E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Clock Chime - strange variation

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 07:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525i, Orient Blue, bought used with 22000 miles. Grey lether, sport package, BMW Assist, Cold Weather package. Xenons. NOT premium for some reason, I do like the metal finish vs. the wood, but do miss the garage opener.

I have my hourly chime set to on. I have noticed that sometimes it chimes a full 5 seconds before the hour change actually shows up on my instrument cluster display and then other times it chimes a bit after the hour has actually turned. Seems like this would not be possible unless there are 2 clocks in the computer somewhere. Seems like the computer would be very logical, either the hour has turned or not. It wouldn't say "oh, it's almost time, I'll go 'head and ring." and then go "hey, whoah, there goes the hour, better do that chime thingy."

By the way, been reading the forum, and this is my second post. Great forum. I joined to start learning about how to get bluetooth in my 11/03 build 525i. I'm hoping (and gathering from here) that all I need is a new TCU. I have the assist so I think that gives me the mic wiring. But that's off topic, the point is, great forum! Thanks -rl
Old 02-28-2005, 08:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: GONE BUT NOT FOGOTTEN : 530d SE Auto : Titanium Grey / Anthracite Leather, Poplar Trim, 18in 123 Style Alloys, Adaptive Bi-Xenons, Business Nav, Hi-Fi Speaker Package, Heated seats, Split-Fold Rear Seats LR DISCO 3 HSE with everything (including 3 kids)

Yes I've notice the same and its very annoying since it can't be too hard to get it right.

My assumption is that the "chime process" that runs on the iDrive computer is given a fairly low priority compared to everything else that it has to do and sometimes it comes in early or late. It really depends on how the sofware is written.
Old 02-28-2005, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Keep in mind that the series of chimes is supposed to lead up to the top of the hour so it actually is supposed to begin chiming a few seconds before the clock rolls over. The final, longer chime is supposed to be the one that is on the hour...
Old 02-28-2005, 09:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

This is a function in the I-drive you can turn on and turn off. I found it yesterday. I think it is in the time feature in the main menue.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Depending on the software version, it used to be called "hour memo" but I think they renamed it "memo" or maybe "time" as you said bmwin14rsm.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 520dA coming up.

Originally Posted by marty530d' date='Feb 28 2005, 07:40 PM
Yes I've notice the same and its very annoying since it can't be too hard to get it right.

My assumption is that the "chime process" that runs on the iDrive computer is given a fairly low priority compared to everything else that it has to do and sometimes it comes in early or late.? It really depends on how the sofware is written.
[snapback]95281[/snapback]
I don't think that a sophisticated computer like the i-drive will not be able to do something simple like a chimeon the exact change of an hour. Every cheap electronic buzzer can do that since the 70's.
I think it is made that way on purpose, like not to distract you because you get focused on the chime and keep watching the clock instead of the road.
Just a suggestion.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport (M sport steering, M sport sills, M sport suspension, 18inch M style wheels) Carbon black, black nasca, dark wood, dechromed, folding mirrors, extended lights, sun protect glazing, grad tinted winscreen, servotronic steering, heated, ventilated active comfort seats, extended voice control, hi-fi speakers, hud, active cruise, split folding rear seats, rear electric blind, rear manual blinds visbility pack (xenons, adaptive headlights), media pack (6 CD, prof nav, bluetooth with telematics and assist)

Originally Posted by garehaan' date='Feb 28 2005, 01:52 PM
[quote name='marty530d' date='Feb 28 2005, 07:40 PM']Yes I've notice the same and its very annoying since it can't be too hard to get it right.

My assumption is that the "chime process" that runs on the iDrive computer is given a fairly low priority compared to everything else that it has to do and sometimes it comes in early or late.? It really depends on how the sofware is written.
[snapback]95281[/snapback]
I don't think that a sophisticated computer like the i-drive will not be able to do something simple like a chimeon the exact change of an hour. Every cheap electronic buzzer can do that since the 70's.
I think it is made that way on purpose, like not to distract you because you get focused on the chime and keep watching the clock instead of the road.
Just a suggestion.
[snapback]95298[/snapback]
[/quote]

Its not about sophistication, its more about the processor speed and the amount of other things that have to be done - I've been a software engineer for a long time and the 'low on the list of priorities' explanation sounds quite plausible to me. However that doesn't explain why it would chime before the clock updates, unless of course the clock update has a lower priority than the chime, and therefore the chime is actually more accurate than the clock update - however then we wouldn't explain the chime after the clock.

Another possibility would be that the display process polls the clock at different intervals to the chime process - in otherwords they are independent processes that access the same clock, just whenever they get processor time or at different intervals.

In any case, I too would find that annoying, but I think that is probably preferable to the wipers turning on 5 seconds after you switched them on
Old 02-28-2005, 10:42 AM
Contributors

I had that problem when i had business NAV. After upgrading to Pro Nav the chime got accurate!
Old 02-28-2005, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by New535' date='Feb 28 2005, 02:41 PM
However that doesn't explain why it would chime before the clock updates, unless of course the clock update has a lower priority than the chime, and therefore the chime is actually more accurate than the clock update - however then we wouldn't explain the chime after the clock.
[snapback]95314[/snapback]
As I said above, it's supposed to begin chiming before the clock rolls over. The last chime is the one that marks the hour...
Old 02-28-2005, 11:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 528i
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Feb 28 2005, 02:27 PM
[quote name='New535' date='Feb 28 2005, 02:41 PM']However that doesn't explain why it would chime before the clock updates, unless of course the clock update has a lower priority than the chime, and therefore the chime is actually more accurate than the clock update - however then we wouldn't explain the chime after the clock.
[snapback]95314[/snapback]
As I said above, it's supposed to begin chiming before the clock rolls over. The last chime is the one that marks the hour...
[snapback]95329[/snapback]
[/quote]
We know its supposed to begin before the hour turns, but I get the last "hour" chime as much as 10 seconds before the hour display changes. And it is not consistent. It is never synchronized with the display.

Quick Reply: Clock Chime - strange variation