E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

CIP 20 UPDATE

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 12:50 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I am a novice. Have not had an update since I bought my car (2005 530i) last June. I have always had poor radio reception and of course, the dealer is not willing to do an update unless 1. the computer shows one is need or 2. I pay $180.00 for it. It seems like there have been a lot of talk, but no definite answers. I do not have Nav and would like CD track info and MP3 capibility, but do not want to pay the money for the update if I can't get these things and the dealership has only performed one update locally and won't (can't guarantee anything). Does anyone know for certain and what are the questions to ask the dealership to do.

Any help is very appreciated.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

tell the dealer you have experienced the transmition slam... harsh downshift, etc... this is solved by free CIP update

do a search here on the forum for the tranny slam.... a lot of info here.
if you search carefuly you will even find the official BMW letter about this failure.....so you can take a copy to your dealer and you will get a CIP update right away.

well I assume you have a steptronic tranny. where are you from? US/ UK?
Old 01-26-2006, 01:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='230126' date='Jan 26 2006, 04:57 PM
tell the dealer you have experienced the transmition slam... harsh downshift, etc... this is solved by free CIP update

if you search carefuly you will even find the official BMW letter about this failure.....so you can take a copy to your dealer and you will get a CIP update right away.

I'm in the US, but cannot find any info on the tran slam, do you have a link?
Old 01-26-2006, 01:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by CHANDLER' post='230121' date='Jan 26 2006, 04:50 PM
I am not sure about 530i's, but, for 545i's built during 3/05 or after, MP3 capability can be added at least with 20.01.00 (there are some problems with 20.00.00 so I don't recommed it). If your car is capable of MP3, then your dealer is obligated to update you. And, personally, I would not lie to get an update. Play straight or don't play is what I say. If I were you, then I'd read all the current 20.xx.xx threads before deciding to update or not.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Originally Posted by CHANDLER' post='230133

I'm in the US, but cannot find any info on the tran slam, do you have a link?
[/quote]

just put SLAM in to search on top of the page.....

Originally Posted by Znod' post='230136
Okay, I am a novice. Have not had an update since I bought my car (2005 530i) last June. I have always had poor radio reception and of course, the dealer is not willing to do an update unless 1. the computer shows one is need or 2. I pay $180.00 for it. It seems like there have been a lot of talk, but no definite answers. I do not have Nav and would like CD track info and MP3 capibility, but do not want to pay the money for the update if I can't get these things and the dealership has only performed one update locally and won't (can't guarantee anything). Does anyone know for certain and what are the questions to ask the dealership to do.

I am not sure about 530i's, but, for 545i's built during 3/05 or after, MP3 capability can be added at least with 20.01.00 (there are some problems with 20.00.00 so I don't recommed it). If your car is capable of MP3, then your dealer is obligated to update you. And, personally, I would not lie to get an update. Play straight or don't play is what I say.
[/quote]

well too bad we have to pay the price for no MP3 because of old software!!! it is not our fault. we paid the same money for the car . In fact BMW should offer free update to enable the full capabilities of the car.
so I would not call it such a bad lie..............it is BMW rip-off at the first place - two same equipped cars and one does not have some features just because of old software???? why would I want to put up with that?
Old 01-26-2006, 01:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='230137' date='Jan 26 2006, 05:12 PM
well too bad we have to pay the price for no MP3 because of old software!!! it is not our fault. we paid the same money for the car . In fact BMW should offer free update to enable the full capabilities of the car.
so I would not call it such a bad lie..............it is BMW rip-off at the first place - two same equipped cars and one does not have some features just because of old software???? why would I want to put up with that?
As indicated, if your car is capable of MP3, then you are entitled to the update. No lie is necessary.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Znod' post='230163
As indicated, if your car is capable of MP3, then you are entitled to the update. No lie is necessary.
[/quote]

not true.... at least not in Europe... even after all data and parts check up are right so it is verified that MP3 would work on a particular car BMW is not obligated to upload a new CIP just because of MP3 function.....
CIP is only uploade if something is wrong..... no presence of MP3 is not wrong according to BMW.... we bought the cars without MP3 function to begin with....

told by several dealers.... and actually some people on the forum
Old 01-26-2006, 03:03 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='230168
Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='230137' date='Jan 26 2006, 05:12 PM

not true.... at least not in Europe... even after all data and parts check up are right so it is verified that MP3 would work on a particular car BMW is not obligated to upload a new CIP just because of MP3 function.....
CIP is only uploade if something is wrong..... no presence of MP3 is not wrong according to BMW.... we bought the cars without MP3 function to begin with....

told by several dealers.... and actually some people on the forum
[/quote]The poster is from the US. My car's CIP was updated to 20.01.00 free so that I would be able to play MP3's. While it is not an issue, my manual even indicates that I should have MP3 capability, and I was told when purchasing my car that I would have MP3 capability. Note that I did not even mention these things to my dealer. Again, the update was installed for free so I could have MP3 playback.