E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Climate Settings

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 06:56 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Im with you 555, i have been writing about this for the last couple of weeks, i like warm air even hot blowing on my hands and face, i dont like the fact of the cool air out of the main vents, when you need heat in a hurry it just takes to long to heat those perspective areas. I do have the cold weather package so i can turn on the seat heaters and steering heater which i have to do to get that area warm. Ice i have to dissagree with all bmws my e34 can blow heat out of all vents except the ones at the end of the console for the rear passengers another mistake by BMw if you ask me, i know it was said that it is for a fatige factor but a smart long time driver as i am sure we are can adjust the heat from our upper bodies if we feel fatigued, i just wish a lot of little things could have been left for the owner driver to tinkle with.

Also 555, i have noticed and queried the board that the original software for the hvac had more heat comming from the dash vents, when it still had the pictorial on it it was not till 13.3 came out that i lost my warmer air from the dash vents if i can remember correctly.

I am sure that it is software related because i can switch it from auto in some config to heat and heat is booming from the vents for a sec or two till the steppers adjust and blocks off the main vents or opens them slightly to fresh air.

i have also noticed just yesterday when my wife drove with her key that i can have more heat out of the dash vents and the climate settings are the same for her key and mine go fiqure

So long story short you are not the only one to notice this 555
Old 11-29-2004, 09:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 530I Sport Package, Premium Package, Xenon Headlights, Jet Black, Black Dakota Leather, 20" Hartge Classic 9" Front, 10" Rear, Pirelli P-Zero Nero 245, 30, ZR 20 Fronts and 285, 25, ZR 20 Rears, Ipod using I-Trip

I agree... Today, for the first time, my hands were cold when I entered the vehicle, and I could not get warm air out of the main vents unless I set the I-Drive Climate controls to RED. That is a little annoying.

Does anyone have a work around to make the main vents blow warm air, without touching the Idrive?
Old 11-29-2004, 09:34 PM
Guest_Stranger_*

Originally Posted by kflashdot.com' date='Nov 30 2004, 01:15 AM
I agree...? Today, for the first time, my hands were cold when I entered the vehicle, and I could not get warm air out of the main vents unless I set the I-Drive Climate controls to RED.? That is a little annoying.?

Does anyone have a work around to make the main vents blow warm air, without touching the Idrive?
[snapback]62361[/snapback]
One simple but a bit silly way ...

Use your 2 keys as "cold" or "warm" weather keys.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:37 AM
Teg
Members

Don't forget for the E-60 to control the humidity you must leave the AC on. Here in Chicago this helps a lot!
Old 11-30-2004, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by kflashdot.com' date='Nov 30 2004, 01:15 AM
I agree...? Today, for the first time, my hands were cold when I entered the vehicle, and I could not get warm air out of the main vents unless I set the I-Drive Climate controls to RED.? That is a little annoying.?

[snapback]62361[/snapback]
Turn on the steering wheel heater?
Old 11-30-2004, 07:07 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Nov 29 2004, 03:57 PM
I have my A/C on Auto all the time and it works perfect!
[snapback]62147[/snapback]
I'm With Iceman here, Just pick a temp that works for you and leave it alone. the auto controls will take care of the rest.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pbarch1' date='Nov 30 2004, 10:07 AM
[quote name='Iceman' date='Nov 29 2004, 03:57 PM']I have my A/C on Auto all the time and it works perfect!
[snapback]62147[/snapback]
I'm With Iceman here, Just pick a temp that works for you and leave it alone. the auto controls will take care of the rest.
[snapback]62478[/snapback]
[/quote]

I agree, I havent touched the controls since I first set them. The temp has been perfect for me in outside temps ranging from 20 - 100 deg F. I don't use the auto recirculate function - I wonder if there is a difference in the output depending on the recirc setting?
Old 11-30-2004, 08:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i, Jet Black, Black Leather, Automatic, Cold Weather, Sirius Prep and Radio, Premium Package, Xenon Lights.

I totally agree as well. I love the climate control.

Most cars I have driven (Acura, Lexus, Honda) shut down the middle vents when you set for Heat. The BMW on the other hand blows slightly cool air in your face - which I find a great bonus. You don't get so doggone sweated up from the heat that way.

Set it in the i-Drive the way you like, and use Auto. It's wonderful and far more sophisticated than a standard brainless sedan's controls.
Old 11-30-2004, 09:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i, SMG, Silver Grey, Black leather w/anthracite trim, Premium, Sport, Cold, Rear Fold Down Seats, Rear Seat Heating, Xenons. Mods: 545i chrome grill, Euro Red Reflectors and 20% window tint. Coming Soon: Dual LCD monitors w/DVD and Subwoofer install.

One thing I find annoying about the red and blue bars is that if I move them to far one way or another, my auto climate control switches off. In my E46, I used auto-climate all the time, but could use the manual dial to go from blowing cold to hot air while still being in auto climate mode.

In my E60 (2005 530), I want auto on all the time and I do not want it to turn off if I move from 4 blue bars to 4 red bars. Anyone notice this problem?

I have no problem with the control being in the I-drive, I just don't want it to turn off when I make the cold/hot adjustment.

Matt
Old 11-30-2004, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Speaking about cold weather I can highly recommend the steering wheel heater and the ext heater.
I start the heater from my home 30 minutes before I'll enter the car and it is very comfortable warm in there. I then switch the steering wheel heater on and buckle up, set my destination in the nav and turn on the phone... Steering wheel is warm... I drive off...
Ah, yeah, I forgot to mention the seat heater...

Quick Reply: Climate Settings