E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Clanking noise when changing gears...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 08:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hello!

I ordered my Space Gray 535i in the beginning of July and took delivery this past Tuesday. I have lurked here for the past 2 months and have learned so much. Thank you for all the great information.

It's sad that my first post about my 5er is to ask for assistance regarding a problem, but here goes. Whenever I shift from park to reverse, park to drive, and reverse to drive (and vice versa for all circumstances), I hear a clanking noise from the rear of the car. It's almost sounds like a spring, and it is not audible from the interior - I just happened to hear it because I had my door open while I was backing into a garage.

Is this noise normal? Any ideas about what could be causing it?

Thanks in advance,
Fred

PS: FYI, I have the sport automatic transmission...
Old 08-25-2007, 08:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: New ride from 14th May�07: 525iA LCI, Sport Suspension, Deep Sea Blue, Leather Dakota Natural Brown, Hi-Gloss Black trim, Star Spoke 124 18", Comfort Seats with memory, M -steering wheel, Glass Roof, Navi Professional, ProLogic7, USB-connection, Bi-Xenon, Extended Air Condition, Auto dimming mirrors, Electric Folding mirrors, Bluetooth for Cell Phone Sony Ericsson K750i, Electric rear window shade, Ligth package, Speed control with brake function, Cup Holders, Automatic head light control, PDC, Shadow line

Hi,

if the noise comes out when the car changes direction -so not when you change the gear but when the car really moves- I had the same noise in the beginning. I also described it like it was caused by a spring. I visited the dealership and they could not find any fault. The sound has disappeared after 2300 kms. I have now driven 3000 kms. I think it could have been a spring that didn't fit completely and found it's place when the car was driven.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:50 AM
Members

Thank you, TitangrauII530iA. It's reassuring that a noise like that can go away. But the noise actually happens even when the car doesn't move: ie I can have the car with the parking brake on and it will still make the noise.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i, Carbon Black Metallic with Black Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, NAV, Cold-Weather Package, Folding Rear Seats, Rear Side Impact Airbags, Sirius, iPod/USB Adapter,
Model Year: 2008

Is this your first BMW? That noise you hear in the rear when the car is parked and you get out of the drivers seat, or the vehicle, is natural. I have had it in all my BMWs. Speak with your SA for confirmation.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:24 AM
Members

Thanks for the information, yayankee. This is my first BMW.

I will speak to my SA, but the noise also happens when going from reverse to drive, which doesn't necessarily involve parking. Also, the door doesn't have to be open to hear it (it's loud enough to hear with the windows open).
Old 08-25-2007, 10:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i, Carbon Black Metallic with Black Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, NAV, Cold-Weather Package, Folding Rear Seats, Rear Side Impact Airbags, Sirius, iPod/USB Adapter,
Model Year: 2008

I'm stumped on the noise when going from reverse to drive. Good Luck with the car!!!!
Old 08-25-2007, 08:54 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

welcome and congrats on your order. enjoy the forums.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 530i 05 M-technic Silvergrey whith beige dakotaleather

Originally Posted by Fred' post='462416' date='Aug 25 2007, 06:12 PM
Hello!

I ordered my Space Gray 535i in the beginning of July and took delivery this past Tuesday. I have lurked here for the past 2 months and have learned so much. Thank you for all the great information.

It's sad that my first post about my 5er is to ask for assistance regarding a problem, but here goes. Whenever I shift from park to reverse, park to drive, and reverse to drive (and vice versa for all circumstances), I hear a clanking noise from the rear of the car. It's almost sounds like a spring, and it is not audible from the interior - I just happened to hear it because I had my door open while I was backing into a garage.

Thanks in advance,
Fred

Hi , I had that problem on my car in the begining. Please search the forum for Transmission clunk and you will find my posts.
Old 08-26-2007, 12:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by Fred' post='462416' date='Aug 25 2007, 06:12 PM
Hello!

Thanks in advance,
Fred

Too faults for 535i ...