E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Car jerks when put in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 06:22 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '08 550i - Carbon Black/Black Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Logic7, Navigation, Sirius Radio, Steptronic, iPod/USB Adapter. '09 C350 - White on Black, P2, Pano, MM Package,18' AMG rims. '07 ML350 - Black on Black, Nav, Sirius Radio, B/U camera, 19' rims.

Hi guys! Newbie here... I recently purchased an '08 550i and I noticed that when I put the car in reverse, it jerks bigtime (like it wants to take off in reverse). Also, when I am approaching a stop before the car actually stops, it seems like it shifts to 1st gear and you can actually feel it shift. Is there something wrong with the tranny or is this normal to feel the car jerk because it's a V8? I wanted to ask you guys first before I call my SA. Hope this topic has not been discussed as I dont know how to do a search on this forum. TIA
Old 11-26-2010, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

try a transmission reset...

https://5series.net/forums/topic/400...moother-shift/
Old 11-26-2010, 07:36 PM
New Members

My Ride: '08 550i - Carbon Black/Black Dakota Leather, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Logic7, Navigation, Sirius Radio, Steptronic, iPod/USB Adapter. '09 C350 - White on Black, P2, Pano, MM Package,18' AMG rims. '07 ML350 - Black on Black, Nav, Sirius Radio, B/U camera, 19' rims.

Thanks! I'm going to try it tom.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Space Gray

i also acquired an 08 550.....upgrade from an 05 545.....i noticed too, the HUGE jerk/shake/jump when shifting in reverse....it happens on at least half of the shifts into reverse....i had a 750, and it did the same thing....i took it in and it was something in the software...i could be wrong but i don't believe the transmission reset will help this issue...i am taking mine to the dealer next week for the "reverse" issue...
Old 11-27-2010, 09:53 AM
Senior Members

Go to your dealer and tell him to reduce your engine RPM little bit.

to avoid jerking when you put in reverse before you put in reverse put your gear in N first and release the brakes then push the brakes again and then put reverse you will see the difference not just for BMWs do that for all cars

also when you park put the gear in N pull your handbrakes release your foot brakes and make sure the car is not moving then put it in P

maybe you'll need a transmission reset or new software or cleaning the sensors in the throtle to make your car idle like it came from factory

and welcome to the forum
Old 11-28-2010, 06:52 AM
Members

I have a 2006 550 and have the same issue when shifting into reverse, so you are not alone. I just make sure to do a quick stop at N before reverse and it's never happened since.

As far as the downshift while slowing. I also have experienced that... nothing jerky, more like downshifting a manual trans. I like how it feels and it allows me to use the brakes less. Hopefully, this isn't bad for the transmission as I know how delicate these can be.

Hopefully someone can chime in with more info.

/jack
Old 11-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

I would assume this is not normal. +1 on sensors or software. In addition, it could be that the vehicle either has too little or too much fluid. It could also be a battery issue or MAS dirty. I've seen it before. Let us know if the AT reset worked for you.
Old 11-28-2010, 03:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

The cause for the most part is engine rpm and gear timming.

If its a cold start issue, that you have when you cold start the car, either in the morning or after a 5 hour period of turning off the engine then

Start the car and wait for roughly 30 seconds, you will notice the engine RPM being high to begin with and then slowly drop. When it drops, switch to your desired gear and start driving.

Cause - There is a flush of fuel from the fuel pump that needs to burn out(causes high rpm), once that burns out your shifting will be smooth no matter what gear you switch to. In lay mans terms, you need to warm up the engine.

Its a common thing, I have experienced it in my BMW and my Lexus.
I would not worry about it.

The N trick works for me but not always .
Old 11-28-2010, 04:24 PM
New Members

I tried the tranny reset and it works! I dont feel the shifting to 1st gear when I'm approaching a stop. As far as the jump/jerking when put on reverse, it doesn't do it when you put it in N first before reverse. Saved me from the hassle of going to the dealer. Thanks guys!
Old 11-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pining_garcia
I tried the tranny reset and it works! I dont feel the shifting to 1st gear when I'm approaching a stop. As far as the jump/jerking when put on reverse, it doesn't do it when you put it in N first before reverse. Saved me from the hassle of going to the dealer. Thanks guys!
happy for you

Quick Reply: Car jerks when put in reverse