E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

CODING THE iDRIVE

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 08:15 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

I need your help please!

I got quoted by three STEALERS here in Toronto to activate the iPOD Kit with the following:

STEALER 1 = $258 + Tax
STEALER 2 = $360 + Tax
STEALER 3 = 2-3 Hours which equates to ~$420 + Tax assuming 3 hours of programming.

Then I called BMW Buffalo and got quoted $98 for one hour activation.

Before driving to Buffalo this coming Thursday I wanted to check you guys, if the Buffalo dealer made a mistake when quoted me 1 hour labor! How long does it really take to activate this dam thing? I installed the unit and all I need is to activate it. This is frustrating! If what the Buffalo dealer quoted me is right, I will put an official complain to BMW Canada about the treatment that I'm getting from the local dealers. Why would they quote me three hours for programming when it only takes 1 or 1.5 hours???

Please let me know ASAP as I have an appointment this coming Thursday with BMW Buffalo. I don't want to drive 130KM one way to find out that they made a mistake and it is a three hour job. Thanks
Old 07-06-2010, 08:52 AM
Members

I just had mine activated my local dealer and the total charge was $95 + $9.50 for some environmental fee. Said it took them about an hour. Should be the normal rate if you already installed it.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:55 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Search on Google for:
bmw e60 ipod interface installation ASAP

Example:
iPod Interface Retrofit, BMW 5 Series (E 60, E 61), BMW 6 Series (E 63, E 64)

Concluding work and coding
This retrofit system requires coding.
- Connect the battery
- Encode/Program the retrofit with SSS (software service station) via the Retrofit path
- Conduct a brief test
- Conduct a function test

Check that you have the right kit installed. There are different iPod interface kit part numbers, depending on your vehicle and installed factory options. Note that even for a vehicle, part numbers can be different depending on installed options. Give your vehicle VIN to a Parts Advisor to determine the correct iPod interface for your vehicle.

Best case scenario: 0.5 hour coding
Worst case scenario: several hours (PROGMAN update to accommodate MP3 retrofit to accommodate iPod interface)

The PROGMAN update to accommodate MP3 retrofit is covered only under BMW original vehicle warranty (not CPO, extended warranty or third party).

You can specify to the Service Advisor that you'll only pay for the iPod activation and if necessary, the MP3 software retrofit.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i TITANIUM GREY II on Black Dakota Lthr, Comfort Seats, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Active/Dynamic Drive, NAV, Winter Package.

Are you sure there are more than one OEM iPod Interface Kit? How would I know if the kit I bought is the right one?

Originally Posted by vkhong
Search on Google for:

Example:

- Connect the battery
- Encode/Program the retrofit with SSS (software service station) via the Retrofit path
- Conduct a brief test

Check that you have the right kit installed. There are different iPod interface kit part numbers, depending on your vehicle and installed factory options. Note that even for a vehicle, part numbers can be different depending on installed options. Give your vehicle VIN to a Parts Advisor to determine the correct iPod interface for your vehicle.

Worst case scenario: several hours (PROGMAN update to accommodate MP3 retrofit to accommodate iPod interface)

The PROGMAN update to accommodate MP3 retrofit is covered only under BMW original vehicle warranty (not CPO, extended warranty or third party).

You can specify to the Service Advisor that you'll only pay for the iPod activation and if necessary, the MP3 software retrofit.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:44 AM
Senior Members

I found the part number of the unit I bought which is different from the part number listed on the below link, am I in trouble?

Part Number: 65110439425

Would the dealer be able to tell me if this one works on my car?

Originally Posted by vkhong
Search on Google for:

Example:

- Connect the battery
- Conduct a brief test

Old 07-07-2010, 05:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

I had the same experience when I activated my Sirius Satellite Radio that I self installed. Three dealerships/independents quoted me pricing from $300 to $400 and told me that they would need the car all day. I contacted a fourth dealership and was quoted $135 and was told it would take 0.5 to 1 hours. I couldn't believe it, either, but I brought the car in and was out in an hour for $135.

I have a feeling that BMW has eased the process of activating components in iDrive because so many people- customers and dealers alike- bitched about getting stuck for a day's worth of programming. I think that some dealerships continue to charge whatever they like for the service because they are the only game in town. The independent shops I spoke with pretty much told me to go to the dealership and have it done because they couldn't guarantee success.

What a racket BMW has going for them! There's no reason except greed that iDrive isn't plug and play.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N54

I recently installed the Dension Gateway 500 in my 530i. I cannot find someone in the DC area to do my coding!

The first dealer wants 3 hours labor.

The 2nd dealer only wanted 1.5 hours. After having my car for 2 days they called me and said they were afraid to code the car because I installed a 3rd party device and they do want to be responsible for crashing the MOST bus. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO but I have this Dension GW500 in my car and I've yet been able to use it!
Old 07-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by brianstash
I recently installed the Dension Gateway 500 in my 530i. I cannot find someone in the DC area to do my coding!

The first dealer wants 3 hours labor.

The 2nd dealer only wanted 1.5 hours. After having my car for 2 days they called me and said they were afraid to code the car because I installed a 3rd party device and they do want to be responsible for crashing the MOST bus. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO but I have this Dension GW500 in my car and I've yet been able to use it!
I want to install the Dension on mine as well. However I also want to avoid the tech saying they won't work with 3rd party devices as well. So, I recently bought a used CD changer from a forum member and will install that myself and have them code the iDrive to get it going. Then I'll just take it out and put the Dension in its place.

Balbs
Old 07-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

Originally Posted by balbs
I want to install the Dension on mine as well. However I also want to avoid the tech saying they won't work with 3rd party devices as well. So, I recently bought a used CD changer from a forum member and will install that myself and have them code the iDrive to get it going. Then I'll just take it out and put the Dension in its place.

Balbs

You could do that and as long as the dealer does not erase the changer from the CIP during a future update you will be fine. Or if you leave the CDC in, that would be a non issue. BTW You actually have to have the CDC in the car to enable the CDC... The way I do it, you do not need the CDC or even the Dension unit present. You add the MP3 retrofit ( if needed ) and then add BMW approved "Dension" software. It even comes up on the computer as exactly what it is by name (dension) so no issues. Anyway that is how it is done, still can't believe the dealers are acting clueless about this issue for you guys.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:02 AM
Senior Members

I went yesterday to Buffalo and got the iPod activated, for those who live in Buffalo I have to say Town BMW seems to be an honest dealership and not like the other ones (I like their service and honesty). The crap that I couldn't believe (Crap from BMW not the dealer) after one hour of programming the tech came in to the SA and told him that he cannot see the CDs on the iDrive and he suspects that the fiber optics are not connected in the trunk. So the SA asked me what I wanted to do, I gave him the go ahead to fix the issue where they have to remove the back seat to get to the fiber optics. The bullshit that I don't understand from BMW is; why the hell do they leave the cables un-connected during assembly? And why they don't just download all the modules that they have to the iDrive especially when my car was upgraded to the latest firmware back in April of this year during some warranty work prior to the warranty expiry date?

Part of me wants to send BMW Canada a letter asking why Town BMW charged me two hour labor at $98 to do the job while Canadian dealerships wants $300+ JUST for programming? On my way back from Buffalo I was thinking if I really had this job done at a Canadian dealership, the cost would've been over $600!

That's one of the bullshit about BMW that I hate!!!! Milk the customer as much as you can!!!!!

Quick Reply: CODING THE iDRIVE