E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Changed plugs and a few other things today. What a difference!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 03:08 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i Sport 6MT

I changed out my plugs on my 2005 545i today along with the pressure regulating valves, and the modified clutch delay valve. Its almost like driving a totally different car. It definitely picked up torque in the low end, and some on the top end as well. Engine seems to run much smoother. I'll keep all posted about fuel mileage. I also put in a modified CDV from Zeckhausen Racing and it really does give the clutch a MUCH better feel. However, its an absolute NIGHTMARE bleeding that system without a power bleeder. I had to remove the slave cylinder because there was a huge air pocket that the bleeder was not allowing out. It took me an hour or so all together for the plugs and valves, about a half hour or so for the CDV, and about 2 hours bleeding. LOL. The car has 65k miles on it.

I fix one thing and something is wears out. I noticed that my left inner tie rod end is starting to have some backlash when shaking the wheel. Its not that bad yet but oh well.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:18 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by 05545i' post='1077816' date='Dec 21 2009, 07:08 PM
I changed out my plugs on my 2005 545i today along with the pressure regulating valves, and the modified clutch delay valve. Its almost like driving a totally different car. It definitely picked up torque in the low end, and some on the top end as well. Engine seems to run much smoother. I'll keep all posted about fuel mileage. I also put in a modified CDV from Zeckhausen Racing and it really does give the clutch a MUCH better feel. However, its an absolute NIGHTMARE bleeding that system without a power bleeder. I had to remove the slave cylinder because there was a huge air pocket that the bleeder was not allowing out. It took me an hour or so all together for the plugs and valves, about a half hour or so for the CDV, and about 2 hours bleeding. LOL. The car has 65k miles on it.

I fix one thing and something is wears out. I noticed that my left inner tie rod end is starting to have some backlash when shaking the wheel. Its not that bad yet but oh well.
Sounds good! IMO, the 100k mile spark plug service is pretty ridiculous.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='1077867' date='Dec 22 2009, 10:18 AM
Sounds good! IMO, the 100k mile spark plug service is pretty ridiculous.
I change my spark plugs every 14000km on my old ACS5 car
you save more fuel and better power
Old 12-21-2009, 05:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by 05545i' post='1077816' date='Dec 22 2009, 08:08 AM

cool that sounds like alot of fun.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 05545i' post='1077816' date='Dec 21 2009, 08:08 PM

pressure regulating valve??what is that, do u have a part number, it that the valves on the valve cover??.... i have 78k miles and thinking of a tune up......i took my cdv out just screwed the part straight in, and it was a bitch to bleed, i got most the air out and just quit cuz i was frustrated and to my surprise the next morning the air worked it self out and the pedal was hard and perfect.....
Old 12-21-2009, 06:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Sport Pkg, Cold Weather, Nav

Originally Posted by ericdiver' post='1077885' date='Dec 21 2009, 07:34 PM
pressure regulating valve??what is that, do u have a part number, it that the valves on the valve cover??.... i have 78k miles and thinking of a tune up......i took my cdv out just screwed the part straight in, and it was a bitch to bleed, i got most the air out and just quit cuz i was frustrated and to my surprise the next morning the air worked it self out and the pedal was hard and perfect.....

Check this thread out, very easy job. Pressure Regulating Valves
Old 12-21-2009, 06:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ericdiver' post='1077885' date='Dec 21 2009, 09:34 PM
Yes the valves on the valve covers. The passenger side was really dirty (looked like the guys in that thread he posted, only not torn), the drivers side not nearly as bad. The pedal was so bad on mine it would not come back up at all. It stuck to the floor. It was a major PITA, even with a lift.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:12 PM
Members

yes that is like the ccv or whatever on the e39 540i in the back of the motor that was a major pita, but alot easier, i took the side covers off my motor so i am always looking at those things..... i think plugs and this part are due for me very soon, i have alittle bit of rough idle.... however i am still getting 28mpg on long trips so why mess with perfection
Old 12-21-2009, 06:18 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by 05545i' post='1077816' date='Dec 21 2009, 07:08 PM

Did the plugs look very dirty or could they have gone to 100K, in your opinion?
Old 12-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='1077919' date='Dec 21 2009, 10:18 PM
Did the plugs look very dirty or could they have gone to 100K, in your opinion?
They needed to be changed...they had a lot of buildup on them. it would have run poorly IMO (drop in fuel mileage, rough idle, vibration, etc) if i let them stay there until 100k.

Somehow the car was still getting 25 MPG average, more on long trips with the original plugs. With the new plugs, it definitely feels like its picked up some power. Fuel mileage will have to wait...this tank does look like it could be best anyway, my foot has been a little heavy

Bottom line: Well worth the 45$ and the hour to put them in. I used Bosch IR Fusion Platinum plugs. OEM's were NGK.

Quick Reply: Changed plugs and a few other things today. What a difference!