E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

CD Changer location

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 09:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize I'm getting picky but thought one of you engineers on the forum might have some thoughts on my minor issue. Both my current Landcruiser and Volvo S80 I traded in had CD changers built into the dash. Why do you think the designers of the E60 opted to use the glove box? I would think that with the IDrive some space was reduced in the dash area that could hold a 4-6 CD changer. Perhaps it was aesthetic reasons? Can't figure it out...
Old 06-05-2004, 09:40 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW

IMO it's not something people access very often so why put in the dash and make the dash look ugly? It's better in the glove box than in the trunk like the E39's but... who knows.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:09 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

I ordered an extra 6 Disc Magazine so I can play my favorite CDs (Journey, Queen, Styx, Eagles, Led Zep...) other than my wife's Disco Tunes. Glove box is a perfect location IMO.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:33 PM
Members

Thanks Rizbel...that's the solution. Regarding appearance and functionality, there's already a CD player in the dash that holds just one CD. It looks no different then the in-dash 4-6 CD changers I have/had in my previous autos. I'm sure they could have found a way to allow for more then one CD to be held in the dash. Glove box is fine but don't try changing a few CD's while driving...you'll have to contort yourself like a circus freak and will probably die trying.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:58 PM
Contributors

Other cars hold 6 discs in the dash same CD player location, no removable cartridge. This solution seems like the easiest to use. I don't know if BMW tought this to be a safety risk. The glove compartment location is better than the trunk location in previous models, but it is so hard to get to it, but at least a passenger can change disks. I like the suggestion of getting a second cartridge.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

My dealer told me that BMW decided to stay with cartridge changer instead of the in-dash slot scheme because of warranty/failure issues with in-dash changers. 6-dish in dash is not extremely new, but with a cartridge, you don't have to worry about having your car in the shop because of a stuck CD in the in-dash changer. The cartridge design is proven and reliable.

The glove compartment is good if you keep it neat and are not one who changes CDs on the go while driving. The location does not bother me, especially since you have a single slot in the dash.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:42 PM
Members

I concur with BMW metholds. I had a S80 with 4CD in dash changer and I have a Navigator with the same. It's nice to be able to change all at one location but if you look at the size of the radios there is alot more room taken inside of the dash. It is nice to have six in the glove that I listen to all the time and if I get something new I have the dash at arms reach.

Glove box is better than trunk. Don't have to stop every time you want to change more that one cd. Extra magizine is the ticket.
Old 06-05-2004, 10:56 PM
Senior Members

IMHO, BMW's fabulous engineers should have just designed a solid state drive much like those found in MP3 players or thumb-drive.

Such a device can hold many numbers say on a 4GB micro-drive which can be conveniently slot into a drive bay somewhere on the dash without marring its design or look. They ought to be more adventurous in their design and build something one-up for the industry to follow.

This way, what a magazine holds (say 4 to 6 discs or more) can be in one compact flash/drive!

Now, lets hear some opinion on this idea.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:34 AM
Senior Members

Yeah right! Let's assume that they would go for such an idea. Any estimates on when it would be available? Knowning BMW they will get it right with software version 99.0?
Old 06-06-2004, 02:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Olivin530i' date='Jun 6 2004, 06:56 AM
IMHO, BMW's fabulous engineers should have just designed a solid state drive much like those found in MP3 players or thumb-drive.

Such a device can hold many numbers say on a 4GB micro-drive which can be conveniently slot into a drive bay somewhere on the dash without marring its design or look. They ought to be more adventurous in their design and build something one-up for the industry to follow.

This way, what a magazine holds (say 4 to 6 discs or more) can be in one compact flash/drive!

Now, lets hear some opinion on this idea.
Decent idea as a supplement, but to many people the idea of only having lossy compression music available would not be acceptable (even in a car).

Quick Reply: CD Changer location