E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Clutch rattle in neutral when pressed 1/3 down. Dmf replaced

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 04:11 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 525d
Default Clutch rattle in neutral when pressed 1/3 down. Dmf replaced

Hey got 180k on the clock. Car started rattling when engaging he clutch got quite bad started feeling a grumble in the peddle so got the flywheel clutch and release bearing changed. The car had bad flywheel symptoms (rattle when coasting ect) after the replacement the flywheel noises and issues went away. But however the rattle is still there. A lot quieter but still there.

When the car hasn't been driven for a while it's quiet but after approx 15mins of town driving it will get louder. Once the car has cooled for a few hours it goes quiet again.

It only rattles when the clutch is engaged 1/3 of the way and when fully depressed or released, no noise. If I hold the clutch 1/3 of the way down in neutral and raise the revs the sound increases with the revs up until approx 2k then the vibrations and noise of the diesel engine drown it out.

It seems to get louder when I thrash the car about quicker.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:14 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

When you say "clutch" did you mean the clutch disc AND the clutch pressure plate assembly?

How about when you're fully engaged in any gear are there any noises still? Or is it ONLY happening when lightly (1/3) depressed? I take it there are no noises when in neutral revving or idling?

Sounds to me like a bad throw out bearing (aka release bearing) only because when you lightly depress the clutch in neutral you hear the noise but, your saying that has already been replaced. Now it could also mean bad fingers on the pressure plate. I'm assuming that has been changed out too.

Did you get the old parts back to inspect?
Old 10-07-2013, 10:42 AM
New Members

Yes the original dmf springs were gone and the release bearing was knakered. The clutch, pressure plate dmf and bearing had all been replaced. When fully engaged in gear it's fine. But can feel it whenever the clutch pedal reaches that specific spot/area. In neutral no noises.
The release beating was a brand new Sachs one. Can't have failed within 1mile surely? Possibly not packed with enough copper grease?
Old 10-07-2013, 01:07 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

The only other thing I can think of is the release fork, the part that actually applies pressure on the release bearing. Maybe this part is loose or broke in some fashion.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 09 550i 6sp M-Tech. 18mm spacers rear, 8mm front. Dinan intake and Stage 2 tune. Tinted tails, M5 OEM lip spoiler. 08 Z4 3.0si Black on Black with Beige top. Removable hardtop. (Hers) 06 Volvo S60R Heavily Modded!! Gone and missed.

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat
The only other thing I can think of is the release fork, the part that actually applies pressure on the release bearing. Maybe this part is loose or broke in some fashion.
I was thinking the pivot point for the fork maybe.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:49 PM
New Members

Took it in for inspection today. Mech said it was the pivot part that's going. My question now is how long can I drive with a faulty one and is it dangerous to keep driving with a failed one (will it kill the box)
If it turns out to be the fork aswel is that dangerous and is there any signs of knowing its going to fail. (Like a slipping clutch indicates the clutch on its way out?)
Old 10-10-2013, 04:51 PM
New Members

Thanks for all your help. Makes it so much easier to talk to mechanics that aren't too experienced on the e60s. Otherwise I say 'its making a noise when I press the clutch' and the response is 'it could be a number of things really' with big "$$$" signs in their eyes!