E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checklist for common problems when looking at used 545i

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on looking at many 545i cars and I was wondering if anyone put together a list of common problems to check for while I am looking at the car. kind of a PPI that I can do on my own.

Is there a way to check service intervals on the OBC? like when the last oil change was?

I downloaded the new car check list in the FAQ section but I am looking for a list of common wear items. Where are the Option codes located on the car? is there a list of those I can print out?

I know my E39 leaks oil at the valve cover gaskets every 100k, blows up radiators/expansion tanks at about the same interval and leaks from the heating hoses at the rear of the engine. Does the E60 suffer from the same things?
Old 03-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport

Originally Posted by judd986S' post='542445' date='Mar 10 2008, 02:05 PM
I plan on looking at many 545i cars and I was wondering if anyone put together a list of common problems to check for while I am looking at the car. kind of a PPI that I can do on my own.

Is there a way to check service intervals on the OBC? like when the last oil change was?

I downloaded the new car check list in the FAQ section but I am looking for a list of common wear items. Where are the Option codes located on the car? is there a list of those I can print out?

I know my E39 leaks oil at the valve cover gaskets every 100k, blows up radiators/expansion tanks at about the same interval and leaks from the heating hoses at the rear of the engine. Does the E60 suffer from the same things?

try searching for these items:

-Transmission slam
-door seals (minor issue)
-eyebrow lights (software update)
-rough idle N62 engine
-545i break sensors

I'll post as more come to my head. Small items, great car. good luck.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:39 PM
skw
Members

Perfect timing for this thread as I'm going to look 3 cars in the morning. 1)CPO '04 545i 38k miles w/o NAV for $29k 2)CPO '04 530i 22k miles w/o NAV for $29k 3)'04 530i 62k miles w/NAV but no CPO for $22k, all 3 cars have CWP but no sport, and all at the same dealer. Alternator just went in my e39 528 (173k miles) so the wife is really pushing for it to be gone. Drove a '08 Acura TL Type-S 6 speed today for kicks and giggles but there's no comparison at all. Fun, but not the same. I too printed out the FAQ and while finding an alpine white 530 or 545 w/ both nav and sport would be ideal finding a sound well cared for car is more important I guess.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:42 AM
Members

I hope our 98 540 lasts a few more months. My wife drives about 4k per month and we are at 205k right now. I am looking for a car with ~ 50k miles CPO not needed as I do all my own work on the car. good luck with your search SKW.

Danjf, from what I read the Transmission slam can be fixed with software right? If the door seals creak like an old pirate ship when wet then it is just like the E39!

I will read about the rough idle and break sensors (?)
Old 03-11-2008, 06:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550, Carbon Black Metallic, Natural Brown Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades, etc. Retired - 2004 545 SMG, Black Sapphire Metallic, Auburn Dakota Leather, Cold Weather and Sports Packages, Power Rear and Manual Side Sun Shades

Originally Posted by judd986S' post='542856' date='Mar 11 2008, 08:42 AM
I hope our 98 540 lasts a few more months. My wife drives about 4k per month and we are at 205k right now. I am looking for a car with ~ 50k miles CPO not needed as I do all my own work on the car. good luck with your search SKW.

Danjf, from what I read the Transmission slam can be fixed with software right? If the door seals creak like an old pirate ship when wet then it is just like the E39!

I will read about the rough idle and break sensors (?)

Some (probably most) transmission slam issues were fixed with a software upgrade. Some, like mine and at least a few others, required more substantial work. I had my entire transmission replaced after only a few thousand miles after the software did not correct the problem.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:32 AM
Members

I am hoping by 50-60k the transmission will have been replaced it needed. What is the best way to test for slam when test driving the car? slow acceleration from a standstill? from a roll? fast acceleration?
Old 03-11-2008, 07:33 AM
Members

BTW I am looking at ones with AT, Sport Package, No Nav, heated seats, and Black interior.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Sport

Originally Posted by judd986S' post='542892' date='Mar 11 2008, 10:32 AM
I am hoping by 50-60k the transmission will have been replaced it needed. What is the best way to test for slam when test driving the car? slow acceleration from a standstill? from a roll? fast acceleration?

I could never reproduce the slam on command but it typically happens under these circumstances:

-California stop (Rolling slow stop as you come to a stop sign/light that you intend to go through without stopping (I am by no means condoning this)) Car is typically in first gear at this point.
-Give it some gas as to proceed...
-SLAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Feels like you've been rear ended.
Recap of Slam: Car feels like it?s in neutral, engine revs as you depress the accelerator, then without notice slams into 2nd or 3rd gear and jumps. Not pretty.
-Software fix...Hopefully

Break sensors- They wear/deteriorate quickly emitting a noise as if you need new break pads. You don?t just need to replace the sensors. Had mine replaced a few times.

-If you get the car from a BMW dealer and it's out of warranty, make sure they update the software for you so you have the most current version.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:27 AM
Members

will do thanks!
Old 03-11-2008, 08:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

You may have a hard time finding one like that without Nav. 545's come pretty loaded, especially sport package models.

Quick Reply: Checklist for common problems when looking at used 545i