E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Chipped paint on CPO 57k need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 02:41 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 550i Titanium Grey Metallic - 6 Speed Manual, Sport Suspension, Premium, Cold Weather, Navigation, Shades, L7 Sound

I noticed today that the front lower right hand corner of my front aerodynamic kit / spoiler (I have the sport package without the M aerodynamic) has an area about 2 inches that is peeling off. The color underneath seems to actually match and that is why I had not noticed this sooner.

How should I go about repairing this?

Paint the whole panel?

Will BMW cover that cost?

What will it cost?

Should I just buy a matching color M front aerodynamic piece instead?

Could this have been a paint job that finally has gone bad?

Or does this happen on the aerodynamic pieces in the front, side or back panels with anyone else?

Pics coming

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or advice.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:01 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dentity
I noticed today that the front lower right hand corner of my front aerodynamic kit / spoiler (I have the sport package without the M aerodynamic) has an area about 2 inches that is peeling off. The color underneath seems to actually match and that is why I had not noticed this sooner.

How should I go about repairing this?

Paint the whole panel?

Will BMW cover that cost?

What will it cost?

Should I just buy a matching color M front aerodynamic piece instead?

Could this have been a paint job that finally has gone bad?

Or does this happen on the aerodynamic pieces in the front, side or back panels with anyone else?

Pics coming

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or advice.

its been repainted and whoever did it did a poor job during the curing process hence the peeling

good luck getting bmw to pay for it as youd have to try and prove you didnt repaint it yourself from rock chips etc
Old 04-24-2010, 03:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 M5 alpine white, black full leather, etc.

Prepping and repainting is not a big deal. Cost should be no more than a few hun. BMW, sure as heck, is not gunna cover the cost.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i Titanium Grey Metallic - 6 Speed Manual, Sport Suspension, Premium, Cold Weather, Navigation, Shades, L7 Sound

thanks for the feed back.

Do you think I could easily add the front part of the M kit and with that replace the entire lower and middle part? Is it as simple as just ordering the color and pieces I need?
Old 04-25-2010, 07:58 AM
Senior Members

Try talking to the dealer where you bought it from - just poor prep on their end like others said. The paint should not be flaking!
Old 04-25-2010, 09:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

Has to be a bad paint job. Mine has the same problem.

I'm getting my bumper replaced tommorow, but I'm sticking with getting an OEM one. The guy who owns the body shop told me its best just to replace the old bumper with a new, because its cheaper in the long run. If the old bumper is refinished correctly, the paint has to be removed down to the bare bumper which is costly, also I would have to have the holes filled in where the license plate bracket was hence more money. Another problem with mine is the black pieces of the lower valance look like crap due to the previous owner applying wax down there. The total front is an eye sore for me and I want it to look right. Next thing in line will be carbon fiber kidney grills.

If I were you, I would find a new front bumper that you like and have it done up right by a reputable body shop in your area. Forget using the stealership for this.

If your interested in the cost, PM in a few days after I get my baby girl back from her face lift.

Cheers!
Old 04-26-2010, 06:05 PM
Contributors

Thanks for the info... i will drop you a line in a few. Hope all goes well with your baby girl!

Question:

Could i just buy and install the m aerodynamic kit for just the front?

Originally Posted by stoic1
Has to be a bad paint job. Mine has the same problem.

I'm getting my bumper replaced tommorow, but I'm sticking with getting an OEM one. The guy who owns the body shop told me its best just to replace the old bumper with a new, because its cheaper in the long run. If the old bumper is refinished correctly, the paint has to be removed down to the bare bumper which is costly, also I would have to have the holes filled in where the license plate bracket was hence more money. Another problem with mine is the black pieces of the lower valance look like crap due to the previous owner applying wax down there. The total front is an eye sore for me and I want it to look right. Next thing in line will be carbon fiber kidney grills.

If I were you, I would find a new front bumper that you like and have it done up right by a reputable body shop in your area. Forget using the stealership for this.

If your interested in the cost, PM in a few days after I get my baby girl back from her face lift.

Cheers!