E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

check engine light(help)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 05:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 bmw 530i

ok im new to the 5 series. i had a 2001 3 series before. And i step it up to a 2004 530i, fully loaded(everything possible from the dealer). And i drove the car last week saturday and it was fine. And i havent drove it seen then. Now this morning i decide to drive it. I start it and it was running rough, im thinking that cause i didnt start it for a week thats why. I pull it out the garage and went in the house and wait 10mins for it to warm up. ( i like going into a warm car) and when i walk out the door i notice the car is running rough still, i sat in the car and the service engine light is on now....So i dont damage the car anymore i pull it back in and turn it off. Couple hrs later i good to trouble shoot it and the service engine light is not on and it is running fine.

what can it be.....im not going to drive it till im 100% sure she is ok. i cant lose her
Old 12-12-2010, 07:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by blacka23
ok im new to the 5 series. i had a 2001 3 series before. And i step it up to a 2004 530i, fully loaded(everything possible from the dealer). And i drove the car last week saturday and it was fine. And i havent drove it seen then. Now this morning i decide to drive it. I start it and it was running rough, im thinking that cause i didnt start it for a week thats why. I pull it out the garage and went in the house and wait 10mins for it to warm up. ( i like going into a warm car) and when i walk out the door i notice the car is running rough still, i sat in the car and the service engine light is on now....So i dont damage the car anymore i pull it back in and turn it off. Couple hrs later i good to trouble shoot it and the service engine light is not on and it is running fine.

what can it be.....im not going to drive it till im 100% sure she is ok. i cant lose her
Check the oil filler cap to be sure it's secure and "clicked close". If loose or if the gasket is worn that can cause rough idle and "check engine" light.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:30 AM
Members

ok.....i will check it when i get home. The dealer service the car like 2 months ago, and i real drive the car. So im dumb founded.....
Old 12-12-2010, 07:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by blacka23
ok.....i will check it when i get home. The dealer service the car like 2 months ago, and i real drive the car. So im dumb founded.....
Was it a BMW dealer and exactly what services were done?
Old 12-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Could be several things. Just remember that this E60 is definately in no way related to an E46 at all. I've owned about 6 E46's and My wife still drives the only E46 I still own (47K miles on it now! LOL)...great cars!

There could be several things going on. First thing to know is that this car runs off of electronic hormones. I'm dead serious. From what you describe, it sounds like you have a vacuum leak. Start by giving us stats of the car (year, miles, storage length/climate)

Check to make sure your battery is good. You cannot let this battery just sit. If the battery is a little off in regards to voltage you have issues. It sounds like you had enough juice to start the car and then the alternator helped out while it was running.

Could be that you have a dirty air filter or a cracked hose, your Mass Air Flow Sensor is dirty, exhaust solenoid, camshaft sensor.... could be your oil cap is not snug.....what codes are you getting? Take it to Auto parts store and ask them to read your codes. Most have a policy not to erase codes for you though but no worries just get the codes and let's see.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
Take it to Auto parts store and ask them to read your codes. Most have a policy not to erase codes for you though but no worries just get the codes and let's see.
+1 - Even though the light went out, "freeze-frame" event information (running status, temp, sensor voltage, etc) may have been captured, along with a diagnostic trouble code (DTC). This is why I urge all modern car owners to invest in a code scanner. It can more than pay for itself.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Senior Members

yea, for $30 it pays for itself thrice in one use. lol
Old 12-14-2010, 04:33 PM
Members

thanks everyone

2004 530i, 94870 on dash....the temp the pass week as been 47 degrees to 25 degrees. The service engine light never came back on. i was scared so i went to the dealer on monday and they found nothing wrong. I'm cool with the service manager. she look out for me. Didnt pay a dime and got good car waah.....lol

So i dont know
Old 12-14-2010, 05:16 PM
Senior Members

BMW E60 gremlins.....they use guerilla tactics.........hit and move. Welcome to the board.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:37 AM
Members

For future reference, take the car to your local autozone parts store and ask them to borrow their OBDII code reader. Plug it in to the OBD port (usually under the drivers foot well somewhere - not exactly sure on my 550i yet) and see what code the reader returns. They will help you know whether its a real issue that needs to go to the dealer or a loose gas cap.

BTW - its free to borrow the reader, you just leave your license with the store counter while you use the reader in the parking lot. Hope that helps!

Quick Reply: check engine light(help)