E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Changed my order from a 535 to a 550

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 06:56 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i ZSP with Style 167 wheels

I had ordered a 535i, reasoning that was a better car for me than a 550i. Close-in performance to the 550, and better fuel economy, for a lot less money.

I started thinking about upgrading the 18? runflats to non-runflats. Then I started thinking that if I was going to go that route, why not upgrade to a set of 19?s? I could then use the 18? rims for winter tires. Not a bad idea. I started pricing wheels and tires, and pretty soon was looking at spending $3000. At that point, the 535 was still a pretty decent deal, but less so.

Then I started looking at pictures of cars that had 166?s, 167?s and 172?s on them. Although I had earlier discounted the M-tech body treatment as something that I didn?t really ?need,? the look snagged me. The 19?s would look a lot better with the M-tech body treatment.

When I reached that point, I realized that the 535?s price advantage had all but evaporated. If I put those upgrades on the 535, I?d wind up with a great looking car but not have additional ZSP features of the 550 (enhanced suspension and exhaust), and would have a difficult time recouping the additional cost of those upgrades on the 535 when the time came to sell the car. I also reasoned that if I got the 550 and wanted to change out the 172?s to 166?s or 167?s, I could just put the tires and TMP sensors that came with the 550 on the new rims and sell the 172?s and probably do better than keeping the 18?s for snows and trying to dispose of a set of 18? runflats. I have no desire to enhance the engine performance of the 535 though a Vishnu or other aftermarket solution, so a 535 tuner upgrade path didn?t factor in. Plus the stock 550 ZSP is faster and, with the upgraded suspension, handles better (perhaps not by a lot on either count).

The 535 is a great car, and has its advantages. But the allure of the extras the 550 ZSP offers relative to the 535, the elimination of the cost difference given the upgrades I desired, and the performance advantages of the 550 ZSP, swung me around.

The dealer was OK with it, so I switched my order to a 550 ZSP. I?ll be waiting about a month longer for my car (end of August vs. end of July), but I?m glad I realized that the 535i was not the better route for me to go before I bought the car than afterward.

Lou
Old 07-13-2007, 07:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

You are right on with either car is a great ride. At the end of the day I believe it's all just a matter of personal taste.
It is difficult when they are side by side. Sorry to go off topic here but I recently have the same delima with choosing a TV. When you see those 55" and 60" ones next to the 37" and 42" inch ones its hard to like the little brother even though it may be a better fit!

What color combo and options did you choose?
Old 07-13-2007, 07:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by BMWSTL' post='447252' date='Jul 13 2007, 09:56 AM
I had ordered a 535i, reasoning that was a better car for me than a 550i. Close-in performance to the 550, and better fuel economy, for a lot less money.

I started thinking about upgrading the 18" runflats to non-runflats. Then I started thinking that if I was going to go that route, why not upgrade to a set of 19's? I could then use the 18" rims for winter tires. Not a bad idea. I started pricing wheels and tires, and pretty soon was looking at spending $3000. At that point, the 535 was still a pretty decent deal, but less so.

Then I started looking at pictures of cars that had 166's, 167's and 172's on them. Although I had earlier discounted the M-tech body treatment as something that I didn't really "need," the look snagged me. The 19's would look a lot better with the M-tech body treatment.

When I reached that point, I realized that the 535's price advantage had all but evaporated. If I put those upgrades on the 535, I'd wind up with a great looking car but not have additional ZSP features of the 550 (enhanced suspension and exhaust), and would have a difficult time recouping the additional cost of those upgrades on the 535 when the time came to sell the car. I also reasoned that if I got the 550 and wanted to change out the 172's to 166's or 167's, I could just put the tires and TMP sensors that came with the 550 on the new rims and sell the 172's and probably do better than keeping the 18's for snows and trying to dispose of a set of 18" runflats. I have no desire to enhance the engine performance of the 535 though a Vishnu or other aftermarket solution, so a 535 tuner upgrade path didn't factor in. Plus the stock 550 ZSP is faster and, with the upgraded suspension, handles better (perhaps not by a lot on either count).

The 535 is a great car, and has its advantages. But the allure of the extras the 550 ZSP offers relative to the 535, the elimination of the cost difference given the upgrades I desired, and the performance advantages of the 550 ZSP, swung me around.

The dealer was OK with it, so I switched my order to a 550 ZSP. I'll be waiting about a month longer for my car (end of August vs. end of July), but I'm glad I realized that the 535i was not the better route for me to go before I bought the car than afterward.

