E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Carbon Black Vs Orient Blue

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 08:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

I've ordered Carbon Black, as Orient Blue isn't available on the Sport. Mystic Blue is a bit light (and a bit common), so I ordered something darker.

I've not seen either colour well enough (outside in bright sunshine) to be sure about the 2 colours. And of course photos never do justice to a good metallic paint.

What's the verdict. Are they very very similar. Is one better than the other. Does the car look black with a hint or blue, or "midnight" blue.

I like back and I like blue, so I don't mind what it really looks like. Will be a nice surprise when it arrives. Colour is such an individual thing, but I'd like to know how popular both colours are. Would anyone with Orient Blue preferred to have Carbon Black, and vice versa.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:07 AM
Members

Banglebox_530d,
I was a bit like you, I haven't settled yet as I still can change my order but Carbon Back is my favourite. It is a fair deal darker than Orient blue but then again it used to be an M only/Individual colour so it is less common than Mystic blue, which I also like a lot. I think the E60/61 shapes are much better suited for a darker colour.
If you feel like forking a lot of money ie GBP 1,300 as part of Individual, Onyx Blue is really nice, just a shade darker than Orient blue but def "bluer" than Carbon Black
Anymay my 2c as tatses and colours are such an individual thing

C
Old 10-25-2004, 09:27 AM
Senior Members

I've been to three dealers over the weekend and all of them had carbon black sports in the showroom with black leather. I would have thought you could have seen one fairly easily at your local dealer. The Carbon black is a fair bit darker than Orient. I have an Orient blue 530d as a loaner just now and had the 2 parked side by side. The best way I could describe Carbon is that it is like an ink navy.

As you say colour is a personal choice. I don't like the carbon with the black interior as I don't think there is enough of a contrast on the car. I couldn't get used to the aluminium cube interior trim either as it looks very stark in the all black interior. I had a Montreal blue 3 series coupe a few years back with a black interior and I never liked it from the day I collected it. Each to their own though.
Old 10-25-2004, 09:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d Sport - Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather, Media Pack (satnav, bluetooth, CD changer), heated font seats, through load

Sounds like Orient is what I really want, but it's not available on the sport model. (no sport models available when I went to the dealers)

I don't like grey or light coloured leather, so black is my only choice really. But I do agree, black/black isn't ideal.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:27 AM
Contributors

For some reason the lines of the car come out A LOT better in lighter colours IMHO. That, and the fact it is easier to maintain makes the titanium silver the only colour I'd have this car in. (With the possible exception of white, or mystic blue if I'd live in a VERY sunny country)
The X3 on the other hand does not look right in silver. It seems too high. The black makes it look more solid somehow.

Like you said, it is very personal.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:32 AM
JDN
Contributors

I like this black one, FF, but it has convinced me again that the decision I made in 1960 to never own another black car was the right one. I am always rinsing and wiping this thing. If something doesn't break soon, I may do the RejeX thing. Already did the hood.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:29 AM
Members

Color (I meant "colour") is totally in the eyes of the beholder/car payment maker. I had a jet black 3er for 3 years and while it looked fantastic when it was clean I just couldn't stand to look at it the other 75% of the time. My next car (5er) is in Titanium Silver as this is one of the best colors for hiding dirt and dust. Not only that, I think the car looks stunning in this very common colour.

One thing I've learned about BMWs is that if you want to know which color BMW thinks is the best then just look in the official press release photos and the brochures. Usually they showcase one color such as Silver or Silver Grey or Orient Blue as in the E60 brochures.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D

Do you reckognize immly Jet, Saphire and Carbon if you see any black car on the street? I have Jet black and can't distinguish between two former colours at a glance. (need them clean side by side and good lighting). What about Carbon in person?
Old 10-26-2004, 10:36 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MARCUS545' date='Oct 26 2004, 10:29 AM
Color (I meant "colour") is totally in the eyes of the beholder/car payment maker.? I had a jet black 3er for 3 years and while it looked fantastic when it was clean I just couldn't stand to look at it the other 75% of the time.? My next car (5er) is in Titanium Silver as this is one of the best colors for hiding dirt and dust.? Not only that, I think the car looks stunning in this very common colour.

One thing I've learned about BMWs is that if you want to know which color BMW thinks is the best then just look in the official press release photos and the brochures.? Usually they showcase one color such as Silver or Silver Grey or Orient Blue as in the E60 brochures.
[snapback]49514[/snapback]
Marcus,

The reason car maker use silver or dark color for the press is that it show the body's contour and edges. This is the only reason. However, in real life, choose the color that makes you love your car every time you see it
Old 10-26-2004, 04:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i sports package, Nav, HUD, cold weather, Prem sound, Orient Blue, Auburn int. Steptronic

interesting you said that Orient Blue with sport package is not available. I just orderd one and it's awaiting shipment. Is this a geography limitation?

Quick Reply: Carbon Black Vs Orient Blue