E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

CD-Text ghost

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The CD-text (song & artist title) would load up from a previous CD when putting in a different CD. Sometimes it display the correct CD-text and sometimes it uses an "old" CD-text from a CD i played a long time ago. Since it does that sporadically to the same CD--I'm pretty sure I burned my CD correctly. I'm surprised--Do idrive store the CD data in a cache memory somewhere?

I know it has been happening from time to time since I have had a few new progman version up to my current 28. Anybody else have this problem or noticed that their i-drive is not displaying the correct songs & artists title from time to time?
Old 04-17-2008, 11:47 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

iDrive stores ALL data in cache memory. Ever noticed how loading a new Navigation screen takes so long the first time but then loads fast the next time you go to the same screen.

However I didn't know it was saving temporary data between cycles or are you saying you see the old CD text on the new CD while the car has not been switched off (cycled). Either way I would report this to the dealer and try and get a free software upgrade.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:58 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Free updates would be great but I'm out of warranty already. Minor annoyance I can live with but just ummm surprised! Yes everything gets loaded into memory similiar to our personal computer. When turning power off the "cache" memory can take up few seconds to clear since no power is keeping the memory refreshed. I'm thinking along the line that CD-text data might be stored similiar to date & time or navigational addresses. But I find it hard to believe and it doesn't make much sense for idrive to store unimportant data.

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='563571' date='Apr 18 2008, 12:47 AM
iDrive stores ALL data in cache memory. Ever noticed how loading a new Navigation screen takes so long the first time but then loads fast the next time you go to the same screen.

However I didn't know it was saving temporary data between cycles or are you saying you see the old CD text on the new CD while the car has not been switched off (cycled). Either way I would report this to the dealer and try and get a free software upgrade.