E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car jerks when put in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 07:08 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i DINAN
Model Year: 2008
Engine: V8

I have this same problem, and out of all the BMWs and other cars I've owned, I have NEVER had an issue like this Reverse. Wait, my wifes 328i had an issue where it would take 3 to 5 seconds to engage, but no loud bang.

Cold or warm, same thing. Although I'll try the Neutral trick, that sounds like an immediate work around. Much appreciated.

I'm not a fan of having to bury my foot into the break to avoid a huge reverse shift bang.

While I know my wife won't press the break as near as hard as I am.

I did note this to the SA right before the car hit 50K (last week) and he said the tech's looked at it and determined it was low on tranny oil because the mechtronic boot/sleeve was leaking.

WTF? I don't see a drop of oil in the garage, I look for these things. SA says these cars have extensive under carriage pans that collect fluids and they eventually get thrown out the back while driving. That sucks. I'd rather get a heads up on an issue than find out I'm out of tranny oil, when the bone-dry tranny locks up smoking on the side of the road. am i getting better gas milage with those pans? I doubt it? whats it for? to prevent the grass catching fire if I drive it over high grass??? I'm not taking pics of my car in a wheat field. not today at least.

Anyway, this SAT scares me. Nothing like a 4speed muncie on the floor of my old GTO... this SAT is figuring out how to calculate light speed at every 10th of a second. is that really necessary. thank gawd bmw's don't run on windows.

So, yes, the SA said they did reset the transmission adaptive learning, replaced boot, filled up and sent me on my way. Tranny seemed to shift a bit smoother (or at least I imagined it) but this reverse thing is NOT GONE AWAY.

Just worries me the torque converter or some damn $3,000 part is in pain and will end up dead soon. LOL
Old 12-02-2010, 08:29 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by theracerboss
The cause for the most part is engine rpm and gear timming.

If its a cold start issue, that you have when you cold start the car, either in the morning or after a 5 hour period of turning off the engine then

Start the car and wait for roughly 30 seconds, you will notice the engine RPM being high to begin with and then slowly drop. When it drops, switch to your desired gear and start driving.

Cause - There is a flush of fuel from the fuel pump that needs to burn out(causes high rpm), once that burns out your shifting will be smooth no matter what gear you switch to. In lay mans terms, you need to warm up the engine.

Its a common thing, I have experienced it in my BMW and my Lexus.
I would not worry about it.

The N trick works for me but not always .
thanks for this. i'm going to try this when i drive next time. my car seems to do it. i had a manual before this so i was really used to crank + shift and go. so when i start my bimmer i immediately go into R and always get the jerk thing. very weird, but hopefully this helps. glad to know it sounds normal.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I have my under carriage covers off for the time being...I like to know if I have leaks....besides i think the components like the wind.

I keep it clean when I inspect every few months. No worrisome leaking issues so far besides the valve cover gasket and I clean a tiny bit of oil off the rails every 4 months...but you can smell the oil smell sometimes. I have a replacement but it's not even near that bad to worry about replacing.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:08 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pining_garcia
Hi guys! Newbie here... I recently purchased an '08 550i and I noticed that when I put the car in reverse, it jerks bigtime (like it wants to take off in reverse). Also, when I am approaching a stop before the car actually stops, it seems like it shifts to 1st gear and you can actually feel it shift. Is there something wrong with the tranny or is this normal to feel the car jerk because it's a V8? I wanted to ask you guys first before I call my SA. Hope this topic has not been discussed as I dont know how to do a search on this forum. TIA
Old 12-06-2010, 02:19 AM
Members

How do they do the Transmission Reset? My 530D does the same when you come to a slow stop - feels like it jumps into 1st gear!