E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Coil Over Squeeking Noise and or Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had some Bilstein PSS Coil Overs installed 10/11 and shortly afterwards a creaking at what seems in the driver side rear shock tower. Its very apparent when going over expansion joints, dips or slow moving bumps, its VERY annoying difficult to troubleshoot. I had the bushings checked by two independent shops and they said there was no cracks or signs indicating need for replacement. The bolts to the shocks have been check for proper torque and that was good also. I have no idea where to go now but the noise is consistent.

Last thing I want to do is just throw money at the problem and have no idea what to expect as resolution.

Any help would be appreciated and I know trouble shooting noise through the wire is at best a shot in the dark.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Blah blahblah blahblah meh.

I'll be on my 3rd rear upper strut mount just haven't had the time to change it yet. My upper strut mount sqeaks are most noticable going over speed bumps you might have the same problem. I haven't found a way to check mount without taking it off. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ThunderbuttNLeadfoot
I'll be on my 3rd rear upper strut mount just haven't had the time to change it yet. My upper strut mount sqeaks are most noticable going over speed bumps you might have the same problem. I haven't found a way to check mount without taking it off. Good luck.
Since you replaced your's should I do both left and right at the same time if they are indeed squeaking, is there a drawing somewhere I could get a idea of what the top of the mount looks like? I'll be making an appointment with my local dealer after the first of the year to get this looked at.

Thanks for the tip, and please if you have a reference to a drawing somewhere showing the shock body mount point that would be cool!
Old 12-21-2011, 05:21 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Not to be the bearer of bad news but unless they are using rubber bushings the noise will almost always be there. The PSS10s weren't designed to be a street application more for track/racing so this wasn't too important to them.

KSport for example will use rubber bushings on the top mount to prevent noise. I had a 996TT with KSport where they gave me regular bushings and they were noisey just like you described. They sent me rubber bushings to replace and no issues since then.

I don't know if Bilstein carries rubber ones though sorry.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Blah blahblah blahblah meh.

It's the right rear upper strut mount on my car that squeaks. Heres my story on why and how they got that way. Basiclly the rubber portion of the mount has a crack causing them to squeak. I don't think I drive more aggressively than the average enthusiast so how you ask? Well.. the narrow lanes in front of my narrow drive way that goes over a narrow sidewalk and two walls that have (thats right you guessed it) a narrow space between them force me to have to ride half way up the sidewalk to get into my property this in turn causes undue stress on the upper strut mount. My drive way wasn't such a problem with the stock 17" wheels and tires and stock suspension but oh well such is life.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
Not to be the bearer of bad news but unless they are using rubber bushings the noise will almost always be there. The PSS10s weren't designed to be a street application more for track/racing so this wasn't too important to them.

KSport for example will use rubber bushings on the top mount to prevent noise. I had a 996TT with KSport where they gave me regular bushings and they were noisey just like you described. They sent me rubber bushings to replace and no issues since then.

I don't know if Bilstein carries rubber ones though sorry.
I don't have PS9 or PS10 series just the PSS which is suppose to a performance street series, I contacted Bilstein and they stated improper installation could also be the root cause of the noise, but of course trouble shooting noise through the phone is a tricky! I just don't want to throw money down the proverbial pit and would like to convey as much as possible to the Tech that will end up working on the problem at the dealer so instead of guessing taking time $$$ they can go right to the problem correct and I'm out!
Old 12-31-2011, 12:19 PM
Members

Originally Posted by h100250
I had some Bilstein PSS Coil Overs installed 10/11 and shortly afterwards a creaking at what seems in the driver side rear shock tower. Its very apparent when going over expansion joints, dips or slow moving bumps, its VERY annoying difficult to troubleshoot. I had the bushings checked by two independent shops and they said there was no cracks or signs indicating need for replacement. The bolts to the shocks have been check for proper torque and that was good also. I have no idea where to go now but the noise is consistent.

Last thing I want to do is just throw money at the problem and have no idea what to expect as resolution.

Any help would be appreciated and I know trouble shooting noise through the wire is at best a shot in the dark.
Found the problem on my own, I decided what the #### and I sprayed WD40 on the rear sway bar bushings, the reason I did this was the hole looked oblong or not tight around the bar. Anyway I sprayed it down and took the car on a very bumpy street and NO more squeaks so now I'm going to just replace the whole sway bar with a http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-13...-sway-bar.aspx kit and forget about it.