E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Clutch ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 07:15 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i carbon black / dakota black / sport package / 19' beyern wheels - 285 rear with 15mm offset

Hello everyone!
I got a 04 545i with 33k. Brought it to my dealer on tuesday to replace throwout bearing. My advisor called me back yesterday morning telling me that they will change my flywheel and clutch assembly as well all under warranty. I was reallly excited and picked up the car today but noticed big diffrence. The clutch pedal was so light as almost nothing was connected to it. When I floor the pedal it feels like the engine revs up a little faster then the car is going altough it doesnt feel like its slipping. My pedal was firm before and I loved it. Now it feels like some 4 cyl japanese car. Anyone have any idea on what could it be or maybe thats the way new clutch supossed to work and I just got to get use to it? Any help or advice would be apreciated.
This forum ROCKS !!!
Old 01-31-2008, 09:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

Yes, a new clutch assembly and throwout bearing will make it easier to depress the clutch pedal. When the throwout bearing is worn, the effort needed to depress the clutch pedal increases. I had mine replaced at ~20,000 miles after I took the car in one day asking them to check why the clutch was squeaking and was tougher to depress. Disappointing, but thank goodness for the warranty. And yes, it's supposed to have that "Japanese 4-cylinder" feel. My 92 Accord's clutch feels pretty much the same as my 550's. (And after 280,000 miles, the throwout bearing in my Accord is still going strong).
Old 02-01-2008, 06:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i carbon black / dakota black / sport package / 19' beyern wheels - 285 rear with 15mm offset

Roleez, thank you so much for the info, I feel allot better now. My SA just called me back and told me that its supossed to feel this way and I just wasnt use to it.
Thank you so much buddy.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i titanium grey 6 speed manual with light grey interior. Nav, L7, cold weather, sport, sat. Modifications: suede headliner, pianno black interior trim, Ipod dock, Mtech front bumper, Angel Eyes, and flat black kidney grills.

Originally Posted by B M What' post='525662' date='Jan 31 2008, 08:15 PM
Hello everyone!
I got a 04 545i with 33k. Brought it to my dealer on tuesday to replace throwout bearing. My advisor called me back yesterday morning telling me that they will change my flywheel and clutch assembly as well all under warranty. I was reallly excited and picked up the car today but noticed big diffrence. The clutch pedal was so light as almost nothing was connected to it. When I floor the pedal it feels like the engine revs up a little faster then the car is going altough it doesnt feel like its slipping. My pedal was firm before and I loved it. Now it feels like some 4 cyl japanese car. Anyone have any idea on what could it be or maybe thats the way new clutch supossed to work and I just got to get use to it? Any help or advice would be apreciated.
This forum ROCKS !!!
I got my 04 545i with 21k miles on it CPO. I wish I knew what the clutch on that car felt like when it was new. I don't even mind that it requires no effort to put down the pedal either. What I do mind is all the slipping, sticking, and rattling noises at low speeds. I had the dealer look at it and they replaced the rear differential ( at 28k miles ). That did fix the clanking noise in the rear but the clutch is so jerky and clanky that I just do not enjoy driving it at all. The best I can do is keep it at about 1200 rpm or more as I go into first to avoid the clanking and jerking as it grabs and slips, then I wait a full second and a half as I make my 1st to 2nd gear change. Basically I baby it all the time. Under moderate to heavy acceleration it can be very smooth almost unreal as long as I take extra slow shifts. The slow shifting is due to the heavy dual mass flywheel that takes so long to slow down once the throttle is released. At 6k rpm the correct rev match for the next gear up would be about 4.2k rpm so it takes 1 to 1.5 full seconds to up -shift. Maybe I do not know how to shift. Maybe I am not used to a 200+ HP car with a lot of weight to pull and a big flywheel and big tranny. This car weighs double what my E30 did and the power is about double.