E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

clear bra and m-aero kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 06:11 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 E60 530 xi six speed manual/Silver gray-auburn/18inch-style123wheels/premium sound and package/HUD/PDC/sport/coldpackage/Sirius/M-aero kit/Nav/comfortseats/shades/comfort access tires: 245 40 18 Sottozero Pirelli winters (non runflats) 2004 RX330 Lexus - crystal white - reliable, quiet, and the "beater" car for ski trips, hauling, etc. 1995 E34 540i 6 speed black/truffle interior/alpinemp3/XMradio/M5 alloys (Many tears...sold to a fellow Boston bimmer enthusiast!)

Question to those with an M-aero kit and a clear bra -

does the film cover the entire front bumper and spoiler as well as the front part of the hood and nose and mirrors?

How long can you wait before deciding on a bra? I suppose the surface needs to be perfect to minimize risk of air bubbles under the surface?
Old 11-06-2005, 06:46 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

I would imagine the surface, as long as it's in reasonable shape, could be prepped for a clear bra install at any time...
Old 11-06-2005, 06:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

The clear bra covers all of the areas you mentioned. I have seen some that also cover the headlights too. Most places have sheets of the material (3m?)and use a computer program that cuts the material to your cars specifications which they type in. If you do decide to add clear bra, I highly recommend you do it ASAP...if you do any kind of driving at at all, you risk the chance of nicking the front end by road debris and that paint is pretty soft up there. When my 550i arrives, It will go straight to the tinter and clear bra installer.
Attached Thumbnails clear bra and m-aero kit-clearbra.jpg  
Old 11-07-2005, 09:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

So if you get a clear bra - then no wax?
Do you have to change it every year or ever? Does it scratch?
Does Victoria Secret make one?
Old 11-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='194694' date='Nov 7 2005, 10:04 AM
The installer will remove the wax.

I have had mine for a year now and still in good shape.

I did scratch it on my bumper, but crawling in between the car and my work bench with a knife clip - however the paint underneath is fine. I have left it as a reminder of how good of a protector it is.

The film on my hood is still perfect.

Don't know about Victoria Secret.

I would recommend it highly ASAP. I waited about 4000 miles and decided to do it after I had a couple of stone chips on my hood.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I just got mine installed over the weekend and I have the M-Tech Kit. I got mine from Invisiguard and he used Llumar film which was the best fit for my black paint. Jeremy from Invisiguard had pieces that were cut from a computer program for the M-Tech front spoiler. They were exact fit. I also got coverings for the headlights and the foglights. Those were 3M film. Hood, complete bumper, headlights, foglights and side mirrors...all covered.

I also suggest that you do it ASAP. I had just gotten my M kit installed a couple weeks ago so I wanted it protected.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

It has very good coverage on the M-Tech bumper. I can take some pics later on in the day to show you the edges and how the coverage is.

But yes get it asap usually recommended is within 100 miles of the car. There shouldnt be any problems with air bubbles and such... a good installer will know how to install it w/out bubbles.

I have the X-Pel Design on mine and it has very good coverage. Check it out here. You can see the cut out and the shape of the bra.

http://www.xpel.com/products/configurator.asp

Hood, Mirror, Fender Coverage

M-Tech Bumper

Theres also a head light coverage kit but theres no pic... CLick on my sig to see the coverage of the old std hood and stock bumper coverage

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='194694' date='Nov 7 2005, 10:04 AM
No you can wax it... treat it as normal paint. But I use Plexus to treat it. Its a Boating product... and it seems to be working pretty good.

Nope dont have to change it every year... it should last a long time if you take care of it. I had mine on my MINI for almost 3 years and its still looks good as new. No problems. and it doesnt scratch... I mean it will but its more durable than paint. A lot more.

No Victory Secrets doesnt make one for the E60 yet.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Yep, treat it as you would treat paint, wash and wax as usualy. Clear bras are designed to let the sun rays through so that the paint underneath is wearing out evenly with the paint that's not covered. That's one of the big advantage of clear bras over those old fashion leather bras.

If you ever want to remove it, it can be easily taken off with a heat gun. But on that note, why would you want to take it off? I had asked that question before and as I asked my installer again, it dawned on me that I have no reason to want to take it off. It adds to the resell value of your car and plus, not like you can reuse it on another car....
Old 11-07-2005, 01:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 E60 530 xi six speed manual/Silver gray-auburn/18inch-style123wheels/premium sound and package/HUD/PDC/sport/coldpackage/Sirius/M-aero kit/Nav/comfortseats/shades/comfort access tires: 245 40 18 Sottozero Pirelli winters (non runflats) 2004 RX330 Lexus - crystal white - reliable, quiet, and the "beater" car for ski trips, hauling, etc. 1995 E34 540i 6 speed black/truffle interior/alpinemp3/XMradio/M5 alloys (Many tears...sold to a fellow Boston bimmer enthusiast!)

thanks for all the great input-although I am leasing I may purchase the car if I like it and the clear bra will protect my investment through the harsh New England winters (salt, sand, snow, angry Boston drivers....)
Old 11-13-2005, 01:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Silver Grey 550i (est delivery 12/06) Auburn / Poplar Interior / Anthracite headliner M body aero kit/ sport/ sound/ comfort access/ comfort seats/ sunshade/ sat radio

How many brands of clear bras are there and which is best?
Is 3M and xpel the same thing? or does 3M make several clear bras?
How does the Venture shield compare? does it have the "clearcoat" people are talking about on the 3M?
thanks

Quick Reply: clear bra and m-aero kit