E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car in Shop for almost a week...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 06:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 Titanium Silver BMW 530iA, Sport & Premium Package, Active Steering, Anti-Roll-Suspension, Adaptive Headlight, Navigation, OEM M-Tech Kit, Authentic RD Trunk Spoiler, VIP Modular Wheels: 245/35/20; 275/30/20, OEM M Trunk Finisher.

I went on my 3rd battery recently. Prior to replacing to a new one, I needed jump starts almost every other three days if I don't hook it to the battery tender every other day. I went to a few shops and even the BMW dealer said my battery was good after they charged me almost $300 bucks for the diagnostic test,recharging it and testing it over night.

To keep the story short, I think the bad battery killed my CCC. Now that the battery, IBS and negative battery cable are replaced, I do not have to jump start my car since 04/14/11(crossing my fingers). I really think a bad battery is the main culprit to alot of our car problems!

For what is worth, I also think a bad IBS will keep your car from going to sleep and eventually drain and kill your battery...

Good luck to you and anyone who have related issues!

Old 04-28-2011, 07:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550I M Sport, Premium pkg, Logic 7, Sport Automatic Trans, Paddle Shifters, Nav, Comfort Access, Rear Shades, Satellite, PDC

I had this problem about a month after purchasing an 08 550 on CPO las November. I documented all the times it would not start and what I did to remedy it, including charging. They took it in and replaced the battery with no other questions.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by gotabyte
I had this problem about a month after purchasing an 08 550 on CPO las November. I documented all the times it would not start and what I did to remedy it, including charging. They took it in and replaced the battery with no other questions.
I was having a frequent discharge issue. The dealer replaced the negative battery cable, which apparently has some sort of voltage regulation circuit, and my problem seems to be solved.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Remember, the dealership cannot even start my car at all....so this is a more complicated issue. I didn't even get a call today from the dealer which means they still haven't figured it out. I suspect I will not have this car back ant time soon. I sent an email to BMW NA to see if they'll allow me to turn the lease in 4 months early....am sure I will not hear back from them.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer
Sorry about your Pens.
Thanks, C
Old 04-29-2011, 10:04 PM
Contributors

Ok...car in shop officially for a week. They cannot start it and have no clue what the reason is. They are replacing certain modules on a daily basis and seeing what happens. If that doesn't work they will replace the computer. I think they should have done that first. Pissing me off!!
Old 04-29-2011, 10:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by DrLev99
Ok...car in shop officially for a week. They cannot start it and have no clue what the reason is. They are replacing certain modules on a daily basis and seeing what happens. If that doesn't work they will replace the computer. I think they should have done that first. Pissing me off!!
you got a decent loaner? if so, i wouldnt stress it too much.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by turboawd
you got a decent loaner? if so, i wouldnt stress it too much.
I have no loaner. I was not at the dealership when it was towed, and I have another vehicle. I guarantee the car would be fixed now by now IF I did have a loaner.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:30 PM
Contributors

Finally got car back today...diagnosis: Bad Battery!!! A week and a half for them to figure this out...what a joke. As I stated in original post, I had the car in the dealership the week prior for a discharging battery problem, but they told me battery was not the issue. So after checking 6 modules on the car, they came to the conclusion that the battery was indeed the culprit, despite their diagnostic evidence stating battery was fine. Car was dead every following day after recharging the battery, yet the kept checking modules instead. I can't imagine the man hours that went into trying to resolved this issue vs. what one battery would have cost BMW from the start.

Why didn't the car start despite a jump, if it was just the battery? They are guessing that the battery was so low at one point that the key chip was no longer communicating with the computer, hence they weren't "talking" to each other, sort of like a mismatched key issue.

In the end, all of my 4 tows over the past 2.5 years have all been from minor issues that should have been fixed in a day but turned into multiple trips due to incompetence. I still love the car but not the way the problems had been so poorly handled, by 3 different dealerships over the years.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

sorry to hear about the troubles

Quick Reply: Car in Shop for almost a week...