E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Code reader for 2008 bmw 5 series

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 03:22 AM
New Members

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 525i-M Sports 05'
Model Year: 2005

ah right, sorry I overlooked year car you have, mine's an 05 525i so that's why I needed the K-CAN. You will definitely need the DCAN option. I've fixed the link in my previous post as well to avoid confusion. That is more expensive however :/ This package will monitor transmission temperature and reset adaptation, Are you following KyleB's thread on the transmission oil change? then this is the same as what he uses. Don't think the BMWhat app is good for monitoring temperature.

Regarding the BMWhat it's phone based, unless it works as an app on an android tablet/pc?
Old 03-18-2015, 08:37 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 535I

HI Pistratoaie I saw that the ebay site where you bought your INPA package is all sold out for my BMW model. but it seem like that site is link to Bulgaria. Did you have any problem with your order from that site. I have seen a few other site selling the same package but theyre from Romania. Just curious to know if these international sites are safe to buy from without being rip off. in the meantime I am keeping an eye on that site you sent to me for them to update their inventories. thanks
Old 03-18-2015, 07:02 PM
New Members

I was skeptical about it being from Bulgaria too, I would usually never buy from these countries but for the price difference and sifting through the reviews, I gave it a shot. The package arrived in time as stated and in good condition so I was happy with this particular seller from personal experience. There are definitely shady ones out there and mostly from these countries so be cautious at all times about buying from them. This one I was happy with
Old 03-20-2015, 07:29 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 535I

Hi Pistratoaie I am going to take my chances with the package from Bulgaria I think I am covered by Ebay policies since I am here in the USA and the goods is not digital. Thanks for the heads up I will let you know how things went as soon as i get an email from the seller stating my order is shipped. It still kinda cold here so I am trying to get all the things I will need to fix my transmission problem.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:37 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 525ix (N52 Engine)

There's a lot of items on ebay. Most of them are like 24.99 with the CD and cable, which im kinda sketched out about. Id love to have NCS Expert, just in case. I want the BMWhat app and cables just because it seems like a lot of the people here say its good. If you can code folding mirrors, daytime lights, aux etc with that app then I might just get it in the next few days. I also want to register my battery, because i have the passenger restraint error (I feel like that needs to be reset to see if the mat sensor is actually busted), i get a interior temperature fan senor code and well I have heard that the battery causes a lot of codes to pop up etc due to not having enough power so the car automatically distributes more power to the more important things in the car. Iv had my new battery since January, and i didnt want to register it but it seems like I might just have to do it maybe it will clear up a few codes.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:17 PM
New Members

let us know how it goes black_prince

Kasmo:
Unless the battery is a direct replacement of the same size, in almost all cases you're supposed to register the new battery so the car knows how much to use it/charge/etc otherwise this new battery could be almost dead because the car hasn't been charging it enough. So registering the battery might eradicate those codes for you. The BMWhat app does do battery registering at I believe 10 euros extra as in-app purchase, very handy. dependent on the model of car the app might not actually code mirrors or aux for example. NCS is where you go to get these type of coding done, although finding a good place to buy it can be the hard part. and the cheaper, the higher the skepticism!

Last edited by Pistratoaie; 03-30-2015 at 11:17 PM. Reason: corrected in-app pricing
Old 03-30-2015, 03:03 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 525ix (N52 Engine)

Originally Posted by Pistratoaie
let us know how it goes black_prince

Kasmo:
Unless the battery is a direct replacement of the same size, in almost all cases you're supposed to register the new battery so the car knows how much to use it/charge/etc otherwise this new battery could be almost dead because the car hasn't been charging it enough. So registering the battery might eradicate those codes for you. The BMWhat app does do battery registering at I believe $1-2usd extra as in-app purchase, very handy. dependent on the model of car the app might not actually code mirrors or aux for example. NCS is where you go to get these type of coding done, although finding a good place to buy it can be the hard part. and the cheaper, the higher the skepticism!
I bought the BMWWhat cables (they were like 42 bucks, and the BMWhatt app which was like 59) and got the cables 2 days later (On amazon, Prime Membership Trial let me do 2 day shipping for free). I scanned my car and was shocked to find 16 codes. lol. I cleared them, drove the car, and ran the diagnostics a few times more to makes sure everything is alright. And it is. I registered the battery, the ability to do so was almost 12 bucks. I registered it, but it seemed really easy... All i did was select the battery detected and clicked register, after maybe 1 min.., the app said Battery Registered Successfully.

So this all cost me: 42+59+12 = 113 dollars. Still cheaper than going to the dealer. lol

I havent played around with the coding part, might do that this upcoming weekend. Lots of options. Hoping to code my angel eyes to turn on when unlocking the car etc. Aux I already had when I got the car, so not too worried, mirrors are a different story lol. I have the option in my car, just need to program and get the mirrors.
Old 03-30-2015, 11:14 PM
New Members

Awesome. You're right about the in-app purchase, much higher than what I said earlier. almost 10euros now must've gone up but I don't know where I got 1usd from lol. And now that you have got the app you can access and do these things at any time = priceless! Is your 5er a pre-LCI? if you've got LM1 you might not be able to get the lights on when unlocking, at least not from what I've found the rest is plausible
Old 03-31-2015, 02:20 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by Kasmo
So this all cost me: 42+59+12 = 113 dollars. Still cheaper than going to the dealer. lol
yep!

that's the beauty of these DIY packages. they pay for themselves the first time you use them.
Old 03-31-2015, 02:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 535
Model Year: 2008

I have a 2008 535i and I got BMWhat dongle and app. Got my car programmed with a digital speedo, removed the seatbelt chime and much much more!

Plus I read the error codes and erased them a bunch of times. It's a must have for a BMW owner. If not for programming then for error code reading.

Quick Reply: Code reader for 2008 bmw 5 series