E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check Oil light after 2900 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 04:49 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

Today I noticed a yellow warning light came on after I turned the car off - it looked like a genie lamp with some waves or water underneath. I looked all through the owners manual and couldnt find a diagram or picture telling me what it meant. However, I then (for the first time) did the automated oil level check on the iDrive, and the car said it had "minimum oil" level, and that I needed to add a quart. I

I'm a little uneasy about the fact that after 2990 miles, its so low. Is there anything significant to this fact? Does the engine use more oil in the break in period, or could the dealer not have filled it enough at delivery.

My questions are:

1. I presume the light I saw (genie lamp with waves underneath) was a check oil light?

2. What could be causeing the loss?

3. Assuming it needs only a quart, could it have caused any problems with the new engine, despite the fact that no other lights have come on?

All thoughts appreciated to help ease my neurotic mind.

- Pete
Old 04-17-2007, 05:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

Originally Posted by lawguy' post='414972' date='Apr 17 2007, 08:49 PM
Today I noticed a yellow warning light came on after I turned the car off - it looked like a genie lamp with some waves or water underneath. I looked all through the owners manual and couldnt find a diagram or picture telling me what it meant. However, I then (for the first time) did the automated oil level check on the iDrive, and the car said it had "minimum oil" level, and that I needed to add a quart. I

I'm a little uneasy about the fact that after 2990 miles, its so low. Is there anything significant to this fact? Does the engine use more oil in the break in period, or could the dealer not have filled it enough at delivery.

My questions are:

1. I presume the light I saw (genie lamp with waves underneath) was a check oil light?

3. Assuming it needs only a quart, could it have caused any problems with the new engine, despite the fact that no other lights have come on?

- Pete
My did it after about 6,000 miles. You must have a very heavy right foot.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:27 PM
Senior Members

get ur car checked by BMW dealer. it's probably because of the software. I experienced it once.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Auto, monaco blue met., black Dakota leather, burl walnut trim, sport package, active steering, Navi, HUD, cold weather package, comfort access, heated rear seats, rear sunshades, rear side air bags, rear deck spoiler, Logic 7 w/CD changer,
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by lawguy' post='414972' date='Apr 17 2007, 08:49 PM

My questions are:

- Pete
I suggest to take it to the dealer. I had the warning come on at about 4600 miles and it turned out that the oil level sensor was faulty, no loss of oil (they drained 9 quarts). This is a known problem; they changed the sensor and oil under warranty. An oil change after break-in period is probably not a bad idea anyway and I got it for free. No problems since then. I would NOT just add a quart oil since overfilling can cause damage to the engine.

See also this topic: [topic="31448"]Oil Level Sensor[/topic]

Or do a search, there are quite a few topics/posts regarding this problem.

Good luck,

Felix
Old 04-18-2007, 07:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i, Mystic Blue over Auburn, 6-Manual, Sports, Premium, Cold Weather, Logic 7, Nav, Sirius, MTec Front & Sides with M5 rear apron, VIS Penta carbon fiber vented hood, OEM M166s, (or Style 101M with winter 19 Blizzaks), BMW Blue Calipers, Custom Quad Exhaust and M5 side grills, trunk finisher and spoiler. Rogue Octane SSK/WSR and Zeckhausen CDV, BMW illuminated shift knob, Delivered 4/26/06 - Ordered 3/18/06 from Otto's (the Best) BMW Dealership.

Same issue on my 550i at about 2500 miles. Dealer said to "top off" with a few ounces and I did and light went out. They said it was normal... Of course I had my oil changed at 5k (my cost) and I'm now at 8k with no issues...

Remember the old days when 1,000/quart was OK???

Your fine...
Old 04-18-2007, 01:51 PM
Members

How many green bars where you guys down when the low oil warning message popped up? I just checked and I'm down 5 bars and it says engine oil is ok. Currently have 5500 miles on car.