E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Castrol SLX LL04!!! 1st service

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 09:27 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone

Just picked up my car from its 1st service from the dealer. The bill ?200 for an oil change But that's not what I am writing about, the sheet reads Castrol SLX LL04!?

I can't even find that oil on Castrol's website, I think it was replaced by another one? Am I right? Is it still OK to use the SLX LL04 on my 530i? or should I question this?

Thanks
Old 08-09-2007, 09:39 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by the-oneil' post='457054' date='Aug 9 2007, 09:27 AM
Hi everyone

Just picked up my car from its 1st service from the dealer. The bill ?200 for an oil change But that's not what I am writing about, the sheet reads Castrol SLX LL04!?

I can't even find that oil on Castrol's website, I think it was replaced by another one? Am I right? Is it still OK to use the SLX LL04 on my 530i? or should I question this?

Thanks
Castrol Introduces a New Revolutionary Oil for the BMW Group
'Clean Performance TechnologyTM'
Castrol, strategic partner of BMW, have developed a new lubricant with `Clean Performance TechnologyTM` in close cooperation with BMW, which sets new standards in the industry. Castrol SLX LL04 0W-30 is specially engineered to keep the engine and exhaust system clean, reducing harmful emissions to the environment. SLX LL04 is developed for the new generation of BMW's with particulate filters and meets the latest specifications BMW Longlife-04. Due to its `Clean Performance TechnologyTM`, SLX LL04 reduces long term blocking of the particle filters and can be used in all BMW diesel and petrol engines (excluding M series). Castrol is the first lubricant manufacturer to bring a `Clean Performance TechnologyTM` oil onto the market.

BMW have started fitting diesel particulate filters (DPF's) to their cars. Initially the BMW 5 series will be offered with a DPF, other models such as the new 3 series will follow. These new diesel engines fitted with a DPF need an engine oil based on new lubricant technology. Together with the engine management system the DPF ensures long-term reduction of particle emissions. In order to prolong the durability of the DPF the so called 'Low SAPS' oils are required. Castrol's `Clean Performance TechnologyTM` is a totally new 'Low SAPS' formulation containing lower levels of Sulphated Ash, Phosphorous and Sulphur compared with conventional oils.

Castrol's 'Clean Performance TechnologyTM' is specially engineered to keep the engine and exhaust system clean, reducing harmful emissions to the environment. High levels of metal-based additives in engine oil can contribute to long term blocking of exhaust filters and increased harmful emissions. 'Clean Performance TechnologyTM', from Castrol, uses low levels of these metal-based additives to prolong the life of the exhaust system. By keeping exhaust systems clear, Castrol's 'Clean Performance TechnologyTM' provides superior power flow through the engine, maintaining vehicle performance and fuel economy.

With Castrol's revolutionary `Clean Performance TechnologyTM`, new Castrol SLX LL04 meets the requirements of the future generation of both diesel and petrol engines of the BMW Group.

Key features and benefits of Castrol SLX LL04 0W-30:
Features:

New 'Clean Performance TechnologyTM'
Special Fully Synthetic 0W-30 Low SAPS formulation
Compatible with Diesel Particulate Filters
Long drain capability
Approved to BMW Longlife-04 (including Longlife-01)
Benefits:

Cleaner environment (reduced emissions of harmful particulates from the exhaust)
Helps keep exhaust system clean
Maintains engine performance and fuel economy
Prolongs durability of the exhaust system
Fast cold start properties through 0W viscosity
Castrol SLX LL04 is the first engine oil, which fulfills the new BMW Longlife-04 specification. With the `Clean Performance TechnologyTM` it has a wide range of applications from the latest diesels fitted with DPF filters to new and existing petrol engine technology. The new product offers profitable opportunities for the BMW network. Castrol will support the dealers with tailor made marketing and communication concepts to exploit this new opportunity.

Source:Text courtesy BP Lubricants
Old 08-09-2007, 09:57 AM
Senior Members

Thanks E60M5E60

How old is this article? Could it be an old one before the SLX was discontinued?

It seems the SLX LL04 is for diesel engines!!!! Mine is petrol

I am really confused now!
Old 08-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Interesting... Wonder what dealers are using now across the pond.