E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Changed Battery, some issues.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2013
Engine: S63

Hey guys as many of you know I had a few upgrades done in the car this passed months. So My car was stuck on a body shop for a months which drained the battery. This battery was old so I had no problem changing it. The car is just giving me a few issues. My service warranty is done, sa I cant take it to the dealer for these "minor" things.

1. I need to replace the microfilter.
Where is this located, and can I replace myself? Where can I get it? If Im not mistaken, I think this is for the AC unit. Please correct me.

2. The car is not storing the Date and time, every time I input it it never saves it.

3. I don't get the acoustic confirmation when I lock the car anymore, even though is checked in the iDrive menu. :/

Any help greatly appreciated!
Old 12-22-2010, 09:25 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Changing the microfilter is very easy. There are two on my 2006 530xi. See:

Don't know about the lack of saving date/time and locking confirmation. That sounds strange.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by Da_Meister_22
2. The car is not storing the Date and time, every time I input it it never saves it.
The battery's voltage is dipping down enough to cause the car to shut off nonessential electronic devices.

Since you changed the battery recently it was either replaced with a battery with too few CA and CCA values. The e60s like 1000+ CA batteries.

Also, technically you are supposed to have the new battery 'coded' at the dealer so that the electronics are reset to provide proper amount of charging amps to the battery - Never read a 100% positive message about this though. I changed my battery in the last month (because of the date/time loss) and NEVER took it to the dealer and I do not have any problems.

I would check the CA and CCA values of the battery, check the voltage on the battery when the car is running/idle [charging] (~14.4V), and check the voltage when the car is off (12.65V).
Old 12-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by or_550i
The battery's voltage is dipping down enough to cause the car to shut off nonessential electronic devices.

Since you changed the battery recently it was either replaced with a battery with too few CA and CCA values. The e60s like 1000+ CA batteries.

Also, technically you are supposed to have the new battery 'coded' at the dealer so that the electronics are reset to provide proper amount of charging amps to the battery - Never read a 100% positive message about this though. I changed my battery in the last month (because of the date/time loss) and NEVER took it to the dealer and I do not have any problems.

I would check the CA and CCA values of the battery, check the voltage on the battery when the car is running/idle [charging] (~14.4V), and check the voltage when the car is off (12.65V).
The old Battery was 12V with 850 CAC.
This new battery is 12V with 750 CAC. They told me the 100 CAC difference didnt matter since that was only for the car to run on, start up crank or something.

The one I got it was the one recommended for the car on their system, is a DieHard. :/
Old 12-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by Da_Meister_22
3. I don't get the acoustic confirmation when I lock the car anymore, even though is checked in the iDrive menu. :/
one of the doors or trunk sensor, and possibly hood sensor, might be faulty. when you press the lock button, the car locks will activate, but you wont get confirmation, until the car senses all door, trunk sensors are closed.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

The not storing date/time issue will self correct itself. No worries. Let me guess it's storing the date but not the time...or vise versa? And everytime you try to reset a service interval it doesn't work? Again, this will most likely self correct itself in probably 12-24 hours or so. Probably nothing you need to do except wait.

Don't worry. I'm surprised this hasn't happened to anyone else. It's happened to me on several 5 series when disconnecting/bypassing the battery for an extended period of time.

You'll have to re-enable accoustic info in the iDrive as it's an option. All of your options that were not at default are erased.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:42 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i, Mystic Blue over Auburn, 6-Manual, Sports, Premium, Cold Weather, Logic 7, Nav, Sirius, MTec Front & Sides with M5 rear apron, VIS Penta carbon fiber vented hood, OEM M166s, (or Style 101M with winter 19 Blizzaks), BMW Blue Calipers, Custom Quad Exhaust and M5 side grills, trunk finisher and spoiler. Rogue Octane SSK/WSR and Zeckhausen CDV, BMW illuminated shift knob, Delivered 4/26/06 - Ordered 3/18/06 from Otto's (the Best) BMW Dealership.

Originally Posted by turboawd
one of the doors or trunk sensor, and possibly hood sensor, might be faulty. when you press the lock button, the car locks will activate, but you wont get confirmation, until the car senses all door, trunk sensors are closed.
But wouldn't that throw a code or light that something (especially the hood) wasn't closed? In fact I thought you could not drive the car with the hood sensor on?
Old 12-23-2010, 08:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
The not storing date/time issue will self correct itself. No worries. Let me guess it's storing the date but not the time...or vise versa? And everytime you try to reset a service interval it doesn't work? Again, this will most likely self correct itself in probably 12-24 hours or so. Probably nothing you need to do except wait.

Don't worry. I'm surprised this hasn't happened to anyone else. It's happened to me on several 5 series when disconnecting/bypassing the battery for an extended period of time.

You'll have to re-enable accoustic info in the iDrive as it's an option. All of your options that were not at default are erased.
It not storing either one, and its been more than 24 hrs. Its also not storing my side view mirrors location.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:21 AM
Senior Members

also, there's a TPM malfunction. Could this be fixed once they clear the memory and fix everything?
Old 12-27-2010, 06:23 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by turboawd
I too have had issues with my door lock chime. I have it checked in i-drive to chirp and flash when locked, it does neither. But it still flashes when i UNLOCK the car WTF

Quick Reply: Changed Battery, some issues.