E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car is not responding well to remote

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 05:13 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Silver,Gray, Metallic. Blk Dakota leather. Nav. Heads up disply. PDC. Pro logic 7 sound. 35% tint. Mods. MTECH body kit. OEM trunk finisher and M5 spoiler.OEM 166 wheels. Blk and wht CF Roundels. Orion V2 AEs. LCI taillights with Ricky effect. LED interior lights. LED license plate light. HID fogs. Smoked LED side markers. White cluster mod. Coding. RPI scoop & BMC filter. Gloss black OEM grills.CF interior trim. B&B exhaust.

It an 04 545 so the key is the old style, not comfort access.
My car use to lock and unlock from halfway across the parking lot.
Now I have to stand right next to the car and hold the button for a couple of seconds.
I know the first thing you are thinking is it needs a new battery.
Well, first of all don't the keys charge while in use?
Also I have two keys, one is original and one is about 6 months old from the dealer.
Same problem with both keys all of the sudden.
Seems like it has to be in the car. The receiver or something??
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:00 PM
Senior Members

battery does not hold charge properly after period of time so may be you do need a battery replacement but TBH, I haven't read anything on how to replace battery for the old style key. I assume you just pop it open like any other key.

GL
Old 08-23-2011, 06:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Silver,Gray, Metallic. Blk Dakota leather. Nav. Heads up disply. PDC. Pro logic 7 sound. 35% tint. Mods. MTECH body kit. OEM trunk finisher and M5 spoiler.OEM 166 wheels. Blk and wht CF Roundels. Orion V2 AEs. LCI taillights with Ricky effect. LED interior lights. LED license plate light. HID fogs. Smoked LED side markers. White cluster mod. Coding. RPI scoop & BMC filter. Gloss black OEM grills.CF interior trim. B&B exhaust.

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
battery does not hold charge properly after period of time so may be you do need a battery replacement but TBH, I haven't read anything on how to replace battery for the old style key. I assume you just pop it open like any other key.

GL
I could understand that if it was only happening with my old key but I'm having the same problem with the new key.
I can't believe the batteries just died on both keys at the same time especially being that one key is almost new.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:08 PM
Senior Members

have you recently tinted your window? sometimes tint does interfere with transmitter signal.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
have you recently tinted your window? sometimes tint does interfere with transmitter signal.
Nope.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 550i
Model Year: 06

Its probably your diversity amplifier. Replace it and everything should be like new again.
DIY here https://5series.net/forums/topic/890...1#entry1051687
Old 08-24-2011, 06:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 speed, Silver Gray A08, Gray leather Mods: Hard-Wired Passport 9500ix LIVE , K&N Air + RPi Scoop, Mtech V2.1 AE, ACS pedals+Ebrake, flip up front plate, OEM 172's, Custom M Kit, M3 shift knob, Eisemann Race Exhaust 2005 X5 3.0 (the nightmare) 1998 528i SOLD @ 173K

Originally Posted by deansimpson
Nope.
I had the same problem, only works close to the car and sometimes not at all. Bought a new key at the dealer for 176 bucks and problem solved!!!
Old 08-24-2011, 10:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

+ 1 for the diversity amplifier antenna located in the rear windshield section! You might not even need a new one. It's entirely possible that the contact points on the antenna have become depressed enough against the glass that they just may need to have them raised back up. Follow the removal instruction and try that out first before springing for a new antenna. Good luck!
Old 08-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ETNav382
Its probably your diversity amplifier. Replace it and everything should be like new again.
DIY here https://5series.net/forums/topic/890...1#entry1051687

Not probably,
but almost sure,had the same thing two months ago,
replaced it,and everything working fine again
Old 08-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by e60oholic
I had the same problem, only works close to the car and sometimes not at all. Bought a new key at the dealer for 176 bucks and problem solved!!!
Thanks, but if you read the whole post you'll see I have a new $176 key.
Looks like I'll be replacing the diversity amplifier antenna.
Thanks everyone for the advise. I'll let you know the out come.

Quick Reply: Car is not responding well to remote