E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car theft

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2005, 07:59 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Interesting. Over here, E60s are sold without the alarm. Did you install this yourself, or are they sold with the alarms.
[/quote]

The alarm is optional in Europe as well.

But if some professionals really want to steal your car the alarm is a laugh.

In Europe a lot of X5's where stolen, the rumour was that some eastern crims
found out about the codes - BMW did change the system, and now not many X5's disapear.

The Russian (a hugely vast country) market has a constant demand of stolen cars and the
Russian mob is ready to provide...

So if the con pros want your car, it goes by lifting the car into a truck or the keys are stolen.

The E60 is protected as good as it can be!
Old 12-16-2005, 02:34 PM
Senior Members

alarms are standard in the uk
Old 12-16-2005, 03:14 PM
Members

But in Portugal, BMW alarms are optional, as is cruise control. Dakota leather, on the contrary, is the standard seat trim in e60/e61.
Old 12-16-2005, 04:53 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='211980' date='Dec 16 2005, 04:11 AM
alarm is standard in the us, and very sensitive

stopped at gas staton todat with the 4 and six year old in the car. locked them in the car when i went in and they set off the alarm.
The reason your alarm went off with the kids was not them moving the car, but rather there is an interior motion dectection sensor. If you reach into your car with the window down when the alarm is set, it will go off. Comforting when you run in the store with the windows open and your phone sitting on the seat!
Old 12-16-2005, 05:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Green-Crayon' post='212312

stopped at gas staton todat with the 4 and six year old in the car. locked them in the car when i went in and they set off the alarm.
The reason your alarm went off with the kids was not them moving the car, but rather there is an interior motion dectection sensor. If you reach into your car with the window down when the alarm is set, it will go off. Comforting when you run in the store with the windows open and your phone sitting on the seat!
[/quote]

Yes that was probably the motion sensor but its not that sensitive. you can still steal stuff out of the car w/out it going off. The purpose of the motion sensor was for glass breakage more than detecting people reaching in.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:45 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='211980' date='Dec 16 2005, 03:11 AM

Dude, you'd be handcuffed here in California if you lock children in the car unless you're 60+ years old locking your child in the car
Old 12-16-2005, 11:25 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Alarm is standard on almost any new car in US, regardless it's cheap car or not.

I actually can't name any new car model doesn't come with a alarm. Can anyone??
Old 12-16-2005, 11:30 PM
Members

My Ride: just a regular E60

Internal motion sensor is looking for changes in acoustic echo profile of the car interior. Sensor is on the ceiling. Breaking the window will change the echo profile so the alarm will go off. But, not because it detected the breaking "noise" or high-frequency sound. Audi's have their interior monitor set up for glass breakage.

When you lock your car (equipped with current gen OEM alarm system, of course), the system takes a echo profile of the interior of the car. 20 or so seconds after the car is locked, the system is fully engaged for interior protection. So, at this point, if you are in still in the car and move your arm around or something benign like that, the alarm will be triggered.

What's interesting is that (at least in the Japan spec 2006 E60), once you lock your car with the key, you cannot open the car from the inside until the key is used to unlock. Also, you can disable your interior motion sensor and vehicle motion sensor when you lock your car by hitting the lock button on your key (2006 E60) twice in slow succession. In this case, alarm is activated only when doors, hood, and/or trunk is opened without unlocking.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 530i 05 M-technic Silvergrey whith beige dakotaleather

You can lock your car whith your kids in it and just press once more after it locked on the same button. Now your interior motion dectection sensor desabled
Old 12-17-2005, 11:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2012 535i M Sport Package

Originally Posted by wowe' post='212448' date='Dec 17 2005, 08:42 AM
You can lock your car whith your kids in it and just press once more after it locked on the same button. Now your interior motion dectection sensor desabled
That's what I do when I cant separate from my baby and take a nap in it

Quick Reply: Car theft