E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cluster help Plz

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 05:07 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: bmw e60
Default Cluster help Plz

I have problem with my cluster.
I just change my cluster to used one due a problem was in my car (drain battery because the cluster) so I get used one and the problem gone but now I have another problem which is the tamper dot. all service record on the Idrive marked with yellow triangle. and the cluster showing the wrong millage.

did the Vin change to the cluster will fix the service record on the Idrive or I have to deal with tamper dot?

any idea
Old 11-12-2015, 04:23 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

You have a big problem. The tamper dot is visible because the VIN number in the Cluster(KOMBI) does not match the VIN in the CAS. The CAS and KOMBI works together to store all the cars info such as mileage and maintenance. The KOMBI is primary for mileage and maintenance with the CAS serving as a permanent backup in case the KOMBI needs replacing. So generally you cannot replace both at the same time without losing all of the car's info. (just some background info).

You can imagine the fraud if you could just replace the KOMBI anytime you feel like it. Therefore, if you replace the Kombi it needs to be with a brand new Kombi so the car's VIN can be programmed then all the car's info will transfer properly. There is no programmable way to change the VIN in the KOMBI, at least not with any current software. I have heard that the chip can be removed and reprogrammed but never heard of any one actually doing it.

I have had this issue before, thus my knowledge. Your best bet is to search for a new KOMBI. I was able to find a brand new one for $150 from the UK, some of the signs were different but works ok (actually the only difference was that there was no service light rather there was one check engine light. I was lucky I doubt you will find one for that price.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:41 PM
New Members

My Ride: 545i

If the used cluster had higher milage than your car it will always display the higher milage . You have to clear the Vin and milage with a programmer before installing to your car and then code it with Ncs with a blank MAN file.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:34 PM
New Members

My Ride: bmw e60

Originally Posted by Gee_115
You have a big problem. The tamper dot is visible because the VIN number in the Cluster(KOMBI) does not match the VIN in the CAS. The CAS and KOMBI works together to store all the cars info such as mileage and maintenance. The KOMBI is primary for mileage and maintenance with the CAS serving as a permanent backup in case the KOMBI needs replacing. So generally you cannot replace both at the same time without losing all of the car's info. (just some background info).

You can imagine the fraud if you could just replace the KOMBI anytime you feel like it. Therefore, if you replace the Kombi it needs to be with a brand new Kombi so the car's VIN can be programmed then all the car's info will transfer properly. There is no programmable way to change the VIN in the KOMBI, at least not with any current software. I have heard that the chip can be removed and reprogrammed but never heard of any one actually doing it.

I have had this issue before, thus my knowledge. Your best bet is to search for a new KOMBI. I was able to find a brand new one for $150 from the UK, some of the signs were different but works ok (actually the only difference was that there was no service light rather there was one check engine light. I was lucky I doubt you will find one for that price.
Originally Posted by marco211
If the used cluster had higher milage than your car it will always display the higher milage . You have to clear the Vin and milage with a programmer before installing to your car and then code it with Ncs with a blank MAN file.
Thanks guys, I just find guy in TX will clear the data from the EEPROM. Then yes I'll code it to the car.
Old 11-18-2015, 02:09 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 535XI
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by Essa
Thanks guys, I just find guy in TX will clear the data from the EEPROM. Then yes I'll code it to the car.
Is that DAN by any chance??
Old 12-02-2015, 09:12 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi.
yes its possible i did it on a E60 2004 530d.. to get back your original mileage, you have to remove the old eeprom and putting a new one ( you have to take the backup file from the CAS) and after pluging back the cluster it will show the updated info ( maleage..service...)

sorry for my English, i'm from morocco