E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Changing to Non-Runflats

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 05:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveH' post='231868
Originally Posted by ozhaggis' post='218043' date='Jan 2 2006, 12:19 AM
[...]
In the manual; it actually states that the system will not detect gradual changes over time.
[...]
I pretty sure that this assertion is wrong. It surely detects gradual changes between manual iDrive system initialization.
My understanding is that it has nothing to do with iDrive data. The system simply looks for difference in rotational speed between wheels, so will not detect gradual changes if all wheels change at the same rate.

But it sounds as though 2007 models (from build week 9 2006) will have a true pressure monitoring system.
[/quote]

It has to do with iDrive data because the ABS rotation sensors, are taking the reference of the rotation speed for each wheel, at initialization. This is the point, you're telling to the system, wheels are in good shape. The system will detect any differential change..

Any differential change in this rotation speed will trigger the alarm, gradual or not. The original poster I replied to did not said: gradual changes to all wheels at the same rate. He simply said gradual change, and I assumed it is about one wheel.

Anyway, what's the probability to gradually loose pressure in all wheels at the same rate? You need to check pressure anyway from time to time, unless the system is telling you directly the measured pressure.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:30 PM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Re insurance question, you do not need to notify them, it is not a modification, it is maintenance.

On the original question - the warning from the Puncture system should be more effcective with non RFT's.

RFT's are very stiff in the sidewalls and can support the cars with zero air pressure, hence when you get a puncture they deflate very little, the diameter of the wheel does not change much, and it is this diameter change detected by one wheel travelling faster than the others that triggers the system.

With a non RFT tyre, the change in diameter will be greater for any given pressure loss due to the more flexible sidewalls, hence the system should trigger with less of a pressure drop.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:42 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Keith Farrow' post='232090' date='Jan 30 2006, 09:30 PM
Re insurance question, you do not need to notify them, it is not a modification, it is maintenance.

On the original question - the warning from the Puncture system should be more effcective with non RFT's.

RFT's are very stiff in the sidewalls and can support the cars with zero air pressure, hence when you get a puncture they deflate very little, the diameter of the wheel does not change much, and it is this diameter change detected by one wheel travelling faster than the others that triggers the system.

With a non RFT tyre, the change in diameter will be greater for any given pressure loss due to the more flexible sidewalls, hence the system should trigger with less of a pressure drop.
I'd agree with that! I've heard that it can take several minutes for the system to detect a puncture on RF's... (Probably for the reasons quoted)
Old 01-30-2006, 03:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

Originally Posted by Dead and Gone' post='218287
Unless the car was specced with the optional space-saver you won't have a jack either!

Not sure if that is true as my car has run flats and came with a jack have also seen a new 7 series with runflats and that too had a jack + wheel brace...
[/quote]

With Runflats, Jack brace and Donut wheel are an extra. I was charged E140.00