E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Cheap fix for a cheap radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 05:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i, Black, Black, Sport, Premium, Winter, Wimpy Factory Sound System

I am amazed how many posts have to do with this issue. I guess some buyers are content with the standard radio (probaby would rather listen to the engine) and don't want to pay extra, otherwise BMW would include a better standard radio.

My previous 330i had a Logic 7 radio. When I bought the 2006 530i, I had brain-fade and didn't even pay attention to the fact that the car was equipped with the plain old standard radio. It took a few days to figure out something was wrong and why the radio sounded so pathetic. Since both the treble and bass were set at neutral so I turned the bass up all the way. Although it sounded a little better it was definitely no Logic 7.

I remember back when I was a teenager in the 1960s, about the only way to improve the sound of your AM radio or 8 track tape player was to turn the tone control all the way in the bass direction.

A few days ago I was clicking through the IDrive and ended up at the treble and bass control. Noting the bass on max and the treble at neutral I reverted back to 1964 rational and turned the treble as low as it would go. I was amazed at the improvement. I would have thought the treble would have disappeared but instead it seemed to punch up the bass a little more while still providing separation and clarity from the high notes. Although this by no means the ultimate solution, at least I don't think about it every time I crank up a tune.

If you have the plain Jane radio give it a try and see if this works for you.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:18 AM
Senior Members

So you have the bass to max and the treble to min?

or the bass halfway and the treble to min.

I'll give this a try and let you know how I get on

Old 06-19-2007, 01:00 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d Touring Imperial Blue, sports automatic, VDC, black leather sports seats, M Sport steering wheel, HiFi Professional, 18" 328 wheels, Xenon, PCD, electrical tow hitch etc... E87 120dM -10, Titanium silver, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. E87 120d M sport- 08, Le Mans blue, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. Sold: BMW 525dT Deep sea blue, xenon, PDC, leather, Hifi, USB etc.

Originally Posted by Sid C' post='436935' date='Jun 18 2007, 03:35 PM
I am amazed how many posts have to do with this issue. I guess some buyers are content with the standard radio (probaby would rather listen to the engine) and don't want to pay extra, otherwise BMW would include a better standard radio.

My previous 330i had a Logic 7 radio. When I bought the 2006 530i, I had brain-fade and didn't even pay attention to the fact that the car was equipped with the plain old standard radio. It took a few days to figure out something was wrong and why the radio sounded so pathetic. Since both the treble and bass were set at neutral so I turned the bass up all the way. Although it sounded a little better it was definitely no Logic 7.

I remember back when I was a teenager in the 1960s, about the only way to improve the sound of your AM radio or 8 track tape player was to turn the tone control all the way in the bass direction.

A few days ago I was clicking through the IDrive and ended up at the treble and bass control. Noting the bass on max and the treble at neutral I reverted back to 1964 rational and turned the treble as low as it would go. I was amazed at the improvement. I would have thought the treble would have disappeared but instead it seemed to punch up the bass a little more while still providing separation and clarity from the high notes. Although this by no means the ultimate solution, at least I don't think about it every time I crank up a tune.

If you have the plain Jane radio give it a try and see if this works for you.
Radio and speaker sets are two different things. There's the Business radio and the Proffessional radio. For speakers, there's the standard, Hifi, Logic 7 and DIRAC.

I just got my LCI 520dT with Business Radio and Hifi speakers. The sound is OK but definitely not great. What I miss the most is not bass but more power and clarity in the mid register. I'll try your trick with turning down the treble. If I order a new E61 in three years I will most definitely order at least the logic 7.

One important thing though is that different sound sources give different sound quality. A modern DDD CD gives the best sound. MP3's can be of different quality and sometimes sound very bad. AAC encoded songs on the ipod that I have converted myself in itunes from my own cd's sounds quite good.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Black, Black, Sport, Premium, Winter, Wimpy Factory Sound System

Originally Posted by shiny' post='436948' date='Jun 18 2007, 08:18 AM

Yes, Bass on Maximum and treble on minimum
Old 06-19-2007, 09:10 AM
Contributors

Ha anyone else tried this method. Does this really work?
Old 06-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Members

Originally Posted by gorban' post='437330' date='Jun 19 2007, 05:00 AM
Radio and speaker sets are two different things. There's the Business radio and the Proffessional radio. For speakers, there's the standard, Hifi, Logic 7 and DIRAC.

I just got my LCI 520dT with Business Radio and Hifi speakers. The sound is OK but definitely not great. What I miss the most is not bass but more power and clarity in the mid register. I'll try your trick with turning down the treble. If I order a new E61 in three years I will most definitely order at least the logic 7.

One important thing though is that different sound sources give different sound quality. A modern DDD CD gives the best sound. MP3's can be of different quality and sometimes sound very bad. AAC encoded songs on the ipod that I have converted myself in itunes from my own cd's sounds quite good.
What is the difference between Business and Professional version?
Old 06-20-2007, 12:14 AM
Members

My Ride: F11 520d Touring Imperial Blue, sports automatic, VDC, black leather sports seats, M Sport steering wheel, HiFi Professional, 18" 328 wheels, Xenon, PCD, electrical tow hitch etc... E87 120dM -10, Titanium silver, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. E87 120d M sport- 08, Le Mans blue, xenon, PDC, Hifi, 18" wheels etc. Sold: BMW 525dT Deep sea blue, xenon, PDC, leather, Hifi, USB etc.

Originally Posted by cwohughes' post='437427' date='Jun 19 2007, 07:10 PM
Ha anyone else tried this method. Does this really work?
I tried it yesterday. I guess most of us have the habit of turning up the treble and bass controls to the max level. My conclusion is that the treble should be much lower, but maybe not to the far left. It actually sounds better. My bass is set at almost full right. And then increase the volume!

It's fooling yourself when you set the treble to maxium. You hear all the high frequency sounds very clear and think that it sounds great. But you loose in the midle register.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:17 AM
Members

Originally Posted by shurick' post='437555' date='Jun 20 2007, 12:44 AM
What is the difference between Business and Professional version?
Before the LCI the Business Radio would not play MP3's but after the LCI upgrade it does. The difference that remain between the Business and Professional Radio is that the Professional have a double tuner and support for TMC traffic information. Soundwise there should be no difference.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Bass max and Treble at max or next to.

I have the Business Radio/CD with bass speakers under the front seats.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:54 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by shiny' post='436948' date='Jun 18 2007, 10:18 AM

Well I tried it but the sound was "dull" with bass to max and treble to min. So now I have bass and treble at 75% and it sounds better to my ears. I have no idea what sort of stereo/speaker combination I have. There appear to be 4 large speakers (one in each door) a tweeter in the top of each door and one in the centre of the dash.

cheers

Quick Reply: Cheap fix for a cheap radio