E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Change M-ASK Cd Player

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 10:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 525i xenons, premium package, non-nav

My current M-ASK Cd Player has a mind of its own and works whenever it wants, so I ordered a new one and will be receiving it today. I was just wondering if I can swap out the old unit for the new unit without any problems(no coding, no dead I-Drive, etc.)
Old 01-26-2012, 10:13 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

I think you may have to code it.

Originally Posted by TJBentley
My current M-ASK Cd Player has a mind of its own and works whenever it wants, so I ordered a new one and will be receiving it today. I was just wondering if I can swap out the old unit for the new unit without any problems(no coding, no dead I-Drive, etc.)
Old 01-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Members

Hope not! :-/ anybody know for sure before I do surgery on the car?
Old 01-26-2012, 12:05 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Have you tried using a canned compressed air? I use it to resurrect old CD drives. Use the straw that comes with the can and get it in there.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: [N62]

It's a bit difficult for anyone to answer you. Best way is to remove the long dashboard trim. Then start removing the center trim pieces. Stop by harbor freight and pick up some trim removal tools. Under $10? Just becareful to cover your shift knob. That might get scratched when removing old M-ASK unit and putting in new one.

As for my retrofit, taking out M-ASK unit and put in LCI CCC navi in without coding so I got lucky? Not sure if I'm missing any functions..

GL and just go slow. It's quite easy.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Members

Balbs - yes I tried that several times but I'm convinced that it's something wrong with the cd player itself as two of my buddies have e60's as well and have the same exact problem. Some days it will work fine for a few hours at a time and other days it won't play at all or it will start and then stop.

Lambda - okay thanks for the input. I have the long dashboard trim off I'm still trying to take out the ac unit. However, just curious, should I disconnect the battery??
Old 01-26-2012, 02:24 PM
Senior Members

I didn't disconnect the battery. The A/C controls should just be held in by 2 screws if I remember correctly. If you need more guidance I'll try to attach a file later tonight another member sent me to do mine. It helped A LOT.

P.s. since out BMW battery aren't the best. I would crack a window when doing this and make sure to have all the tools handy so you don't need to open/close the doors often (if you don't disconnect the battery cable). Make sure to have a bright flashlight or two!
Old 01-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Members

Thanks lambda! Just got back in from doing it all. So before reading your response, I decided to just go ahead and give it a try. I disconnected the battery and managed to get the old M-ASK unit out. Now the biggest PITA is trying to connect the new M-ASK unit in the wires behind the unit aren't long at all and trying to align the pins correctly and push it in seemed to be quite a task. It's raining over here and it's night so there's no sunlight outside and my little flashlight was just making me too frustrated. I'll continue in the morning when there's light out. Left the car battery disconnected, hope that won't have any adverse affects leaving it that way overnight. Anyway, thanks man I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:07 PM
Senior Members

I forgot to mention one other thing. Be extremely careful of the black cables on the main connector. The wiring inside those are supposedly fragile and difficult to replace from what I was told. So just take a break and find another flashlight or phone LED light. Since you've done 50% of the work already, place the new M-ASK Unit closer to the opening and try to fit without forcing too much pressure on the cable harness. It would be nice if you could find someone that'll hold the flashlight for you. Keep us updated.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:08 PM
Members

So apparently you DO need to code it after all Plugged it all back in and received a "Head Unit Not Coded Properly" message on the I-Drive. Radio stations do not work, neither does inserting a CD. Anyone in the NY area know how to do coding?? I definitely do not want to take a trip to the stealership.

Quick Reply: Change M-ASK Cd Player