E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Cold weather creaks

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 10:21 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 545iS 6 spd, bought new via eBay, 11/05; Blk/Gry, Cold, L7, PDC, BMW Rear seatcover for pets. First "Bumwa" was a new 1971 2002. High performance 5s since 1987. Beamer motorcycles too, currently on an 07 BMW K1200 GT; also a Moto Guzzi 1000 SP III.

Yup it's typical, the colder the weater gets, the more it creaks. That's a perfect demonstration of how the glass is now a stressed component of the body's rigid structure system. Ergo, this is why it is so important to have any windshield replacement done by the DEALER, so that you have someone to fall back on if they screw up. (Sure they contract it out, but they know more about the kind of job these glass houses do than we do).

I know, I had a complete failure of the replacement sealant in my E39 and the water flooded my computer black box below the windshield. The glass company took care of it all, but it was a hassle I shouldn't have gone through.

Crank up the radio on cold mornings (4F here at 8 am today).

Ray Hull
Old 03-02-2006, 06:09 AM
Members

Robert -

I worked with Scott/Dan as well. I stopped by the dealership yesterday to look into ordering an M5 and mentioned the problems to Dan. Do you want to be the first guinea pig or would you like me to? Also, Have you had the software updated to support MP3 yet? I have noticed that there are a few distinct creaks (one by the windshield, some from around the doors, one by the rear seat, and the glove box sometimes).

Tom

Originally Posted by RobertB' post='247067' date='Feb 27 2006, 10:46 PM
You're right - Dave *is* pretty good. When we moved to Davenport from North Carolina, our NC dealership had seen my wife's 2003 330Cic two or three times for a rattle coming from the rear and had been unable to resolve the problem. Dave (and team) diagnosed the problem first time out.

Who was your salesperson? I used Scott, and both he and Dan have been quite helpful (even post sale).

We definitely should talk to Dave soon, before the weather gets too warm (I don't want this to wait until next winter).
Old 03-02-2006, 06:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

I have this problem being fixed at the dealer today. I will post results
Old 03-02-2006, 07:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Yea, it got really cold here in the Sunshine state too - all the way down to 30 and I noticed a creak in my right knee, but nothing on the car yet thankfully

Actually not true, drivers seat does creak when cold but fortunately does not last all that long here so it does go away. Does not even try to creak if above 50, which is nearly all the time.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:55 AM
Contributors

SORRY FOR THE REPOST:
Well here is the latest news. Talked to the service manager today in person. My windshield creaking is a known problem for all e60s and some 7 series. Problem is that these cars flex becasue of there use of aluminum fronts. THERE IS NO REAL FIX AS OF YET. Best they can do is lube the seal around the windshield wich provides a temporary fix. MORE PEOPLE NEED TO COMPLAIN, so that they can come up with a similar fix as the door seals. The service manager seemed very concerned and disapointed that he didnt have a real solution to the problem. I guess I have no choice but to deal with this issue for the time being, it should be better with the lube and warm weather, but I will use this issue when I need freebies from the dealer, like installing my PS2s.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:19 PM
Contributors

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date on this katheikia. I've noticed some creaking too when it is colder outside. :thumbsdown:

Maybe we need a stonger shock tower brace to reduce the front end flex. I put a Strong Strut custom-made strut tower bar on my E38 740i and it made a huge difference. The standard bar in the E60 looks kind of whimpy.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:00 AM
Contributors

Well got my car back yesterday and last night with the temp at 36F, the creaks were still there. The SA manager told me to call him and let him know the outcome. I will call today. Looks like I have to live with this for now, until BMW comes up with a real solution. No big deal, the weather is starting to warm up, so no more creaks. When winter arrives again, I will complain again, hopefully by then they will have a fix.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

I have had this problem every winter and in every BMW.

The ice goes everywhere. It's not only the seals it's also
outside the car, around the doors and windows.

It's the main reason for the squeeky or even creaky sounds.

-15 C in the nights and - 5 during days + snowling = very, very slippry and icy.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:47 AM
Members

My Ride: Ordered: 2006 530i on Oct 1st, and due Mid Nov. 6 speed Manual, Navagation, Premium pkg, Sport pkg, Cold Weather pkg, Prem. Sound Package, Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar wood. 18" 7 Spoke wheels (style 123), euro reflectors, Sat Radio installed.

also the black plastic piece that meets the windshield under the windsheild wipers creaks. A design flaw i feel...i lubed around the screws, and its much quieter now...
Old 03-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

Same here, tons of rattles, creaks during my communte over "excellent" DE roads on cold mornings. My E39 never did this, my wife's Subaru is also dead silent on the same roads....

Quick Reply: Cold weather creaks