E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

CD / Radio Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all

Quick question about a couple of problems I am having with my CD / Radio.

The volume on the radio will occasionally turn up very loud for no reason and without me touching the volume control.

Also, if I am listening to a CD, it occasionally will just switch to the radio (always Classic FM )

Is this a problem with the iDrive?
Any other suggestions will be much appreciated as I am taking the car back to the dealers on the 25th for some other work to be carried out.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2008, 09:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Hey Nephs....

Your first problem with the volume increasing rapidly may be related to the iDrive Speed Volume setting. The faster you drive/harder you accelerate, the louder your volume gets. Turn this down to zero and it should not happen.

As for your second problem, that is very weird. Do you have any of the steering keys programmed to go to next audio source? Make sure they're not stuck or have a contact somewhere that's causing them to switch. I would send this one to BMW diagnostics at your service for more info btw....
Old 03-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='540109' date='Mar 5 2008, 06:09 PM
Hey Nephs....

Your first problem with the volume increasing rapidly may be related to the iDrive Speed Volume setting. The faster you drive/harder you accelerate, the louder your volume gets. Turn this down to zero and it should not happen.

As for your second problem, that is very weird. Do you have any of the steering keys programmed to go to next audio source? Make sure they're not stuck or have a contact somewhere that's causing them to switch. I would send this one to BMW diagnostics at your service for more info btw....
Thanks for your reply subarashi.

I should have mentioned that the volume will go loud when I am stationary.

I know about the volume incresing when accelerating which I'm fine with but the volume just rocketing up when sat in traffic is not normal.

I didn't think to check the steering wheel keys but I'll check them as soon as I can and let you know.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d Black & SL350

Originally Posted by Nephs' post='539708' date='Mar 4 2008, 11:10 PM
Hi all

Quick question about a couple of problems I am having with my CD / Radio.

The volume on the radio will occasionally turn up very loud for no reason and without me touching the volume control.

Also, if I am listening to a CD, it occasionally will just switch to the radio (always Classic FM )

Is this a problem with the iDrive?
Any other suggestions will be much appreciated as I am taking the car back to the dealers on the 25th for some other work to be carried out.

Thanks
The high volume doesn't coincide with a traffic alert by any chance? I find these to be stupidly loud and you can only reduce the volume of them using the radio knob and while they are actually on.

Secondly, it may not be much help but I'm sure I read somewhere that the Classic FM frequency is used to carry the the traffic information - sounds like you have a glitch, which is switching you to Classic FM instead of just stripping out the traffic stuff...
Old 03-06-2008, 05:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i E60 Orient Blau Metallic Premium, NAV, Winter Package, Heads Up Display, Logic 7 Audio, AngeliBright Upgrade [White], M5 Body Kit, M Embroidered Seats

Originally Posted by Lancaster' post='540152' date='Mar 5 2008, 03:48 PM
The high volume doesn't coincide with a traffic alert by any chance? I find these to be stupidly loud and you can only reduce the volume of them using the radio knob and while they are actually on.

Secondly, it may not be much help but I'm sure I read somewhere that the Classic FM frequency is used to carry the the traffic information - sounds like you have a glitch, which is switching you to Classic FM instead of just stripping out the traffic stuff...
That is a good possibility and worth checking out. Can you disable your traffic updates? We don't have this here in the US so Im not sure how it can be done. But if it goes away with the traffic updates off...problem isolated/solved.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d Black & SL350

Originally Posted by subarashi' post='540559' date='Mar 6 2008, 02:32 PM
That is a good possibility and worth checking out. Can you disable your traffic updates? We don't have this here in the US so Im not sure how it can be done. But if it goes away with the traffic updates off...problem isolated/solved.
Yes, you can certainly switch off traffic announcements via iDrive in UK models. Same with traffic updates.

In the UK:

Traffic announcements = radio automatically switches to local station when traffic announcements come on.

Traffic updates = sat nav is updated to show traffic problems and offer "Alternative Route."

HTH

Martin
Old 03-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Members

I think you all may be on to something here. Thinking about the problem it does tend to happen when the news is on the radio followed by the traffic report.

I've switched off the traffic announcements and will monitor over the next few days and let you know.

Thanks for everyones help.