E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Code readers?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2021, 03:04 AM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 530D Touring M Sport manual
Model Year: 2008

Hi guys, I had a look at the Bimmerfest link on downloading INSTA and also the problems that were being aired by people trying to download it. I also tried to read and understand the first paragraph without success. For instance what does nomeclure mean? its beyond me I'm afraid but thanks to all the guys who have tried to help. I do appreciate it but unfortunately its not for me. thanks again Paneuro
Old 07-31-2021, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 313 Likes on 300 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Yea if you're not tech savvy then DIYing a foreign car can get complicated. That's why INDY shops are out there so you won't spend as much as you would at the dealership. Still expensive but not as expensive.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:13 AM
New Members

Yes you are probably right although it galls me to have to pay for something i should be able to do myself, I don't know why they make this computer speak so complicated by inventing new words that most people have no idea what they mean. I find 5Serise.net difficult enough to navigate never mind INSTA.
Thanks Paneuro.
Old 08-09-2021, 05:52 AM
New Members

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
My Ride: broken e60 with some wheels
Engine: n54

nothing in life is free, either you pay with your time to learn the ISTA/INPA or you pay for somebody to create a userfriendlty app like protool and do everyting with the click of a button in lamons terms.

I learned INPA.ISTA and while I understand it, whipping out an old android phone and firing up protool to do everything without having to lug out my laptop is much more efficient and way less room for error. protool wont let you break anything without saying "hey if you do this, you might break something so stop" lol .

either that or get a honda.
Old 08-09-2021, 02:28 PM
New Members

Hi buddy, thanks for the advice. I'm trying hard to work my way round my problems one step at a time by replacing the cheapest parts to see if it will cure my faults. I have an I phone not an android so don't know how that would suit? Anyway I'll keep trying. thanks Paneuro
P.S. I do have a Honda VF1000 Bol'dor two wheeler.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:44 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530D

I use the INPA and the install kit and software I got from cable-shack.co.uk was very simple to install and use. Just on your issue I have EML due to glow plugs or glow plug controller and the errors will clear for about 30 secs and reappear. My car starts and runs fine and will look to change closer to the winter months as it means stripping the inlet manifold out.
Old 08-10-2021, 10:01 AM
New Members

Hi Woodio, I have Carly and for the last 4 years I have been getting 6 faults on it, these being the 6 glow plugs but never had EML and never had a starting problem. Now I began getting an extra fault being the Crankcase breather vent and EML. I renewed the vent with the up to date version and now I'm back to only 6 glow plug faults but still the EML. I think if I get rid of the EML it needs a new owner! its becoming a bit of a money pit. thanks Paneuro.
Old 08-10-2021, 10:36 AM
New Members

I had a lot of errors early in the year as my brake booster failed and vacum pump started leaking, anyway done lots of work on the car over the last few months and my INPA now shows only glow plugs but EML haunts me . I think this might also be related to my battery or IBS so going to replace both. Slightly off topic but I changed my cranks case breather also this month and when I take off the oil filler cap have more vapour / smoke than I would like. I plan to change my glowplug module in next couple of weeks see if that clears down error codes and removes EML.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:01 AM
New Members

Hi, I have also purchased a glow plug module and have no problem with the fitting but should the glow plugs not be replaced as well at the same time? Glow plugs are notorious for breaking and then that creates bigger problems. Cheers Paneuro.!
The following users liked this post:
Woodio76 (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 11:37 AM
New Members

Paneuro, not a mechnic so take this as you will but personally I would replace module see if it clears down error. Glow Plugs are there for -10 starts on those cold days but not sure if they have any play in the recirculation. If you try module and then see what errors you get as from previous glow plugs probably replaced every 100k plus miles. Keep me posted as will follow your lead on this

Quick Reply: Code readers?