Lou
Just the sound of the exhaust note is worth the difference . A friend just got his new 535 and now wishes he got the 550. He did the sme calculation as you and realized the small premium extra for the V8. Great Choice Good Luck
Old 07-13-2007, 07:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Heloha' post='447262' date='Jul 13 2007, 10:19 AM
You are right on with either car is a great ride. At the end of the day I believe it's all just a matter of personal taste.
It is difficult when they are side by side. Sorry to go off topic here but I recently have the same delima with choosing a TV. When you see those 55" and 60" ones next to the 37" and 42" inch ones its hard to like the little brother even though it may be a better fit!

What color combo and options did you choose?
On TV's, bigger is always better!

As noted in my signature, the car I ordered is Space Gray with Black Dakota Leather, and has the Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, NAV, Cold-Weather Package, Folding Rear Seats, Rear Sunshades, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius, iPod/USB Adapter and Anthracite headliner.

Lou
Old 07-13-2007, 08:19 AM
Senior Members

If one is looking at a 550i and 535i and price is a consideration, the simple solution is never drive a 550i. Once you compare and see that the 550i is a little better, you will try to justify getting it.
Old 07-13-2007, 08:51 AM
Contributors

See how smart BMW's product positioning is? The 535 is a great value in and of itself, but once you start on the slippery slope of add-ons and modifications, the 550i Sport package is captivating.

You will love the 550i Sport, and I think you will be astounded at how far BMW has advanced the driving experience from your 2001 E39. Congrats on getting one of the most capable machines on the planet.

Just curious, did you give any thoughts to buying a used E60 M5 instead?
Old 07-13-2007, 09:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='447296' date='Jul 13 2007, 11:51 AM
Just curious, did you give any thoughts to buying a used E60 M5 instead?
An "e60.net Anonymous" group needs to be established. This place gets expensive!!

M5...hmmm...maybe I should....hmmm....

No, not the car for me.

Lou
Old 07-13-2007, 09:36 AM
Members

I love both cars.

It makes no difference to me which car you choose.

I would like to point out that, in your cost comparison, you use cost to justify your choice by including the additional expense of new wheels and tires for the 535i, but not the 550i. Rationalize the purchase anyway you wish. The cost differential between the two cars similarly equipped will be about $8000.00.

Cost was not an issue for me. I could have gone either way. On a different day I may chosen a 550i. Some days I still wish I had chosen a 550i, some days I'm glad I didn't. Today happens to be one of the days I would like to get into a 550i. You may describe this as a dual personality.

It is because of this dual personality that I chose a 535i. Some days I want a "luxury car" that offers exceptional performance, and some days I want a "performance car" that offers exceptional luxury. In my opinion, the 535i does this better than the 550i. My perception of the 550i Sport is that it is singularly a "performance car" with exceptional luxury, and there is nothing wrong with that if that fits your needs.

I have absolutely no interest in initiating or participating in a 535i vs 550i debate (pi$$'g contest) as we have seen previously on this forum. Both cars are outstanding in their own ways, as are the 528i's. No one is foolish, inferior, or wrong for choosing one versus the other. If you have chosen a car that is true to your needs, you have selected well.

Good luck with your purchase. I hope it brings you joy.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BMWSTL' post='447252' date='Jul 13 2007, 10:56 AM
When I reached that point, I realized that the 535?s price advantage had all but evaporated. If I put those upgrades on the 535, I?d wind up with a great looking car but not have additional ZSP features of the 550 (enhanced suspension and exhaust), and would have a difficult time recouping the additional cost of those upgrades on the 535 when the time came to sell the car. I also reasoned that if I got the 550 and wanted to change out the 172?s to 166?s or 167?s, I could just put the tires and TMP sensors that came with the 550 on the new rims and sell the 172?s and probably do better than keeping the 18?s for snows and trying to dispose of a set of 18? runflats. I have no desire to enhance the engine performance of the 535 though a Vishnu or other aftermarket solution, so a 535 tuner upgrade path didn?t factor in. Plus the stock 550 ZSP is faster and, with the upgraded suspension, handles better (perhaps not by a lot on either count).
That's a very well thought through argument. How did it work with your wife??!!

As for me, I believe that rationalization is a wonderful, wonderful thing (just look at my signature). btw, have you seen those new 103-inch television screens? I'm pretty sure it will be cost advantagous for me to get one. Just let me rationalize - er, think about it - for a moment!
Old 07-13-2007, 12:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

As I said on bimmerfest,

You want the 550. Get the 550.

What I didn't say before is that I'm in the same boat. I changed my order 4 days ago to a 550.

I've been seeing Carbon Black in my dreams for some time now.

Quick Reply: Changed my order from a 535 to a 550