E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coding

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 12:01 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525xi
Default Coding

Good afternoon, all

been lurking around here for a while but never really posted. I came across some pages earlier referring to coding these cars to unlock/modify certain features.

That being said, im quite curious to see what all can be done on an 06 525xi. Non-xenon headlights (looking to change that if i can find some good replacement Xenon).

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:05 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Not sure what you are asking but if you want to code there are a lot of basics you need to know. I would suggest you join bmwcoding.com, there will be a lot of information to get you started.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:13 AM
New Members

Gee_115

Thank you for the suggestion. i will definitely check them out.

As far as the coding stuff i am referring to, i came across this Carly thing that would allow changes to be made within the car. Im still learning things about it, but i want the DRL turned off and other things. i will keep lurking in this forum to see if there are any tips and tricks for these cars.

Again, thank you for the suggestion.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:07 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530ix
Model Year: 2020

Coding can be fun, but you must be careful and know what you are doing--you can cause quite a bit of damage if you do not know what you are doing--to the point where the car will not run right.

having said that, just read alot, ask questions and get a quality cable. it is easy once you figure it out--but if you cannot troubleshoot your PC, i would probably not try this myself.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:18 AM
New Members

Im a computer forensics and IT security major with some coding experience so hopefully it wont be too bad to figure out lol.

I dont want to do anything crazy, but i like to tinker and figure out what i can and cant do. Id rather have the stuff to do it myself than take it to the dealer for certain things...such as turning the DRL off.

And, thanks for the advice. i do intend on asking as many questions as i can while reading through anything and everything. Thanks again!
Old 08-31-2017, 10:50 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: e60 530i e21 320i
Model Year: 2005 1981
Engine: M54 M10

You can't go wrong with the Carly app with their OBD connector, be it wifi for iOS or Bluetooth for android.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:41 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

I will echo what jtb says, if you're just looking to code a few of the basics and be done with it Carly is tough beat and is certainly a better route than setting up BMW tools on an XP based laptop. If you want to delve further into it then I'd go the laptop/software route.

Either way, if you're in IT then it will be easy for you. It's not that difficult using NCSExpert, just tedious. Turning off DRLs and getting rid of the iDrive disclaimer were the first two things I did.

good luck.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:21 AM
New Members

thanks guys for the response. that app is what i had heard about and was curious to see if anyone on here had messed with it.

Like i stated in a previous comment, only a couple of things i want to do, but if theres more to code to make the car better, then i am all for it. Im curious about the limitations of the app compared to NCSExpert etc.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:59 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530ix
Model Year: 2020

Originally Posted by 06525xi
Im a computer forensics and IT security major with some coding experience so hopefully it wont be too bad to figure out lol.

I dont want to do anything crazy, but i like to tinker and figure out what i can and cant do. Id rather have the stuff to do it myself than take it to the dealer for certain things...such as turning the DRL off.

And, thanks for the advice. i do intend on asking as many questions as i can while reading through anything and everything. Thanks again!
hmm, but if you are like me and a PC guy, (like you said) you will probably not resist to run the WinXP VM and run the full NCSEXPERT tools and go at it that way. ..... just cuz you can...