E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Center Dash Area Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 08:25 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

I've mentioned in a couple threads that periodically I have an annoying vibration or low-buzz from the center dash area. I was pretty sure it was around the iDrive display, or the climate controls - somewhere in that area. It is a vibration that only occurs infrequently, seeming to require a certain road surface, and speed combination.

I discovered the actual source today, this may help some of you as well. I haven't yet R&R'd the part to see how best to solve it, but it clearly is coming from the plastic housing attached to the bottom of the center rear view mirror, enclosing (I think) high beam assist sensor, rain sensor, and probably other electronics.

If others have made this discovery before and have solved this intermittent vibration sound, let me know what you did to solve it.

Thanks,

Cal
Old 09-09-2008, 10:51 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Cal
Just wondering , is this vibration only audible at low revs (pulling away in 1st A/T )??
This is my problem and I havent yet find the source. I thought it was coming from the I drive screen as well.
I hope your find is the culprit because its driving me nuts!