E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed starter, now car makes weird noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 12:20 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i M / X-Drive
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N54
Default Changed starter, now car makes weird noise

Starter was dying on me few months ago.. kept hitting the solenoid with a little tool and it would start the car up a few times till it completely died on me.. finally got around to changing the starter myself, I have a used one and a rebuilt one I got for 120$.. tried both starters and same weird a** noise leaving me clueless.. I tried to test without the intake back on, just to see.. but both starters seem to give me the same weird noise.. I should mention before I took out the old (original) starter I had on that died on me, it wouldn’t click or crank or nothing at all.. some1 plz tell me if u know what’s going on.. I know the starter is secure and placed on property, but worried maybe it’s dead or the flywheel got damaged idk anymore I’m all out of ideas

Thanks in advance

Here’s the video.. hopefully u can hear the weird ass “vacuum-like” noise it makes lol sorry for the quality

https://youtube.com/shorts/UG5TcwjnN94?feature=share

Last edited by Killaduce; 01-31-2022 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-31-2022, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 181 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Vacuum-like sounds more like a hose. There are a ton of brittle hoses in that area that are easy to crack. I cracked one clean when I replaced my Starter.
Old 01-31-2022, 01:42 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by donpb
Vacuum-like sounds more like a hose. There are a ton of brittle hoses in that area that are easy to crack. I cracked one clean when I replaced my Starter.
doesn’t make sense though to a point where the car doesn’t even click at all? I just re-uploaded the video I didn’t realize the quality on the previous one was so crap lol sorry.. I even bypassed the CAS module and gave power directly to the starter and same noise.. clueless at this point smh
Old 01-31-2022, 01:48 PM
New Members

here’s the updated video with better quality.. sorry lmk plz If any1 has any ideas
Old 01-31-2022, 03:00 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Does the serpentine belt turn when you do this? If yes, it is engaging the flywheel.
Old 01-31-2022, 03:34 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by twh
Does the serpentine belt turn when you do this? If yes, it is engaging the flywheel.
actually, I don’t think it’s turning but I can double check tmrw?
could I have damaged the flywheel u think?
Old 01-31-2022, 03:37 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Killaduce
actually, I don’t think it’s turning but I can double check tmrw?
could I have damaged the flywheel u think?
If it isn't turning, more than likely the starter solenoid isn't working right. Part of its job is to push the gear out to engage the flywheel. If it isn't doing that, it may seem like something is happening inside the starter, but not all that needs to happen. If that's the case, I'd say that maybe the ones you put in are not working right.
Old 01-31-2022, 03:50 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

BTW, as some others have suggested here or on the other forum, it could be a weak ground. Check the ground strap over on the right side under the car. Braided bare metal strap. If it is all green and brittle, it may be broken enough to not be able to give enough juice to actually operate the starter properly.
The following users liked this post:
Killaduce (01-31-2022)
Old 01-31-2022, 04:22 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by twh
BTW, as some others have suggested here or on the other forum, it could be a weak ground. Check the ground strap over on the right side under the car. Braided bare metal strap. If it is all green and brittle, it may be broken enough to not be able to give enough juice to actually operate the starter properly.
appreciate the help and tips.. weird thing is, before I tested these two starters I picked up.. my car slowly started to experience “no-start” symptoms which I managed to hit the old/first starter I had originally.. like 4 maybe 5 diff times, and it luckily did the trick to turn over.. so I know that originally, my issue was a bad starter/solenoid.. unless the ground cable going bad can also be temporarily bypassed by tapping the solenoid too? But that wouldn’t make sense because after this second (rebuilt bosche) starter I installed, I attempted to tap on it too but same BS and same weird A** noise when I attempt to crank HERES another thing I forgot to mention.. I retrofitted a COMBOX a month before all this nonsense started to happen, and in order for me to do most of the coding work needed for the combox to work on my e60, I had to manipulate the coding/VO just enough for it to function temporarily as an e90 I think is what I was told to go for.. and after that, I accidentally tried to restore the CAS and other module’s back to the default codes one night, USING PROTOOLS instead of ISTA/INPA (don’t ask me why&#128553 and it made all the defaults become an e90’s default coding from the EU too (& I’m in Canada lol).. Dono if that can cause major issues like this man.. but I remember even seeing my CAS coding read steptronic for my tranny instead of automatic and other little stupid things.. of course, I thought I defaulted everything back properly at the time but I’ll give it a second look

here are the errors INPA gave me earlier.. keep in mind some may be due to the battery dying on me before I went and replaced it with a brand new one a few weeks back, and others maybe cuz the car has been sitting for few months now

CAS - A0B4 (common error when car doesn’t start I take?)

CAS - A0B1 (could be caused because I put in a screwdriver, to put it in neutral to let it roll back a tiny bit)

few dme errors involving the throttle being disconnected still and boost pressure control etc. (Nothing major enough to cause the weird noise and no start I don’t think..)

DSC - 5EBA
DSC - 5F77 (one of these two errors is the steering angle sensor if I’m not mistake, which needs to just get recalibrated/re-aligned which I can do once I start the damn thing lol..)

Now.. I think the scariest errors in getting is for the tranny
one of these two errors keeps coming back even after being cleared which if I’m not mistaken, is my first error I’ll mention:

EGS - CF2B.. & the other one is..
EGS - 507D..

any1 ever see any BS this ridiculous? At a loss for words at this point lol smh really bout to give up and just junk this thing
Old 01-31-2022, 04:56 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Don't get concerned about the transmission codes yet. These are often thrown when there are issues starting and with the crankshaft position sensor.

Quick Reply: Changed starter, now car makes weird noise