E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Changed my runflats to normal tyres

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 01:23 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep welcome to the standard tire club so much better running on Falken FK452's and they are awesome.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:44 PM
Senior Members

Yes standard tyre's on my 19" original M5 rim's are smoother and quieter compared to my original 18" MV2's with runflat's,I would never go back to runflat's again.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Jet Blk, Blk Int, SMG, Sport, Nav, Prem, CW Pack, L7, PDC

Standard tires on mine! Best thing I've done on this car.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Members

My Ride: '07 550i

This bring up an interesting question then - I have runflats with tire pressure monitoring, but also a spare tire and jack in the trunk. Is this standard for run flat-equipped cars (US car)?
Old 03-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530 d M-sport e60

it seams that US cars had the space saver spare wheel as a standard option regardless of whether the car is fitted with runflats or not for some reason.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:28 PM
Members

My detachable tow bar is where your spare wheel is stored
Old 03-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530I

How much are you selling your runflat's for and whats the thread on it? My runflat's rides pretty smooth, don't hear a thing or maybe my music is just too loud?
Old 03-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2015 435xi GC

Originally Posted by YeeeHaa
I'm soo going the other way.

I have 18" rims with runflats. It's a 530d M Sport and here is the reasons why runflats rock:

1. I can have a quiet conversation at 100 mph - the tyre roar must depend on the brand you are using.

2. I live/drive in Ireland - there are so many potholes in Ireland that soon all the potholes will connect together so Ireland will be one big pothole! I have hit 2 monsterous potholes which blew and split a tyre each time but saved the alloy wheels because of the runflat cushion.

3. The handling is hugely better than any other car I have ever driven (and I have test driven most sport saloons)

4. I save fuel because of carrying no spare wheel.

5. With a blowout I get to drive home (no wheel changes) and I get least 100 miles before I get it mended.

6. Major Reason - SAFER IN AN ACCIDENT WITH A PUNCHURE/BLOWOUT.

As far as I can see the only negative aspect of good runflats are that they cost ?200 each which is about ?80 more than normal tyres.

I see what you did there...

While I agree with your #'s 4 & 5, I can sincerely say that I don't want ANYONE SPEAKING while/if I'm going 100mph+ (the tire roar and purring RPi suit me just fine )

Also, in regards to the potholes, I know exactly what you mean. Montreal has already become one giant pothole, and this is not limited to residential/industrial areas, let's include all highways, major arteries, as well as BRIDGES (yeah, i said it). Runflats would be safer, but what's life in a 350hp+ saloon without a little sweat running down your brow?
Old 03-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

Originally Posted by YeeeHaa
I'm soo going the other way.

I have 18" rims with runflats. It's a 530d M Sport and here is the reasons why runflats rock:

1. I can have a quiet conversation at 100 mph - the tyre roar must depend on the brand you are using.

2. I live/drive in Ireland - there are so many potholes in Ireland that soon all the potholes will connect together so Ireland will be one big pothole! I have hit 2 monsterous potholes which blew and split a tyre each time but saved the alloy wheels because of the runflat cushion.

3. The handling is hugely better than any other car I have ever driven (and I have test driven most sport saloons)

4. I save fuel because of carrying no spare wheel.

5. With a blowout I get to drive home (no wheel changes) and I get least 100 miles before I get it mended.

6. Major Reason - SAFER IN AN ACCIDENT WITH A PUNCHURE/BLOWOUT.

As far as I can see the only negative aspect of good runflats are that they cost ?200 each which is about ?80 more than normal tyres.

I so disagree after having had three e60 M sports with runflats (9 sets in all) even on the Irish pothole infested roads

1) Road noise on all runflats awful you only notice the difference when on normal tyres

2) The runflats have metal rims so are three times heavier than normal tyres and you do see it in fuel economy

3) When you have a puncture on runflats (Unless you change tyre immediately) you have to throw the tyre away as once it has been driven on the tyre wall integrity has been compromised and kwik fit or advanced in ireland wont repair

4) When you hit potholes the rims are so rigid that the alloys always crack after time and have to be thrown away

5) Run flats cause tramlining where the wheel pulls in a certain direction usually not the one your going in

6) I have ended up replacing my runflats after 15k miles, I get 30k miles out of Dunlop SP 3000 18" tyres ?135 a tyre

7) Runflats cost ?239.00 with major discounts

The only positive thing about runflats is the blow out factor and you have more chance of being hit by lightning.

However I did spot a leaflet in Joe Duffy's that for a price you can insure your tyres and wheels for 3 years.

regards

Grinche
Old 03-13-2010, 04:34 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BLooD
Changed my tyres to normal tyres last week and what a difference,
no road noise, bumps are smoother. Also got a space saver from
the dealer £190.

My Goodyear runflats are for sale if any UK members are interested.
If you want any BMW parts like the space saver tyre kit try out http://www.bmminiparts.com/
I get all my parts from there and it can be a big saving on dealer prices. They are all genuine parts, space saver tyre kit cost me £155 including postage.

Regards,
David

Quick Reply: Changed my runflats to normal tyres