E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Cold weather creaks

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 04:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Iowa, and it seems like on the cold mornings, my car just creaks and creaks as I go over the smallest of bumps. My (bad) ears tell me that it sounds like the front windshield and/or ALL the windows creaking against the seals. In the afternoon, if the weather has warmed up a bit, my car is pretty quiet. This is a 2005 530xi. Any ideas?

I think I'm just going to take it to the dealer and let them have a look. It's really annoying. My wife's 2003 330Cic is much quieter than this!
Old 02-26-2006, 05:10 PM
Members

I am in the same club as you: same car, same state, and same creaks. My 2001 330xi was a lot quieter than this car, but I still love the 530xi. I am going to take it to the dealership soon and have them try what they can to quiet it down a bit. What part of Iowa are you in. Take care.

Originally Posted by RobertB' post='246449' date='Feb 26 2006, 07:43 PM
I live in Iowa, and it seems like on the cold mornings, my car just creaks and creaks as I go over the smallest of bumps. My (bad) ears tell me that it sounds like the front windshield and/or ALL the windows creaking against the seals. In the afternoon, if the weather has warmed up a bit, my car is pretty quiet. This is a 2005 530xi. Any ideas?

I think I'm just going to take it to the dealer and let them have a look. It's really annoying. My wife's 2003 330Cic is much quieter than this!
Old 02-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Members

Originally Posted by RobertB' post='246449' date='Feb 26 2006, 08:43 PM

530xi as well in Northern NJ...

I had a similar creak fixed. It seems to happen if the car "flexed" from side to side and creak sounded like the dash being "twisted"... problem was more apparent if "sunny/dry" then if wet - like the humidity "lubricated" the creak somehow...

Search these threads going back about three weeks... my dealer diagnosed the problem as being the plastic trim piece which runs under the window where it attaches to both A pillars...

Tommorow I'll e-mail him to see if he can give me more specifics... whatever he did has quieted my car considearably
Old 02-26-2006, 09:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

I have the same EXACT PROBLEM, only when cold below 40 degrees.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by RobertB' post='246449' date='Feb 26 2006, 07:43 PM

Since you're profile shows "Illinois / Iowa", we may be pretty close. I live in Davenport.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by flavorguy' post='246456' date='Feb 26 2006, 08:16 PM
530xi as well in Northern NJ...

I had a similar creak fixed. It seems to happen if the car "flexed" from side to side and creak sounded like the dash being "twisted"... problem was more apparent if "sunny/dry" then if wet - like the humidity "lubricated" the creak somehow...

Search these threads going back about three weeks... my dealer diagnosed the problem as being the plastic trim piece which runs under the window where it attaches to both A pillars...

Tommorow I'll e-mail him to see if he can give me more specifics... whatever he did has quieted my car considearably
flavorguy - I searched all the sections of this site and didn't find anything. Should I search one of the other BMW web sites? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:11 PM
Members

Originally Posted by RobertB' post='247055' date='Feb 27 2006, 10:03 PM
Since you're profile shows "Illinois / Iowa", we may be pretty close. I live in Davenport.
Hahaha! I live and work in Davenport. Did you buy your car at Kimberly? Maybe if we present our issues at the same time they would have no choice but to correct them. Dave is pretty good about everything, so I am sure there will be no problems.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Topaz330xi' post='247061' date='Feb 27 2006, 10:11 PM
Hahaha! I live and work in Davenport. Did you buy your car at Kimberly? Maybe if we present our issues at the same time they would have no choice but to correct them. Dave is pretty good about everything, so I am sure there will be no problems.
You're right - Dave *is* pretty good. When we moved to Davenport from North Carolina, our NC dealership had seen my wife's 2003 330Cic two or three times for a rattle coming from the rear and had been unable to resolve the problem. Dave (and team) diagnosed the problem first time out.

Who was your salesperson? I used Scott, and both he and Dan have been quite helpful (even post sale).

We definitely should talk to Dave soon, before the weather gets too warm (I don't want this to wait until next winter).
Old 02-27-2006, 09:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 06' 530i Alpine White beige interior

Hey guys move to SOuthern california it is really cold here about 50 degrees. No creaking
Old 02-28-2006, 09:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi, Silver/Black, Steptronic, Prem Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Fold-Down rear seats, Navi.

I'm with you guys...I have an annoying rattle in the front end of my car when going over rough road. Dont know if this is only a winter related noise (I got my 530xi this Jan.). But I did notice something very strange...when we had our snowstorm here in New York, the creaks and rattles from the front end completely disappeared! Silence!

Quick Reply: Cold weather creaks