E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chose 550i over 545i because...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 01:20 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

After much deliberation I've decided to wait for the 550i instead of picking up a 545i now. My dealer confirmed it was coming in the fall, and within the next two months he'll be able to place an order for one.

My first priority is performance, so it's difficult for me to turn down the 10% bump in hp and torque. If there were any aftermarket superchargers on the market yet for the 545i I might have changed my decision, but right now they're only rumors. And I'll be purchasing the vehicle so lease rates don't factor into the decision. Not to mention the instant depreciation the 545i model will take upon introduction of the 550i. (This will more than make up for the several thousand more I'll probably have to pay to get my hands on a similarly equipped 550i).

Does anyone else think this is a stupid move on BMW's part? The 545i will basically have been widely available for 18 months before becoming obsolete. Yes, they need to keep up with the other brands, but the well-being of their existing customers should have first priority.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:12 PM
Members

My Ride: X3 | 3.0 | 6-speed manual

Originally Posted by Merzbow' date='Apr 11 2005, 05:20 PM
After much deliberation I've decided to wait for the 550i instead of picking up a 545i now. My dealer confirmed it was coming in the fall, and within the next two months he'll be able to place an order for one.

My first priority is performance, so it's difficult for me to turn down the 10% bump in hp and torque. If there were any aftermarket superchargers on the market yet for the 545i I might have changed my decision, but right now they're only rumors. And I'll be purchasing the vehicle so lease rates don't factor into the decision. Not to mention the instant depreciation the 545i model will take upon introduction of the 550i. (This will more than make up for the several thousand more I'll probably have to pay to get my hands on a similarly equipped 550i).

Does anyone else think this is a stupid move on BMW's part? The 545i will basically have been widely available for 18 months before becoming obsolete. Yes, they need to keep up with the other brands, but the well-being of their existing customers should have first priority.
[snapback]114238[/snapback]
First off let me say that I agree totally with your analysis to wait for the 550i over buying a 545i today.

I "hear" what you're saying, but when you think about it, the proposition that an automobile manufacturer should not advance their product line so as to not upset current owners of the product is pretty impractical. We all know that BMW has been taking "hits" in the horsepower ratings contest, and has been losing some sales because of that. They have to advance and offer more HP in the 5er to compete. In this case, the fact that it's only been 18 months is particularly tough for current owners to swallow. I understand that completely!

If cars were not such a rapidly depreciating asset anyway, the argument would probably be stronger. But when you take into account auto depreciation and leave out emotions, the fact that a 545i will depreciate "a little" faster because of the new 550i is a pretty weak one I think. I think its only "a little."

When the first 550's come off of their 3yr leases in late 2008, thats probably when the greatest hit will be felt by current 545 owners. But if the move to the 550 was delayed by 12 months by BMW, the same exact thing would happen one year later. I don't think that the fact that the 4.5 V8 was in the car for only 18 months will make any difference -- its just that the inevitable happens sooner.

What do you think?
Old 04-11-2005, 02:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bart001' date='Apr 11 2005, 03:12 PM
[quote name='Merzbow' date='Apr 11 2005, 05:20 PM']After much deliberation I've decided to wait for the 550i instead of picking up a 545i now. My dealer confirmed it was coming in the fall, and within the next two months he'll be able to place an order for one.

[snapback]114238[/snapback]
First off let me say that I agree totally with your analysis to wait for the 550i over buying a 545i today.

I "hear" what you're saying, but when you think about it, the proposition that an automobile manufacturer should not advance their product line so as to not upset current owners of the product is pretty impractical. We all know that BMW has been taking "hits" in the horsepower ratings contest, and has been losing some sales because of that. They have to advance and offer more HP in the 5er to compete. In this case, the fact that it's only been 18 months is particularly tough for current owners to swallow. I understand that completely!

If cars were not such a rapidly depreciating asset anyway, the argument would probably be stronger. But when you take into account auto depreciation and leave out emotions, the fact that a 545i will depreciate "a little" faster because of the new 550i is a pretty weak one I think. I think its only "a little."

When the first 550's come off of their 3yr leases in late 2008, thats probably when the greatest hit will be felt by current 545 owners. But if the move to the 550 was delayed by 12 months by BMW, the same exact thing would happen one year later. I don't think that the fact that the 4.5 V8 was in the car for only 18 months will make any difference -- its just that the inevitable happens sooner.

What do you think?
[snapback]114262[/snapback]
[/quote]

In raw HP, BMW may be taking hits, but anyone who has test driven the 545i against its competitors (as I have) should notice that the BMW simply feels much better on the road. In other words, I simply do not see BMW losing sales to, say, the M45 or the Caddy STS-V just because the latter two have somewhat more horsepower; the Bimmer simply feels more performant.

However, the converse is that a BMW will lose sales to another BMW of the same model with more HP - 545i vs 550i - because obviously there will be few, if any, other distinguishing factors between the two. So I still think that BMW is cannibalizing sales of the 545i and pissing off owners by doing this.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2002 330CIC with Sports and Premium (Sold 4/2005) 2005 545I Black Saphire Metalic, with Black Dakota Leather, Poplar trim. Sport Package, MTech Body kit and Spoiler, HUD, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Premium sound, CWP, Heated Rear Seats, Window shades. Valentine 1 hardwired, Aux input.

