E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Coilover and lowering springs..

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 05:41 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am still new at these stuffs but can someone educate me on this topic.
I have eibach lowering springs on my 535I and I want to be able to adjust my heights so I figure coilover is the only way to go. If I buy a set of coilovers, can I change my eibach springs into the coilover?? I don't want to waste my eibach springs after I buy the coilover. I am sorry if this is a stupid questions..
Old 06-21-2009, 05:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tim00001' post='918778' date='Jun 21 2009, 08:41 AM
I have eibach lowering springs on my 535I and I want to be able to adjust my heights so I figure coilover is the only way to go. If I buy a set of coilovers, can I change my eibach springs into the coilover?? I don't want to waste my eibach springs after I buy the coilover. I am sorry if this is a stupid questions..
a lot of people are going to say search it.

i dont know much about suspensions but what im going to say is there is no chance your eibach springs are going to be converted into coilovers. coilovers are completely different. If you want to adjust your height then your going to need coilovers. You should try and sell your eibach springs and then move onto the coilovers.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535XI white
Model Year: 2008

if you get coilover, then you dont need your eibach spring
if you want to keep the eibach spring, then get shock only
but i believe most people will see spring and get coilover

Originally Posted by tim00001' post='918778' date='Jun 21 2009, 09:41 AM
Old 06-21-2009, 09:58 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

not a stupid question no worries. +1 coilovers will replace the whole spring and shock setup. if you decide on coilovers, you can try selling your eibach springs. or like said above, you can go aftermarket shocks to complement the springs. personally Im running on bilstein sport shocks with my eibach pro-kits. the height wont be adjustable though.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

word get coilovers if you got the $, ditch the eibachs
Old 06-21-2009, 03:47 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

hi tim,

if you want to adj height you'll have to get rid of your springs and either (1) buy coilovers or (2) get springs that lower the car more.

option 1 is going to be a lot more expensive ($1500-$2000) but well worth it because you'll buy a system that has been built and designed with all components working together. plus, you'll be able to adjust height from ~0.5" - ~2.5" and adjust dampness (softer or harder ride experience).

option2 is going to be the less expensive method (~$300) but without changing the oem shocks you risk blowing them in the future and needing to purchase new ones (~$700). also, there is the possible that because the springs aren't made for your oem shocks you'll get a very uncomfortable ride and trimming your bump stops.

bump stops are what prevent your car from bottoming out and damaging your suspension. they are normally made out of a foam/plastic material so it's not terribly difficult to trim.

hope i answering your question and didn't confuse you with more info.

let me know,

michael
acute performance

Originally Posted by tim00001' post='918778' date='Jun 21 2009, 06:41 AM
Old 06-21-2009, 04:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by myfootsmells' post='919274' date='Jun 21 2009, 06:47 PM
hi tim,

if you want to adj height you'll have to get rid of your springs and either (1) buy coilovers or (2) get springs that lower the car more.

option 1 is going to be a lot more expensive ($1500-$2000) but well worth it because you'll buy a system that has been built and designed with all components working together. plus, you'll be able to adjust height from ~0.5" - ~2.5" and adjust dampness (softer or harder ride experience).

option2 is going to be the less expensive method (~$300) but without changing the oem shocks you risk blowing them in the future and needing to purchase new ones (~$700). also, there is the possible that because the springs aren't made for your oem shocks you'll get a very uncomfortable ride and trimming your bump stops.

bump stops are what prevent your car from bottoming out and damaging your suspension. they are normally made out of a foam/plastic material so it's not terribly difficult to trim.

hope i answering your question and didn't confuse you with more info.

let me know,

Thank you for all your wonderful lesson. What kind of coilover should I get??? I see some on ebay and I see some on myhotbimmer.com ?? can you recommand any brand??
michael
acute performance
Old 06-21-2009, 04:40 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Well I personally sell CROSS Suspension coilovers you can check out here: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=79204

I personally have them on my car and love them.

Michael
Acute Performance
Old 05-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tim00001
Most coilover kits come with matched springs and dampers with a threaded adjustable spring perch. The coilovers also can feature damping adjustments to get the most out of your suspension in a variety of settings.

The Eibach spring will not work too well with coilover shock that was designed to work with the coilover springs.

We can get you great deals on KW, H&R, Eibach, and many other brands if you're leaning towards making the change.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ModBargains II
Most coilover kits come with matched springs and dampers with a threaded adjustable spring perch. The coilovers also can feature damping adjustments to get the most out of your suspension in a variety of settings.

The Eibach spring will not work too well with coilover shock that was designed to work with the coilover springs.

We can get you great deals on KW, H&R, Eibach, and many other brands if you're leaning towards making the change.

Great options. I wonder what the OP decided on 1 year later..

Quick Reply: Coilover and lowering springs..