E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Check engine light comes on - No error messages whatsoever

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 05:18 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530ix Titanium Grey

2006 530 xi, 65k kms
Warranty still good until Aug 09

Check engine light (little yellow plumbing faucet like picture on main dashboard) came on Tuesday. Went away Wednesaday on its own.
Took car to dealer Wednesday, spent all day but did not really do much as they said that software is more up to date than car supposedly allows for. Needs full system check. He says do not worry, bring it back in January for full checkup

Light came back on again today and now I am concerned. No other indication that anything at all is wrong. (BTW,checked gas cap, etc)
I have an appointment for Dec 12 for another check. 2 appointments in less than 6 weeks of ownership...not very encouraging.
Any insights as what it might be or similar experiences?
Old 12-05-2008, 06:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i ALS, Nav, Cold Weather package, Premium package, Logic 7

Try buying different gas. I had this problem over the course of 3 months. The check engine light would come on at the initial start of the day and sometimes the engine would run rough until it warmed up. Of course the engine light would not come on all the time and once the engine was warm it ran smooth etc.

I finally took it (535i 2008) to the dealer - they kept the car for 3 days. They did not find anything wrong. But... the gasoline analysis showed 13% ethanol. Normally there is not supposed to be more than 10% in the fuel. I was buying my fuel from Costco (always premium).

The dealer said to only buy fuel from those brands listed on http://www.toptiergas.com/.

I switched to Shell and QT ? haven?t had a problem since.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:40 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by tprindle' post='738607' date='Dec 5 2008, 10:48 AM
Try buying different gas. I had this problem over the course of 3 months. The check engine light would come on at the initial start of the day and sometimes the engine would run rough until it warmed up. Of course the engine light would not come on all the time and once the engine was warm it ran smooth etc.

I finally took it (535i 2008) to the dealer - they kept the car for 3 days. They did not find anything wrong. But... the gasoline analysis showed 13% ethanol. Normally there is not supposed to be more than 10% in the fuel. I was buying my fuel from Costco (always premium).

The dealer said to only buy fuel from those brands listed on http://www.toptiergas.com/.

I switched to Shell and QT ? haven?t had a problem since.
Great tip. Thank you for the link. I was surprised to see that Exxon-Mobil was missing from the list. Another thing to look for is a weak gas cap gasket. Investing $10 on a new gas cap is prolly also another good thing to do.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Since the car is under warranty the problem isn't that big and you have shown the car at your dealers.
I suppose you got that in writing?

It's probably a loose indicator ie a bad sensor.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 530ix Titanium Grey

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='738759' date='Dec 5 2008, 01:58 PM
Since the car is under warranty the problem isn't that big and you have shown the car at your dealers.
I suppose you got that in writing?

It's probably a loose indicator ie a bad sensor.
hoping to get better answers next Friday (going back to the shop)
Old 12-05-2008, 11:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by ottawahull' post='738787' date='Dec 5 2008, 09:43 PM
hoping to get better answers next Friday (going back to the shop)
If "the shop" means a BMW dealer, you have no problem.

Get the newest Progman CIP (30 something) as you are there.
For a OEM BMW service that should be a problem, since they are available
over the net in a few days after the launch in Germany.