E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Code P0171 & P0174 ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 04:36 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has any one tried Sea Foam or have any recomendations?
Old 10-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

No, never heard of it. For what the codes above? I believe those mean that bank1 and bank2 are running lean. This just comes to mind as I don't normally memorize codes but those are very common codes. I could probably google it but I'm pretty sure about those If I'm wrong please let me know. Just pick yourself up a code reader like V-Checker and clear the codes. Switch to Premium and you should be fine. Give car stats...when was the last time you changed your plugs? How about 02 sensors? Have you modified your airbox or messed with MAFS or ANY of the tubing? If so, check it all out because a nice vaccum leak is most likely the issue but keep in mind about the above things as it could be any one of those.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
No, never heard of it. For what the codes above? I believe those mean that bank1 and bank2 are running lean. This just comes to mind as I don't normally memorize codes but those are very common codes. I could probably google it but I'm pretty sure about those If I'm wrong please let me know. Just pick yourself up a code reader like V-Checker and clear the codes. Switch to Premium and you should be fine. Give car stats...when was the last time you changed your plugs? How about 02 sensors?

I have now over 74.000 miles on original plugs . I have a code reader and that is exactly right what the codes are are and I am running Premium 91 octane.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Members

I believe thats the same code I had before. I had them check everything and there was nothing to really fix. Cleared the code and have not seen anything back since.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:16 PM
Members

My Ride: Titanium Silver 2008 550i 6MT. Matte black grille and numbers. Carbon roundels. Eibach springs and sway bars. Bilstein struts. UUC SSK. Smoked LED side markers.

Sea Foam is usually used to take carbon build up off the intake valves. If it were setting misfire faults, running rough or hesitating, then Sea Foam might help. These codes are indicating there's an air leak somewhere. This might sound like a silly question, but did someone just do an oil change? If they didn't put the cap on properly and created a crankcase vent leak then this might be the cause.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Qper2007
Sea Foam is usually used to take carbon build up off the intake valves. If it were setting misfire faults, running rough or hesitating, then Sea Foam might help. These codes are indicating there's an air leak somewhere. This might sound like a silly question, but did someone just do an oil change? If they didn't put the cap on properly and created a crankcase vent leak then this might be the cause.

Dang! I changed the oil yesterday and I noticied the last time I changed my oil I got the same reading. I will look at that cap in the morning and retighten it.

Thanks!
Old 10-03-2011, 08:16 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

LOL, classic vaccum leak. oil cap, head gasket, intake box and hoses....you'll find the issue soon or later. You're ok for now...now that i think of it, last time i had those codes I did the DISA and forgot to put that TINY tube on the main intake hose. Stewpid me.
But trust me if you had the oil cap on incorrectly or off you'll have sputtering very badly not just codes. Your car will literally choke.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:13 AM
Senior Members

I had these same codes about 6 months ago. Just went under the hood made sure hoses were tight checked for leaks, gave the MAF sensor a good clean and codes were gone after a few drives afterwards.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by southgate
I had these same codes about 6 months ago. Just went under the hood made sure hoses were tight checked for leaks, gave the MAF sensor a good clean and codes were gone after a few drives afterwards.

What did you use to clean the MAF sensor?
Old 10-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Senior Members

CRC Mass Air Flow sensor cleaner, bought it at Autozone.

Quick Reply: Code P0171 & P0174 ?