E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car shuts down while driving on the freeway...

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 09:36 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530I
Model Year: 530i
Default Car shuts down while driving on the freeway...

Hey guys,

While driving on the freeway, my car lost power and shuts off. I created a small traffic jam for about 5 minutes. After about 5 minutes later, while waiting for a flat bed from AAA, I started the car and ran fine for about a week.

Today, it happened again after I got off the freeway ( I got lucky this time!). About 45 minutes after AAA dropped off the car at my house, I am able to start the car and it runs normal (speedometer runs steady, no fluctuations). And the gas tank is half full.

These are the codes I have:

1. CDA6- Message (status electrical fuel pump, 335)
2. 2E83 - Electrical coolant pump, power reduced operation.

I replaced my fuel pump at 90,136 miles and electrical water pump at 83,420 miles. Is it possible that both can go out at the same time? This problem started after I accidentally touched the positive post of the battery with a metal part of the trunk when I was tightening the battery post. Could I have messed up the power relay or shortened something when it happened?

The car is a 2006 BMW 530i (N52) and currently has a little less than 117,000 miles.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Daniel

Last edited by E60I; 06-06-2016 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:41 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by E60I
Hey guys,
Could I have messed up the power relay or shortened something when it happened?
Probably, sure sounds like it. I'd check all fuses and relays on whatever circuits handle the fuel pump and water pump. I seriously doubt both components failed at exactly the same time, especially since they're both fairly new.
Old 06-06-2016, 12:00 PM
Members
Senior Members

Thanks for your help, Kyle!!!

According to the Bentley Service Manual, my car fuel pump is fused-protected by "Fuse F50". What does that mean? I see fuses and numbers below them on the right side of the trunk (where the battery is located), but I don't see the "letter F" anywhere with the number.

I have done the following:
1. Disconnected the negative battery to see if that could reset the short I might have caused.
2. Did the 10 seconds depress accelerator to test the electric water pump >>> Appears to be working because it was running for 10 to 12 minutes.

Originally Posted by KyleB
Probably, sure sounds like it. I'd check all fuses and relays on whatever circuits handle the fuel pump and water pump. I seriously doubt both components failed at exactly the same time, especially since they're both fairly new.

Last edited by E60I; 06-06-2016 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 01:54 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 550I BLK
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N62

I had the same issues. Had to let the car sit for about 15 mins then it would start. I told my indy guy I needed I crankshaft position sensor and he said nope I need a IVM Module which is a lil box of fuse that control electronic items. Thank goodness I listened bc that's what it was. Error codes gone and car driving great. Thanks indy shop. Jacksonville Florida.

07 550i

QUOTE=E60I;1579289]Hey guys,

While driving on the freeway, my car lost power and shuts off. I created a small traffic jam for about 5 minutes. After about 5 minutes later, while waiting for a flat bed from AAA, I started the car and ran fine for about a week.

Today, it happened again after I got off the freeway ( I got lucky this time!). About 45 minutes after AAA dropped off the car at my house, I am able to start the car and it runs normal (speedometer runs steady, no fluctuations). And the gas tank is half full.

I replaced my fuel pump at 90,136 miles and electrical water pump at 83,420 miles. Is it possible that both can go out at the same time? This problem started after I accidentally touched the positive post of the battery with a metal part of the trunk when I was tightening the battery post. Could I have messed up the power relay or shortened something when it happened?

The car is a 2006 BMW 530i (N52) and currently has a little less than 117,000 miles.

Daniel[/QUOTE]
Old 06-06-2016, 03:19 PM
Members
Senior Members

Hi Star69me,

Attached is the BMW Parts Catalog website, could you show me where I can find the part number for it, please?

Thanks!

Originally Posted by star69me
I had the same issues. Had to let the car sit for about 15 mins then it would start. I told my indy guy I needed I crankshaft position sensor and he said nope I need a IVM Module which is a lil box of fuse that control electronic items. Thank goodness I listened bc that's what it was. Error codes gone and car driving great. Thanks indy shop. Jacksonville Florida.

07 550i

QUOTE=E60I;1579289]Hey guys,

Daniel
[/QUOTE]
Old 06-06-2016, 04:41 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by star69me
I had the same issues. Had to let the car sit for about 15 mins then it would start. I told my indy guy I needed I crankshaft position sensor and he said nope I need a IVM Module which is a lil box of fuse that control electronic items.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

I've only ever seen IVMs on V8 cars. Don't think IVM is the problem. But yes, definitely one of the first places to look for the V8 car owners.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:17 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 550I BLK
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N62

Yep KyleB is right. I was just thinking e60 but it's e60 v8's and I have a e60 v8 aka n62

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

I've only ever seen IVMs on V8 cars. Don't think IVM is the problem. But yes, definitely one of the first places to look for the V8 car owners.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:28 AM
Members
Senior Members

Guys,

Because my car randomly shuts off twice already, I am thinking the fuel pump is bad. I am thinking of putting the old one back and see if that will solve my scary problem. It has over 90,000 miles on it and was working fine before I replaced it (as preventative maintenance). Do you think that's a good idea or not? New parts are not always reliable... :-(

I thoroughly cleaned the air cleaner assembly, MAF sensor and changed my air filter to BMW part today. While doing it, I noticed the big, "flexible" tube that connects between the resonator and air cleaner assembly wasn't tightened by a metal fastener. Could that cause the car to shut off while driving?

Link to the part: http://www.bmwdirectparts.com/auto-p...ir-intake-scat

By the way, I randomly turned the car on and off four or five times today; and each time the engines starts and runs fine (no codes popping up!). I just don't want to be stuck on the freeway again when the engine randomly shuts off.

Thanks!

Last edited by E60I; 06-07-2016 at 02:57 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:59 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by E60I
Guys,

Because my car randomly shuts off twice already, I am thinking the fuel pump is bad. I am thinking of putting the old one back and see if that will solve my scary problem. It has over 90,000 miles on it and was working fine before I replaced it (as preventative maintenance). Do you think that's a good idea or not? New parts are not always reliable... :-(
If you still have the old one it might not hurt to try it, I probably would. You're correct, new parts aren't always reliable. Any part on any car can fail at any time.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:24 AM
Members
Senior Members

Kyle,

Do you know how to test the fuel pressure with INPA or other related softwares? I have the softwares I bought from Autohause a few years ago, but can hardly understand anything because they are in German...

If you still have the old one it might not hurt to try it, I probably would. You're correct, new parts aren't always reliable. Any part on any car can fail at any time.

Quick Reply: Car shuts down while driving on the freeway...