E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing the Music Source

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 10:15 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530i Silver Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Premium Package, Sport Package (Bridgestone RFTs), Logic 7 Sound System, Nav System, Split Folding Rear Seats, Power Rear Sunshade, Park Distance Control.

To bypass the iDrive, I programmed my little diamond-shaped steering wheel button when pressed to switch to the "next" music source. The trouble is, it only toggles between radio channels: FM, AM and WB. It ignores the factory-installed AUX input and the CD player.

Why would that be?

I like to switch to my iPod during radio commercials and a quick keystroke would be nice. Will I be forced to navigate the complicated iDrive or is there something I'm missing here?
Old 06-27-2006, 10:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

mine goes to cd just fine...
Old 06-27-2006, 10:32 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Geno' post='303996' date='Jun 27 2006, 11:15 AM
To bypass the iDrive, I programmed my little diamond-shaped steering wheel button when pressed to switch to the "next" music source. The trouble is, it only toggles between radio channels: FM, AM and WB. It ignores the factory-installed AUX input and the CD player.

Why would that be?

I like to switch to my iPod during radio commercials and a quick keystroke would be nice. Will I be forced to navigate the complicated iDrive or is there something I'm missing here?

You have the NAV system with voice command. Try using a voice command to switch to CD or CD changer. There are a host of voice commands for the sound system. Unforetuately there is no AUX voice command that I could find.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d M-Sport, Carbon Black, Almost all options [img]http://picasaweb.google.com/rodako/T2/photo#5076044138312609266 [/img]

mine switches fine to cD
Old 06-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i Silver Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Premium Package, Sport Package (Bridgestone RFTs), Logic 7 Sound System, Nav System, Split Folding Rear Seats, Power Rear Sunshade, Park Distance Control.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately for me (so far as I know), I don't use CDs much as I mostly use the iPod when I'm not tuned in to the radio.

You'd think that with AUX occupying equal billing in the audio sources menu that the "next" button and voice commands would also recognize it.
Old 06-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Geno' post='303996' date='Jun 27 2006, 02:15 PM
I've noticed the same problem. But since I mostly listen to the iPod it hasn't been too much of an issue. Now you have me thinking. I never have anything in the CD player so my CD option is always grey. I wonder if as it's scrolling the options it's not skipping over CD to the AUX input?
Old 06-27-2006, 01:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i - Sport - 6spd - Orient Blue with Auburn/Anthracite

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='304020' date='Jun 27 2006, 11:39 AM
I've noticed the same problem. But since I mostly listen to the iPod it hasn't been too much of an issue. Now you have me thinking. I never have anything in the CD player so my CD option is always grey. I wonder if as it's scrolling the options it's not skipping over CD to the AUX input?
Hmmm, mine scrolls through all 5 options (FM/AM/CD/WB/AUX) regardless of there being a CD in the drive or not...
Old 06-27-2006, 02:43 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Geno' post='303996' date='Jun 27 2006, 11:15 AM

Why would that be?

I have to amend what I said about voice command not working with the AUX input. It does! I tried it a few minutes ago. Just say "Audio Aux" or just "AUX". These commands will take you straight to the AUX input.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:45 PM
Members

My Ride: Current car: 2006 530ia On Order for December ED: 2009 335i coupe

Mine will switch to the CD, but my dealer installed auxillary input is not one of the options via the programable button. My assumption was that it was a software glitch.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

I don't have an aux-in, but mine goes between AM/FM/WB/SAT/MP3(CD). I don't recall if it cycles to the changer or not.

Quick Reply: Changing the Music Source