All this being said, I am just not that worried about it. The M5 has 175 more HP, and is basically 1 second faster from 0-60 (4.7 is what I usually see. Some say 4.5 but for my argument, lets say 4.7.). Yes that is a lot, but when you take into consideration that the M5 is also lighter, how much more performance are you going to get from 35 more HP. Yes, it will be quicker, and faster, but not enough to notice a significant difference. What, instead of 5.7, it might do zero to sixty in 5.5 seconds. I just don't see the values of the 545 plumeting overnight. The 540 is still doing fine on the resale market.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I have a 545... and I won't lose sleep when the 550 comes out.

But I think you made the right choice, waiting. If I were closer to the 550 release, I might have waited myself. It takes 6 weeks to have your car built anyway, so waiting a little longer won't be too much worse.

Besides... I just put my name on the list for an M5, so I'm going to have to learn to be patient.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:18 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Bart001' date='Apr 12 2005, 12:12 AM
the fact that it's only been 18 months is particularly tough for current owners to swallow.
[snapback]114262[/snapback]
Nah - I am good with the 545 To look at the other side of the coin - It will be a classic!
Old 04-11-2005, 03:18 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by LuvE60' date='Apr 11 2005, 04:13 PM
All this being said, I am just not that worried about it.? The M5 has 175 more HP, and is basically 1 second faster from 0-60 (4.7 is what I usually see.? Some say 4.5 but for my argument, lets say 4.7.).? Yes that is a lot, but when you take into consideration that the M5 is also lighter, how much more performance are you going to get from 35 more HP.? Yes, it will be quicker, and faster, but not enough to notice a significant difference.? What, instead of 5.7, it might do zero to sixty in 5.5 seconds.? I just don't see the values of the 545 plumeting overnight.? The 540 is still doing fine on the resale market.
[snapback]114275[/snapback]
The only other thing that could convince me to go with the 545i now would be the presence of a reasonable cost, reliable aftermarket supercharger that could take my HP to over 400. I know that VF Engineering was testing such an animal a while back, but it's still not out yet. Attempts to contact them for a news update have been unsuccessful so far.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2002 330CIC with Sports and Premium (Sold 4/2005) 2005 545I Black Saphire Metalic, with Black Dakota Leather, Poplar trim. Sport Package, MTech Body kit and Spoiler, HUD, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Premium sound, CWP, Heated Rear Seats, Window shades. Valentine 1 hardwired, Aux input.

Originally Posted by Merzbow' date='Apr 11 2005, 04:18 PM
[quote name='LuvE60' date='Apr 11 2005, 04:13 PM']All this being said, I am just not that worried about it.? The M5 has 175 more HP, and is basically 1 second faster from 0-60 (4.7 is what I usually see.? Some say 4.5 but for my argument, lets say 4.7.).? Yes that is a lot, but when you take into consideration that the M5 is also lighter, how much more performance are you going to get from 35 more HP.? Yes, it will be quicker, and faster, but not enough to notice a significant difference.? What, instead of 5.7, it might do zero to sixty in 5.5 seconds.? I just don't see the values of the 545 plumeting overnight.? The 540 is still doing fine on the resale market.
The only other thing that could convince me to go with the 545i now would be the presence of a reasonable cost, reliable aftermarket supercharger that could take my HP to over 400. I know that VF Engineering was testing such an animal a while back, but it's still not out yet. Attempts to contact them for a news update have been unsuccessful so far.
[snapback]114280[/snapback]
[/quote]
What does something like that cost? What does it do to the warranty?
Old 04-11-2005, 03:29 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by LuvE60' date='Apr 11 2005, 04:26 PM
[quote name='Merzbow' date='Apr 11 2005, 04:18 PM'][quote name='LuvE60' date='Apr 11 2005, 04:13 PM']All this being said, I am just not that worried about it.? The M5 has 175 more HP, and is basically 1 second faster from 0-60 (4.7 is what I usually see.? Some say 4.5 but for my argument, lets say 4.7.).? Yes that is a lot, but when you take into consideration that the M5 is also lighter, how much more performance are you going to get from 35 more HP.? Yes, it will be quicker, and faster, but not enough to notice a significant difference.? What, instead of 5.7, it might do zero to sixty in 5.5 seconds.? I just don't see the values of the 545 plumeting overnight.? The 540 is still doing fine on the resale market.
[snapback]114280[/snapback]
[/quote]
What does something like that cost? What does it do to the warranty?
[snapback]114281[/snapback]
[/quote]

Here is the original thread. I've bumped it up:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...&hl=supercharge
Old 04-11-2005, 03:32 PM
Senior Members

Good choice. Buy only the very latest - for economical reasons. In fact, I booked the 530I when it was first introduced, but changed my mind the moment I found out that there would be an engine change within a year or two. Ended up with a 545I which sadly will be outdated within a year of its birth. Had I known this, I would have waited or even change my mind and go straight for the M5.

Quick Reply: Chose 550i over 545i because...