E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

CCC Module burned out

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 03:43 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i
Default CCC Module burned out

Hey guys I have a 2004 545i and just recently my CCC unit burned out. I was driving one night and smelled something burning and all of a sudden the whole screen blacked out. So the next morning I took everything apart and found a burn spot on the back of the CCC unit. I have searched and couldn't find anything as to why it would burn out like that. If anyone has any ideas as to what caused the problem that would be great. I plan on purchasing another unit but I don't want to install it and have the same thing happen to that one as well, thank you.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:21 PM
New Members

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Sorry not sure what the problem. My CCC unit just went out as well.

I've read there is a fuse on the back of the CCC unit. Was the burn spot located where is the fuse is? You could try to install another fuse before buying another CCC unit. In my web searches, I've never heard of people reporting a burnt smell when the CCC goes out. Maybe you can luck out with a new fuse.

Keep us posted.

CVT
Old 01-08-2014, 12:58 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 BMW 528XI, 1954 Oldsmobile Super 88 324cui
Model Year: 2010

I have a CIC unit for sale, upgrade and be done with it. Screen included. PM if interested
Old 01-09-2014, 12:26 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan
Sorry not sure what the problem. My CCC unit just went out as well.

I've read there is a fuse on the back of the CCC unit. Was the burn spot located where is the fuse is? You could try to install another fuse before buying another CCC unit. In my web searches, I've never heard of people reporting a burnt smell when the CCC goes out. Maybe you can luck out with a new fuse.

Keep us posted.

CVT
It wasn't near the fuse. I've checked all the other fuses and they were all good besides the "Radio" one which I replaced but that didn't fix anything.

Originally Posted by Canada22
I have a CIC unit for sale, upgrade and be done with it. Screen included. PM if interested
Yeah I was thinking about that as well. I'll let you know.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:39 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60 01/04 545i - 19" Alloys

Hey teh_pledge,

I'm an electronics technician and do lots of fault finding to component level, if you upload a pic of the board (I've never looked at a CCC screen board before but am very familiar with complex circuits) I might be able to help you identify an issue and possible fix for the current board. Like most circuits, heat is the number one killer, followed by water. of course any short circuits, voltage spikes or component failures can also be the cause.

I think it sounds like component failure, being its just the CCC screen (I assume I-Drive is still working like the radio and voice) and could be an on board power supply which I can fix and test (I have an 04 545i too) or somebody whose electronics savvy can fix

More than happy to help a fellow enthusiast out, just need clear pictures of the PCB and in particular the area around the burnt spot (as clear as possible so the component values are visible)

Cheers,

Matt
Old 01-11-2014, 07:11 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by ma_tty_d
Hey teh_pledge,

I'm an electronics technician and do lots of fault finding to component level, if you upload a pic of the board (I've never looked at a CCC screen board before but am very familiar with complex circuits) I might be able to help you identify an issue and possible fix for the current board. Like most circuits, heat is the number one killer, followed by water. of course any short circuits, voltage spikes or component failures can also be the cause.

I think it sounds like component failure, being its just the CCC screen (I assume I-Drive is still working like the radio and voice) and could be an on board power supply which I can fix and test (I have an 04 545i too) or somebody whose electronics savvy can fix

More than happy to help a fellow enthusiast out, just need clear pictures of the PCB and in particular the area around the burnt spot (as clear as possible so the component values are visible)

Cheers,

Matt
Hey, thank you for taking the time to help me. I have a picture but I don't know if it's good enough, if not please let me know and I'll take a better one.

The screen went out completely as well as the radio, voice or any type of noise from the speaker. For example, the seatbelt chime, I can't hear any warnings when the warning lights for it shows up.

I spilled a drink on the i-drive controller but I'm not sure if that would cause the radio to burn out. I have since then taken the whole center console out and cleaned as much of the spilled drink as I could.

Here is the board:

And the burn mark:
Old 01-11-2014, 10:18 PM
New Members

That picture is fine for me to identify the problem. It's a burnt power supply circuit. I couldn't tell you why it burnt out but if you remove the circuit board and take some pictures of both sides I could tell you if it is repairable!

I wouldn't have thought that the ccc would power the radio. But it could, my best bet would be either the fuse is blown or the radio needs the ccc to enable it! If it is repairable I could guide you through how to fix it or if posting it to Australia isn't an issue is be more than happy to look at it. I couldn't promise anything though.

Good luck Matt
Old 01-12-2014, 07:56 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by ma_tty_d
That picture is fine for me to identify the problem. It's a burnt power supply circuit. I couldn't tell you why it burnt out but if you remove the circuit board and take some pictures of both sides I could tell you if it is repairable!

I wouldn't have thought that the ccc would power the radio. But it could, my best bet would be either the fuse is blown or the radio needs the ccc to enable it! If it is repairable I could guide you through how to fix it or if posting it to Australia isn't an issue is be more than happy to look at it. I couldn't promise anything though.

Good luck Matt
If I installed a new one would I have a problem of the new one burning out as well? I will take it out and take pictures of both sides when I get home tomorrow. I would rather just get a new one if it won't burn out because I have never soldered anything so I don't really want to mess with it unless I can take it to someone to do it for me.

The radio fuse was blown when the CCC went out and I have replaced it since then. Not sure if the CCC burning out would cause the radio fuse to blow though.

Thank you for your help.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:18 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by teh_pledge
If I installed a new one would I have a problem of the new one burning out as well? I will take it out and take pictures of both sides when I get home tomorrow. I would rather just get a new one if it won't burn out because I have never soldered anything so I don't really want to mess with it unless I can take it to someone to do it for me.

The radio fuse was blown when the CCC went out and I have replaced it since then. Not sure if the CCC burning out would cause the radio fuse to blow though.

Thank you for your help.
I couldn't tell you if the new one would burn out, sorry, there are too many things that could have caused the last one to burn out! at the time it burnt out, was it a hot day? was it around the same time or shortly after spilling drink on the console?

I'd open up the I-Drive control knob and check for corrosion on the board before installing a new CCC, as this spill seems to be the only thing I can think of that could possibly cause that.

As it burnt before the fuse blew is, leads me think that it was corrosion on one of the boards (probably the drink spill) creating a 'close to zero ohm' short on the power, which in turn loaded the power supply circuit to max, but not enough current to blow the fuse, and then it cooked itself.

I'd start with the I-Drive knob next and then and confirm there is no corrosion

All the best,

Matt

Quick Reply: CCC Module burned out