E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 08:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

Im a newbie here and thanks to this forum for all the valuable informations.

I have a problem with my car E60 525 2004. The car cannot start eventhough i have changed to a new battery. However, the car will start just fine if i jump start it. I dont think its d alternator or the starter coz there was a click sound when i tried to start. Any clue guys?

Thanks

xifaraind23
Old 12-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

sigh....not again.

battery.

If you jump start it, it's fine? Then you're using everything on your car except your battery. You're then using your battery and the battery/alternator of the helper car. This is bad battery week. You probably picked up a bad battery. Swap it out.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
sigh....not again.

battery.

If you jump start it, it's fine? Then you're using everything on your car except your battery. You're then using your battery and the battery/alternator of the helper car. This is bad battery week. You probably picked up a bad battery. Swap it out.
First i thought the battery. But then i have tried 2 new batteries (different brand) and still the same. The weird thing is, if i tried to jump start from the new battery that i bought, it works fine but not when the battery is in the boot. I checked all the terminals and all work fine. I also didnt get any battery warning or anything.

Does it have anything to do with the 'relay' as per the link below?

My link9
Old 12-02-2010, 06:01 PM
Senior Members

This is very odd. Where did those 'new' batteries come from? Do they have enough CCA? Cold cranking amps are key. I didn't have time to read that link and wont tonight but i wouldnt rule anything out bro. I remember there being some sort of relay issue or somehting. ALso are you jumping from under the hood? Just make sure everything is tight.....very weird. Let me think about it. Sometimes I just sit and stare at the car while running deductive reasoning or trying to figure out how to make a tool to accomplish the job quicker. Especially when do all my services here..... when I press all my own bushings and so forth here at home sometimes I need the correct shim to use on the press to force the bushing out against its will.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:11 PM
Senior Members

very good thread man...I know about the module in the trunk, and yes I've experienced fuse/breaker issues on an 03 E46. Never on my current E60. Very well could be related to this. In the E46 i had tranny keep slamming into limp mode. Replaced battery, replaced DME, ECU, MAFS and it seemed to solve...until I continue to go into limp mode when reversing and a tranny slam from 2nd to 1st.....found a faulty fuse box under the hood next to the ECU and there you go.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ht=61366901469 - I recommend everyone read the thread.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Contributors

I had exact problem.....check the positive terminal under the hood (not the trunk). Make sure it is not dirty or loose. Disconnect the battery first. Unscrew the nut holding the metal plate. Take out the red cable and clean everything out. The top may look clean, but underneat is where the problem is hidden. The red cable is from the starter!

If you have a meter you can measure if there is significant voltage drop there. When you jump start the car under the hood, the cable there has more contact and allows the starter to get the power it needs to start. Goodluck, let us know if that fix the problem or what is the cause of the problem.
Old 12-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
This is very odd. Where did those 'new' batteries come from? Do they have enough CCA? Cold cranking amps are key. I didn't have time to read that link and wont tonight but i wouldnt rule anything out bro. I remember there being some sort of relay issue or somehting. ALso are you jumping from under the hood? Just make sure everything is tight.....very weird. Let me think about it. Sometimes I just sit and stare at the car while running deductive reasoning or trying to figure out how to make a tool to accomplish the job quicker. Especially when do all my services here..... when I press all my own bushings and so forth here at home sometimes I need the correct shim to use on the press to force the bushing out against its will.
i bought a new battery then i thought its a faulty one so i changed to another one. Still no luck. Today even worse, when i tried to jump start the car wont start at all. it did start before this but not anymore. there was no click sound as well. The i-drive went blank, power window didn't work at all. i think i might change the relay as that is my main suspect.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:33 AM
Senior Members

Yes, it doesn't appear to be battery related but in between the battery and the main power cables to the accessories. We need to find easy to understand schematics. I have them for E46 but not E60. I'll poke around this weekend.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Members

Car wont start-image0002.jpg
Old 12-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Members

Hi, hope you can zoom in on the wiring diagram. i am hopeless at posting pics. Email me if you need a better pic or any other diagram.

Good Luck

Fraseman

frasey@btinternet.com

Quick Reply: Car wont start