E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Changed my runflats to normal tyres

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 09:05 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by BLooD
Changed my tyres to normal tyres last week and what a difference,
no road noise, bumps are smoother. Also got a space saver from
the dealer £190.
My Goodyear runflats are for sale if any UK members are interested.
Congrats! A very wise decision.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Paid $421 for a RF for my MINI last month! That was more than I paid for MICHs for my 550!

I know I got ripped on that price, but was locked into a dealer fix.

sixcard
Old 07-11-2010, 02:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by wolf
I am having my run-flats changed out tomorrow for Continental Extreme Contact DW. It was either these or the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s. I ended up choosing the Continentals because they had a rating of 9 on TireRack (just slightly higher than the PS2s) but also were quite a bit more affordable.

Given what everyone has said about the difference in ride - I am really looking forward to experiencing my car in a whole new way!

Attachment 109139
Post back and let us know what you think about the tires - they're the ones I'm looking at for my LS. My car has Eagle RS-A tires on right now and it's not a very good tire at all for the car, there's too much road noise. The car does a good job of keeping the tire noise out but a quieter tire will suit the car better, I've been planning to swap them out for the DW in the reasonably near future and will be interested to hear what you think.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

Originally Posted by swajames
Post back and let us know what you think about the tires - they're the ones I'm looking at for my LS. My car has Eagle RS-A tires on right now and it's not a very good tire at all for the car, there's too much road noise. The car does a good job of keeping the tire noise out but a quieter tire will suit the car better, I've been planning to swap them out for the DW in the reasonably near future and will be interested to hear what you think.

I'll be happy to provide feedback - I am no "expert" on the subject but will give you my observations. More importantly - I will ask them at the shop. I am going to "radial tire" in the DC Metro Area. They are known as performance tire experts so I'll ask them for their frank opinion. I have to get there like 45 minutes early as people are lined up by the time the shop opens. After that it is off to the body shop to have the between two and three dozen hail dings I got about a month ago removed from my car!
Old 07-13-2010, 04:48 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Jet Black|Black Options: Sport|Premium|Cold Weather|PDC|Nav|Satellite Radio|Active Steering|Convenience Entry Mods: Trinity Side Skirts|Trinity Black Grilles|LCI Tail Lights with Bruce V6|Fog Light Bezel Rings|MTEC V2 Angel Eyes|LED License Plate Lights

Originally Posted by swajames
I had the Continental Extreme Contact DW Installed. I only had the car for few hours as I then took the car for the PDR work for hail damage. I rode about 40 miles on a variety of roads including highway and in the rain. The most obvious difference is the ride is much "cushier" but in a good way. It's like moving from a dress shoe with a hard heavy sole to a running shoe with a good springy rubber sole. I will note that I still feel every bump (possibly even more than before.). However, on straightaways with smooth road it is a noticeably nicer ride.

I didn't get a chance to really push the car for cornering and grip but I will do that when I get the car back.

While I didn't get a chance to discuss the tires with the people at the tire shop - the people at the body shop knew the tires and had very good things to say about them.

Hope that helps....
Old 07-13-2010, 09:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

I had the Continental Extreme Contact DW Installed. I only had the car for few hours as I then took the car for the PDR work for hail damage. I rode about 40 miles on a variety of roads including highway and in the rain. The most obvious difference is the ride is much "cushier" but in a good way. It's like moving from a dress shoe with a hard heavy sole to a running shoe with a good springy rubber sole. I will note that I still feel every bump (possibly even more than before.). However, on straightaways with smooth road it is a noticeably nicer ride.

I didn't get a chance to really push the car for cornering and grip but I will do that when I get the car back.

While I didn't get a chance to discuss the tires with the people at the tire shop - the people at the body shop knew the tires and had very good things to say about them.

Hope that helps....
It does - thanks for the update! Just one question, what did you think about the road noise? Were the tires quiet as well as comfortable? It's the excessive noise on the Goodyear RS-A all seasons on my LS that I'm looking to reduce. Would be interested to hear your thoughts on how the DW's perform in this regard.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:35 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

Hope that helps....
+2
Thanks for the feedback! I have enjoyed 30K miles out of my Continentals and will get another set by years end.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Next Gen LEDS

Originally Posted by Big_Scot
yep welcome to the standard tire club so much better running on Falken FK452's and they are awesome.
I have the exact same set and running strong with no issues
Old 07-17-2010, 07:47 AM
Members

Run flats can and will crack your rims if conditions are right.