E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

CODING THE iDRIVE

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 01:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N54

OMG

When BMW of Arlington had my car 3 months ago they said they would not code my car for the iPod Dension Gateway because I was attempting to install non OEM equipment...

I went back to them a few days ago stating, 'please do the MP3 coding' ...which in turn does the iPod coding.

Well guess what... they say my production date is too old and they CANNOT complete the coding.

My 04 530i has a production date of NOV 03 and to do the coding it must be SEPT 04 or newer, is this true?

I just want to control my iPod with iDrive already!!!
Old 08-04-2010, 01:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i

Originally Posted by brianstash
OMG

When BMW of Arlington had my car 3 months ago they said they would not code my car for the iPod Dension Gateway because I was attempting to install non OEM equipment...

I went back to them a few days ago stating, 'please do the MP3 coding' ...which in turn does the iPod coding.

Well guess what... they say my production date is too old and they CANNOT complete the coding.

My 04 530i has a production date of NOV 03 and to do the coding it must be SEPT 04 or newer, is this true?

I just want to control my iPod with iDrive already!!!
Yes, that is true. MP3 coding is not possible for the earlier production date. I believe there is a SIB about this. Do you have CD changer or CD changer prep in your car? If so, then they should be able to code it for iPod adapter. That's what I have.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Members

Yes the car is wired from the CD Changer but it does not have it installed. The power and fiber wires ARE there.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:32 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by theXman
Yes, that is true. MP3 coding is not possible for the earlier production date. I believe there is a SIB about this. Do you have CD changer or CD changer prep in your car? If so, then they should be able to code it for iPod adapter. That's what I have.

Hmmm...I thought MP3 coding is one of the requirements for the iPod adapter?
Old 08-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by brianstash
Yes the car is wired from the CD Changer but it does not have it installed. The power and fiber wires ARE there.
So they should be able to code it for ipod adapter.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by balbs
Hmmm...I thought MP3 coding is one of the requirements for the iPod adapter?
No. I don't have MP3 playback capability but I have the iPod adapter activated, because my car had CD changer.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by theXman
So they should be able to code it for ipod adapter.

Well now BMW of Arlington are saying the iPod adapter needs to be installed BEFORE they begin programming. I purposesly took it out before I dropped the car off!

So they have FINALLY bended and said they will attempt the software upgrade WITH the Dension Gateway installed.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

That's ok I was quoted $950 today to install ipod adaptor and code.

Of course...

Never heard of 'enabling Bluetooth' or 'enabling MP3 use' either.

They wanted to up sell me valve cover gaskets but after what they told me about Bluetooth and enabling use of MP3, I will not be taking the car back to this dealer for much of anything else.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Members

I'm getting the same run around. Supposedly my car 05 545i isn't MP3 compatible, this is what my SA emailed me,

I talked to our Diagnostic tech. Your car does not have a CCC which is the computer it needs to install this software. Looked up your car through the BMW site and made sure. There is the possibility of upgrading your radio system, I haven?t looked up pricing but rough estimate is between 2000 and 2500 dollars.
I've found an OEM Ipod kit for $275, but would need to have the car coded after, this is what my SA emailed me,

Just the programming would be $139.00
From what I understand if I do this, I will lose/gain the following?

1. 6 disc changer (no prob)
2. Sirius (why!?!)
3. I will be able to access the PLAYLISTS off the ipod but not the entire ipod library?
4. Will the song titles even show on the iDrive? I have non nav, pre CCC.

All this seems way to complicated for a F***ING ipod retrofit.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Members

Your telling me it's complicated! I've had to argue for 6 days now on 2 separate occasions to get this done and it's still not complete.

BTW... BMW of Arlington wants 1.5 hours of labor to complete the programing. $204

They said they will TRY the programming with the Dension but can't guarantee anything.

Lastly, my suggestion and that of my people on this board are to go with the Dension Gateway 500. I got one for $430 I believe.

From my understanding the issue with JUST playlists or just being able to see just certain things on the iDrive screen have been resolved in newer software updates and that those issue are not part of the Dension.

With the Dension you should be able to see and control everything just as you would on the screen of the iPod. Can anyone confirm this?

Quick Reply: CODING THE iDRIVE