E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber / Vinyl Wrap bumper lip?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 07:04 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i SMG Sport
Default Carbon Fiber / Vinyl Wrap bumper lip?

I have a sapphire black 545i with about 80K miles. I'm trying to mod the front end inexpensively and have decided that I really like the look of the ACS front lip. (personally more than the other full bumpers, it's a personal choice)

I found one for $144 shipped at Sears. I'm wondering if I can wrap it myself (gloss black perhaps) for an inexpensively done front end and mount it myself? I've heard painting cost estimates and I think wrapping is cheaper? (I've never wrapped anything, so it's a noob opinion)

Anyone have any experiences or observations on doing something similar? I think it would blend / stand out just enough, but I don't want it to look like I pasted something on my car.... If you've seen one or tried one and have observations to share, I'd love to hear it!

(Yes, I know other people would rather replace the entire front bumper, but I think my budget can only handle this lip at this point)

Thanks for any opinions!
Old 09-04-2013, 09:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

You won't be able to wrap that lip correctly. The shape is just too complex and a pro would struggle to get it right! Can be done, but for sure not by ones first try. If you plan on cutting it and patching, then yes. Why not get you a good spray can and spray it? If you do, clean well and get a can of adhesion promoter, otherwise, the paint will fly off and end up on someones windshield...
Old 09-04-2013, 11:12 AM
New Members

Thanks for that opinion! I appreciate the seasoned advice on other options.
I just assumed that painting was too expensive, and that wrapping would be cheaper (could possibly be edgier). Appreciate the tips, I'll consider painting - Do you have any suggestion on how I can get a spray can for the Sapphire black (and any specific products on the adhesion promoter?)
Thanks!
Old 09-04-2013, 11:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

If you go to an auto paint supply store they can mix you the paint you need and they should also have available an aerosol spray can and bottle where you can pour this paint into and spray. I would just get single stage urethane. The problem you will run into is the cost of everything you need will probably be more than if you just took it to a small shop to have it painted. Check around you might can get it done for 50.00 plus depending on how hungry they are. Or you could just paint it gloss black for much less and it will still look nice until you drive it. Then you will spend the next day’s cleaning off all of the chewing gum that you scrape off the road and eventually it will become soooo scraped and damaged that it really won't matter if it's just black... Don't want to sound negative, but it's nice spoiler and IMOP if your car is stock height it will probably work just fine, but if you are factory lowered it will be just too close to the ground, and it only takes one good hit or pull and next thing you know you are collecting your spoiler AND your bumper off the parking lot pavement. It almost happened to me. Mine is lowered due to sport suspension and when I pulled into the Starbucks I scraped a little and said shit! Oh well, then reversed and when I did I believe the spoiler bit into the curb and literally pulled off my bumper causing damage to the clips. Luckily, I was able to repair it with only a small little crack which is not too visible. Otherwise, I would be buying a new bumper. That’s when the spoiler was removed and to this day it still rest with its other friends under my house. I’ve thought of moding it a little to see what I could do to change it up or something different.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:42 PM
New Members

Thanks tonyb635! That's great perspective. I have the factory lowered sport suspension, and I agree, its pretty good where it stands (for my practical side anyway). That's why I didn't want to put too much money into it... (it's a part intended to scrape at some point...)

Thanks for your tips! I'll likely give it a shot (not going for kits, etc.) and I'll ask around some local shops.