E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change Brake Fluid - Message

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 09:01 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i Manual Sport
Model Year: 2007
Engine: 4.8 L N62 V8

I just got a "Change Brake Fluid Soon" message on the my dashboard.

1 - Is this an easy DIY?
2 - How much does the dealer typically charge for this service and is it worth it?
Old 11-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Titanum Grey 525i 2004 Black 328i 2008 2008 E70 X5

I dont think its that hard if u got some experience with breaks. I did it few months ago for something around $120 or less at the dealer
Old 11-28-2011, 09:19 AM
Senior Members

go in the DIY section. Huge write up. if you outsource find a independent mec..Its basic bleeding 101 shouldnt be more than 200 bucks ...Diy would be 1 liter of dot 4 fluid 7 bucks and a couple hours with a buddy following the DIY write up.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by skeematics
I just got a "Change Brake Fluid Soon" message on the my dashboard.

1 - Is this an easy DIY?
2 - How much does the dealer typically charge for this service and is it worth it?
Brake fluid changes are recommended every two years ... many BMW Dealers run regular specials http://www.bmwofturnersville.com/bmw...-sid-6695.html or an experienced BMW indy can handle,
Old 11-28-2011, 05:51 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

I just did mine. The available DIY is good. I used the Motive pressure bleeder. If you have done any brake work yourself in the past and bled brakes, you can manage this. Use a pressure bleeder or vacuum bleeder. I don't like the pedal pumping method - I think it can lead to premature master cylinder piston seal wear.

One note if you have a manual transmission - the DIY is missing a needed tip. The BMW brake fluid reservoir holds the brake fluid for the brakes AND the clutch master cylinder. But, there is a partition inside the reservoir, such that if you lost your clutch brake fluid, you don't drain the entire brake fluid reservoir (and lose your brakes). What that means, is that when bleeding the clutch, you have to have the brake fluid reservoir absolutely full in order to get the fluid over the partition into the clutch side of the brake fluid reservoir. When I bled the brakes, the brake fluid reservoir was not completely full and that wasn't a problem in bleeding the brakes. But, in bleeding the clutch, the small air pocket left in the brake fluid reservoir prevented the clutch from getting new fluid until I completely filled the brake fluid reservoir.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got my brake fluid changed at a local indy shop for under $80.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:36 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by twh
I just did mine. The available DIY is good. I used the Motive pressure bleeder. If you have done any brake work yourself in the past and bled brakes, you can manage this. Use a pressure bleeder or vacuum bleeder. I don't like the pedal pumping method - I think it can lead to premature master cylinder piston seal wear.

One note if you have a manual transmission - the DIY is missing a needed tip. The BMW brake fluid reservoir holds the brake fluid for the brakes AND the clutch master cylinder. But, there is a partition inside the reservoir, such that if you lost your clutch brake fluid, you don't drain the entire brake fluid reservoir (and lose your brakes). What that means, is that when bleeding the clutch, you have to have the brake fluid reservoir absolutely full in order to get the fluid over the partition into the clutch side of the brake fluid reservoir. When I bled the brakes, the brake fluid reservoir was not completely full and that wasn't a problem in bleeding the brakes. But, in bleeding the clutch, the small air pocket left in the brake fluid reservoir prevented the clutch from getting new fluid until I completely filled the brake fluid reservoir.
I need your help. I bleed the brakes with pressure bleeder fine and moved to the clutch last but pressure bleeder tank run out of fluid and I heard the air coming from bleeder screw. I closed it quickly but master cylinder tank was full. I see this happened to you also. So all I need is to fill the pressure bleeder with fluid and pump it and bleed it again? Do I need some extra fluid to drive that air out? Thanks
Old 02-05-2013, 05:45 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Margal
I need your help. I bleed the brakes with pressure bleeder fine and moved to the clutch last but pressure bleeder tank run out of fluid and I heard the air coming from bleeder screw. I closed it quickly but master cylinder tank was full. I see this happened to you also. So all I need is to fill the pressure bleeder with fluid and pump it and bleed it again? Do I need some extra fluid to drive that air out? Thanks
When this happened to me this is what I did. My Motive bleeder still had brake fluid in it. I cracked open the screw cap from the Motive bleeder to the master cylinder reservoir until all the air was out of the master cylinder reservoir and a little brake fluid came out the sides around the screw cap. Lighten the pressure in the Motive bleeder to not make a mess. Then, I tightened the screw cap from Motive to the master cylinder reservoir. There is a high wall inside the plastic master cylinder reservoir you need to get over. I don't know exactly how high it is, but if the reservoir is 100% full you are ok. Now, I went back to bleeding the clutch. Once the bleeding was complete, I removed some fluid from the resiour using a short hose. Just dip the hose into the fluid and put your finger on the end of the hose and take some out - you will do the hose/finger thing a few times.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:07 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005

Thank for quick response
How much fluid should come out from bleeder?
Did you open the bleeder screw a little bit like 1/4 turn? How much pressure did you put in?
Did you depressed clutch at all during pressure bleeder was connected?
What exactly do you mean by hose/finger combination?
Can I just use a regular siphon to take extra fluid out?
Thanks one more time
Old 02-06-2013, 05:53 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Margal
Thank for quick response
How much fluid should come out from bleeder?
Did you open the bleeder screw a little bit like 1/4 turn? How much pressure did you put in?
Did you depressed clutch at all during pressure bleeder was connected?
What exactly do you mean by hose/finger combination?
Can I just use a regular siphon to take extra fluid out?
Thanks one more time
When I opened the clutch bleeder screw, I opened it maybe quarter or half turn or something like that. I don't remember, but it was open plenty.

I used something less than the lesser of the max pressure listed on the Motive bleeder not to exceed pressure or BMW brake bleed pressure (29 psi). You don't need it set to 29 psi to work.

When I originally started the bleed, I got a lot of air. That's when I scratched my head, cursed a bunch, and went to the Internet to try and determine what was happening.

Then I went about the procedure I listed in the previous post.

I did no manipulating of the clutch pedal at all. I test drove the car after the bleed and before putting the bottom shields back on and it felt fine. If you feel it not grabbing at the same place as before, you might want to push the pedal in and out some and bleed it again briefly.

Not sure what you mean by regular siphon. A kitchen "turkey" baster type thing would be fine. Main point is it has to a virgin siphon or hose piece or is a piece that is already dedicated to brake fluid. You don't want to contaminate the fluid with any residual non-brake fluids, water, dirt, etc.

Quick Reply: Change Brake Fluid - Message